Hypernoid a new Neo Geo ROM (arkanoid clone)

c0op3r

n00b
Everyone might already know about this but it was news to me and well 6$US for a Neo Geo game is a bargain anywhere.

So Hypernoid has been released for the Neo Geo as a ROM image.

Hypernoid Patreon

Its basically an arkanoid clone but still a nice game worked well for me on an TerraOnion MVS NeoSD Pro

I have no affiliation with TerraOnion or NeoHomeBrew just trying to share the info.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 26

driph

Overtop Pathfinder
15 Year Member
That looks great! How well does it play?

c0op3r

n00b
Pretty good actually - of course would be great if we had a rotating knob and a fire button, but with the CD pad controller ease enough to handle.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Wonder if the old steering wheel hack would work for this

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Pretty good actually - of course would be great if we had a rotating knob and a fire button, but with the CD pad controller ease enough to handle.
Maybe it could work with Nightmare Tony's driving wheel mod.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
F06C508F-AFB6-477F-9A07-5D0B5B8C0730.jpeg
It would have taken you 2 seconds to read the post above you. :lolz:

c0op3r

n00b
Turns out there is a spinner option in the setting, so if the steering wheel hack is based on potentiometer I bet it will.

NeoHomeBrew

Overtop Pathfinder
Hello, thank you a lot for posting the news about my Hypernoid release. I am happy that the game is finally available after about six years of developing on it and learning how to program for the Neo Geo system(s). I have added the release trailer to this post below for those who may interested in playing the game.

Regarding the spinner controls: I have tested Nightmare Tony's (RIP) steering wheel board for using it to control the paddle with a spinner device. NeoTurfMasta was so kind to provide me the PCB he build based on Tony's schematics. Unfortunately, it turned out that the board is not really suitable for precise paddle controls because the generated signals are not consistent enough for a very exact transition of the twist movements of the spinner knob, particularly when it comes to rapid stops or quick direction changes. Please don't get me wrong, the board works well for steering in racing games for which it was originally intended.

That's why I ended up using a different spinner board (developed by HPMan) which utilizes the same input method which is used in Pop'N Bounce. The board connects a spinner device (I have tested SpinTrak and TurboTwist) to the regular joystick port and uses the signals of the four joystick directions and the buttons A,B,C to generate a 7-bit counter which allows to detect the littlest bit of twist movements of the spinner knob which result in extremely smooth and very precise paddle controls. For developing Hypernoid's spinner controls HPMan has provided me two prototype spinner boards which also work perfectly with Pop'N Bounce. These spinner boards will be produced soon, I will post an update when they become available. Also, for those who use the MiSTerFPGA system to play Neo Geo games, the latest core update supports spinner controls for Hypernoid and Pop'N Bounce now (without the need of a special spinner board).

Here is the Hypernoid release trailer:

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
You would think the Neo Geo community would have an abundance of rotating knobs lolz :ROFLMAO: Joking aside, been following the development of this for a long time, congrats on seeing it through to completion! Its a great game and I hope you make more!!

NeoHomeBrew

Overtop Pathfinder
You would think the Neo Geo community would have an abundance of rotating knobs lolz :ROFLMAO: Joking aside, been following the development of this for a long time, congrats on seeing it through to completion! Its a great game and I hope you make more!!
It's just because those kind of Ball & Paddle games are made for spinners. It is really a completely different gaming experience compared to playing it with a joystick or joypad because the controls feel much more 'natural'. Thank you a lot for your kind words, I happy to read that you like the progress. I still want to add some details to polish Hypernoid even more. After that, I would like to continue on one of the game demos I have made in the past. Most appealing for me would be an top-down action adventure in the style of the older 2D Zelda titles (because I am a big fan of this series). Here is a video of the background tile engine I have programmed a few years back:

NeoHomeBrew

Overtop Pathfinder
Looks like an Amiga game.
Which isn't necessarily a bad thing I guess, there a lot of beautiful looking games made for the Amiga system. I have tried to do my best to draw pixel art that take account to the huge graphical capabilities of the Neo Geo system.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Which isn't necessarily a bad thing I guess, there a lot of beautiful looking games made for the Amiga system. I have tried to do my best to draw pixel art that take account to the huge graphical capabilities of the Neo Geo system.
Didn't said it was.

It's just the "feel" (specially pixel-wise) that screams Amiga. There's some Core Design look on it.

Perhaps I should have made myself clear on this.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
Looks cool will buy! any plans for a cart release? good that you support the darksoft cart

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
Yeah, i'd be interested in a cart release! There's that aliexpress outfit that releases carts with custom pcbs, it could be a cheap way to get it mass produced, but it means that it's .. also going to be bootlegged to hell.

but still, I'd love a physical cart!

NeoHomeBrew

Overtop Pathfinder
@ smokey and Shuri - I am happy to read that you would be interested in a physical release of Hypernoid :giggle:
I plan a small run of maybe 25 MVS/25 AES carts hopefully at the end of this year. I will announce it on my Twitter account when the plan becomes more serious. By the way, I am currently porting Hypernoid to the Neo Geo CD for a digital and a physical release aswell.

sirlynxalot

Enemy Chaser
Fagit of the Year
Looks great, when watching the trailer, I was thinking to myself that the artwork looks very detailed and that its clear this is looking like a fleshed out commercial release game rather than a quick demo someone put together in a short period of time. Way to go!

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
@ smokey and Shuri - I am happy to read that you would be interested in a physical release of Hypernoid :giggle:
I plan a small run of maybe 25 MVS/25 AES carts hopefully at the end of this year. I will announce it on my Twitter account when the plan becomes more serious. By the way, I am currently porting Hypernoid to the Neo Geo CD for a digital and a physical release aswell.
This is out now.

hitorkori

Cheng's Errand Boy
Got one via France as don’t ship to uk 🙄

Attachments

• F249CE6F-67E9-400F-9511-DB82604C4511.png
    F249CE6F-67E9-400F-9511-DB82604C4511.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 16