The COVID-19 Thread and Hypothetical Boxing Predictions

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’d love to watch another universe where the pandemic happens but Trump isn’t President. Would the outcome still be the same? Was trump the cause of America’s recent dysfunction or merely the manifestation of destiny?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
What is the CDC’s objective criteria to determine whether or not a vaccine is safe, assuming that said vaccine is otherwise effective?

At some point they’ve had to have made a decision that certain percentage of negative outcomes is acceptable.

Tough job.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’m just here to Bitch about how I have no staff.

You have to be 21 to work here but it’s fundamentally an entry level position. For our program the state requires all staff to have a bachelors. The same state who in part determines the amount of money that we can receive for our services.

Why would anyone work here when McDonalds pays the same or a dollar less? ( I heard a KFC a town over pays more!)

It’s fucking crazy.

We used to get a lot of employees in their last year or so of college looking to get experience working with challenging kids so they could have solid experience and begin a career in social services, probation, therapy, etc. now? Not so much. Why do the entry level work when you already have the degree?

Covid blows.

Looks like we may be getting vaccines for kids in the near future.

Once we have the ability to vaccine all school aged children I hope we’ll see an end to the lockdowns.

At a certain point we are going to have to accept a certain amount of Covid deaths like we do with influenza. It’s not a perfect comparison, of course.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
At a certain point we are going to have to accept a certain amount of Covid deaths like we do with influenza.
You mean like we used to do.
The last 18 months have proven that Influenza is not inevitable. It can be prevented.

The last 18 months has also proven that McDonald really can pay $15/hour+++
I've seen lettering on the arches advertising as much as $17-$18 an hour.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I’m just here to Bitch about how I have no staff.

You have to be 21 to work here but it’s fundamentally an entry level position. For our program the state requires all staff to have a bachelors. The same state who in part determines the amount of money that we can receive for our services.

Why would anyone work here when McDonalds pays the same or a dollar less? ( I heard a KFC a town over pays more!)
My GF left a job for a union shop that used to be the place to go. A week later, her old employer increased the pay for entry level to higher than she was making at either job. The union shop continued on like it's shit didn't stink and that everybody should be glad to work there.

She went back to the old employer and took a job that is a grade lower than the one she left. Makes more than she was at either place. Less headaches than before.

She has applied to some places and HR keeps on taking it's time. They act like it is 2009 or something and they can take thier time. "ohh, the person that is hiring for this job is out and won't be looking at applications for another week". IF you are in hirein' right now and a qualified application comes across the desk, call the person up and offer them an interview.... SELL SELL SELL. Don't call them two weeks from now. They probably have started somewhere else.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
You mean like we used to do.
The last 18 months have proven that Influenza is not inevitable. It can be prevented.

The last 18 months has also proven that McDonald really can pay $15/hour+++
I've seen lettering on the arches advertising as much as $17-$18 an hour.

McDs for $18 hour sounds like an excellent job.

I used to not get the flu shot but I probably will now. Before it was just something I never thought about.

I’ll have to look at influenza cases over the past 18 months.

Trump + Covid + PPL being crazy are starting to get to me.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
My GF left a job for a union shop that used to be the place to go. A week later, her old employer increased the pay for entry level to higher than she was making at either job. The union shop continued on like it's shit didn't stink and that everybody should be glad to work there.

She went back to the old employer and took a job that is a grade lower than the one she left. Makes more than she was at either place. Less headaches than before.

She has applied to some places and HR keeps on taking it's time. They act like it is 2009 or something and they can take thier time. "ohh, the person that is hiring for this job is out and won't be looking at applications for another week". IF you are in hirein' right now and a qualified application comes across the desk, call the person up and offer them an interview.... SELL SELL SELL. Don't call them two weeks from now. They probably have started somewhere else.
Oxfam once emailed me 10 months after I applied for a job there...

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Taking that much time to call you back is a good filter to keep you out of places that are buried under so much bureaucratic bullshit that you really wouldn't want to be there.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Did you get the job???
Like GX says, it was kind of a red flag. Had they led with "We hired someone else and it didn't work out. That's why it's been so long. Are you still interested?" it would be one thing. But it sounded like they had been putting off the hiring process, so while I'd love to develop ox-centric an ox-adjacent content, I passed.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Like GX says, it was kind of a red flag. Had they led with "We hired someone else and it didn't work out. That's why it's been so long. Are you still interested?" it would be one thing. But it sounded like they had been putting off the hiring process, so while I'd love to develop ox-centric an ox-adjacent content, I passed.

No shit they really called you 10 months later to see if you were still interested? LOL. Yeah, that’s gonna be a no from me dog.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Things are getting bad again in my county. Covid cases are up, so, we're back to twice weekly testing at work, and had to resume wearing goggles or face shields for direct care today. People are still quitting left and right at my job. The boss raised the CNA pay to $17.52 an hour, which is good, and something he should have done a long time ago. Staffing got so bad, they even had to hire travel CNAs to come in to work (I didn't even know there was such a thing), which I'm sure the union loved, but, things are rough right now.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Things are getting bad again in my county. Covid cases are up, so, we're back to twice weekly testing at work, and had to resume wearing goggles or face shields for direct care today. People are still quitting left and right at my job. The boss raised the CNA pay to $17.52 an hour, which is good, and something he should have done a long time ago. Staffing got so bad, they even had to hire travel CNAs to come in to work (I didn't even know there was such a thing), which I'm sure the union loved, but, things are rough right now.
We missed you, Mark.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

I think we’re at $16.50/hr. Everyone got $1.50 raise earlier in the year. Not sure that applies to people hired recently.

I am glad people are reevaluating their own worth. Some shit isn’t worth it for the pay. And many can make more working for themselves.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
No shit they really called you 10 months later to see if you were still interested? LOL. Yeah, that’s gonna be a no from me dog.
Haha, yeah. I politely told them thanks, but I found something else and am happy there. I don't remember if that was true or not. :lolz:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
McDs for $18 hour sounds like an excellent job.

I wouldn't work at mcdonalds for what I make now. Not even if the benefits were the same.

Now if I could make the same washing dishes somewhere, I'd consider that.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
That I don't think there will be any long term changes in managing flu outbreaks because of the covid crisis.
Who cares what you think? Your line of argument is embarrassing.

you’re a grown man talking like a Qanon cultist.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
That I don't think there will be any long term changes in managing flu outbreaks because of the covid crisis.

I disagree.

Covid has laid a definite roadmap.

Even the Epidemiologists in the CDC had no idea how preventable Influenza is. They even were taking it for granted. They were warning of the "Twindemic" which never happened because Influenza is preventable.