Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
These copyright laws won’t apply in outer space, where Bezos will take Blue Origin and launch his tv shows.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
The TV show can only cover stuff from the novels and appendices. They don't get access to the Silmarillion or other Tolkien lore.
I can't imagine a live action silmarillion. It would cost billions and there might not be much acting in general.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I can't imagine a live action silmarillion. It would cost billions and there might not be much acting in general.
I don't think anyone would try to adapt the entire book into a film; there's not an over-arching narrative. But there are dozens of individual concepts and stories that could easily be mined for a season in there, and they can't.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
If you only watch one movie that has a little kid getting shot in the face this year, make it POSTAL!!!

Just kidding don't watch Postal, even though it does have a bunch of kids getting murdered by the protagonist (it's really too bad that Uwe Boll apparently isn't making movies anymore).

I guess watch Possessor? In addition to having a kid get shot in the face, it's very weird and I think a bit overrated. Brandon Cronenberg is getting better, but he's not his dad. I liked it overall and the premise is really good, but the actual movie doesn't live up to the overblown reputation, IMO.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I watched Archive, a British sci-fi movie from a year ago. Cites almost every classic from the past, yet, at the end, goes nowhere with its punchline snitched from a different movie, out of a different genre. An uninspired downer, indeed, but the potential was there and once I went further and completed some of the leads by myself, which the script left untouched, I liked it more than crude Ex Machina. As a genre fan you have to watch it anyway, if you're not, then give it a chance for the low-key production. While usually the lack of money kills the fun, here it works as an amusingly aged patina, adding a lot to the outlandish atmosphere. Kind like the appeal of blocky polygons from the glorious PS1 era today.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Buffy would be more fitting to kill the Twilight kids. Those shitty movies ripped a lot from them.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I've never seen a Twilight film.

I'm not in the demographic they aimed for.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I own them all, but, haven't watched them...yet. I did buy and play the Twilight Scene It game on DS though, cuz it was like 99 cents at GameStop. 😂

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I remember watching the first Twilight film with a girlfriend, and groaning the whole time. It was horrible.

All these years later, I can respect the design and direction. Same way I can respect Michael Bay. They understand the lowest common denominator, and for the rest of their lives they will never have to struggle to live because of that.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Watched Silence of the Lambs tonight, a 4K rip. Loved the atmosphere. Don't mind that virgineaaah accent either.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
My ex made me sit through all of the Twilight films. While it was nice for her I only really enjoyed the last Twilight movie for its climactic final battle scene.

The one before that film was absolute torture. God I hate that fucking movie.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
The new Space Jam movie. Only needed to watch a few minutes to know it is probably the greatest film ever made.

My 5 year old, on the other hand, was like “this movie is bad and makes no sense”...pfft, what does she know?

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
The new Space Jam movie. Only needed to watch a few minutes to know it is probably the greatest film ever made.

My 5 year old, on the other hand, was like “this movie is bad and makes no sense”...pfft, what does she know?
Im curious about it. I know the old one is absolutely terrible because of Jordan's non-acting, but the whole game is fucking gold and one of my favorites.

Is the new one good in that way, or is it actually good?

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Im curious about it. I know the old one is absolutely terrible because of Jordan's non-acting, but the whole game is fucking gold and one of my favorites.

Is the new one good in that way, or is it actually good?

TBH i’ve never seen the first movie...but neither my 9 year old or 5 year old enjoyed it - we didn’t even finish the movie.

It felt soulless to me and the kids weren’t into it either. I think it’s pretty telling that my 9 year got up at one point and was like “i’m gonna go fold laundry with mama”...and I heard more laughs coming from them in the other room than any of us had watching the movie.

Shortly after my 5 year old and I shut it off and colored.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Well coloring dinosaurs with your kids is honestly a way better use of time then watching a totally pointless and shitty remake of an already shitty movie.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Yeah moe, as you know the time with your young'uns is precious...and it will keep them from putting you in a nursing home asap!

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
The wife and I tried watching the first Twilight with Rifftrax commentary and even they couldn't make it bearable. Some sub-CW level garbage. We turned it off after about a half hour.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
The wife and I tried watching the first Twilight with Rifftrax commentary and even they couldn't make it bearable. Some sub-CW level garbage. We turned it off after about a half hour.
Oh man, Rifftrax is the only way to watch those, and you're right. Even then. Yikes.

I actually saw all of the movies - at the movies because of my wife. She shit her pants on the books, so we went to watch it and OH MY GOD it was so fucking stupid.

She watches all the superhero nerd stuff with me so I figured I'd support her. We took her BFF along for the subsequent movies and the BFF and I just laughed out loud at the movies. It was a good time.

Reactions: Syn

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
You're a good man Horn. Lord knows she watches stuff you like so you have to return the favor.