Anyone still playing Warhammer 40K these days? (tabletop game)

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Those sculpts have to be 20+ years old. I
Yeah, Gary Morley, the man who gave us the so bad it's good OG Nagash:
Naggy2.png

I think I have this one somewhere, stripped and disassembled.

Has anyone tried these high-end paints?
https://www.pegasoworld.com/product/kimera-kolors-acrylic-set/

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Nice! I missed out on cursed city. Doubt I'll get another chance from the sounds of it. How are you liking it? I love Blackstone Fortress.

Cursed City moved the game in the right direction, but it has some critics as well. Your heroes can actually level up now, so it's nice to have progression. The setting is excellent. It has more build up, which is the source of most criticism. Early reviewers only played the first 2 outings which are intentionally light and easy. The late game is more challenging.

The availability mystery is a bummer. Some people claim a mold was broken. Others say it's brexit. we don't really know, but it does mean the game will not likely see all the planned expansion content unless GW resolves it.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Had a random free night and managed to get this guy done.

Attachments

• 91FFA445-35AA-4835-86DC-D03C037F53ED.jpeg
    91FFA445-35AA-4835-86DC-D03C037F53ED.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Started working on some 3D printed terrain for upcoming Mordheim campaign. Picked up an Undead war band that I'll be painting up as well.

20210714_124551.jpg

Pretty happy with the first floor and am in progress on the upper level. My printer isn't all that great compared to what you can get now, but I feel like it did a really good job on these pieces. I think I'm going to look into getting a newer one as I plan on printing a lot of game terrain.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Looks great!

Anyone playing any of Mophidius’ miniature games like Fallout or even the Elder Scrolls one?

Been thinking about going to a local store and seeing what miniature games they are playing. I love 40K just don’t want to dive back in again.

Maybe kill team but idk.

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
Well, Mordheim is kind of the plan at this point. Though, may end up using the Skirmish rules from 6th edition as they are basically the same rules for the most part.

Anyhow, finished the building up and just need to put some matte varnish on it to seal and take the shine off.

20210716_204437.jpg

20210716_204416.jpg

It's the first bit of 3D print terrain I've finished. I've printed out a few other pieces in the past but never got around to painting them up. I wasn't quite sure how I wanted to go about doing it and was somewhat concerned with layer lines showing too much. In the end I decided to prime it with black acrylic Gesso, giving it about 3 cotes, and that went a long way to making it easier to paint.

Going to start printing on the next piece this weekend.

I've not painted anything in quite a long time as I had been having a lot of trouble seeing small stuff for a few years. I finally gave in and went to the eye doctor and got my eyes checked and some glasses. It's been amazing, something I should have done a long time back.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
The only person that will really notice the layer lines is you. Most people are still amazed at the resolution of FDM 3d printers.
I use a high-fill Primer from Rustoleum, and that's good enough most of the time. I'll do a few coats and sand it if i'm being picky.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Anyone use an airbrush for minis? Be curious to hear about your setup.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Anyone use an airbrush for minis? Be curious to hear about your setup.

I started with the discount starter set on Amazon. It's typically listed as Master brand with a compressor. They are usually $75-100. I used that for about 3 years, and then just replaced the airbrush with another Master for $25. Some people have quality issues, but mine have been pretty robust. Maybe if I did small details I would need a higher quality airbrush, but probably not...

It substantially cuts down time on painting large model counts. I can't imagine painting a fleet of orcs or zombies without it. Large models are also much better with airbrush so you dont get patchy brush strokes. I did about 500 CMON board game minis this summer. 90% airbrush.

I originally started with the airbrush to try and get better blends and OSL ; however, I never managed to get an eye for how to do this. And most people still use brush with glazing. I do some zenithal highlighting with basecoats, and then I go back to a brush. I think I imagined doing cloaks and skin tone blends, but i still do those better with a brush. Swapping colors is also a bit of pain at first because you have to spend 2-5 minutes cleaning out the pot before switching colors.

There 2 required tools are Iwata Airbrush cleaner solution and Vallejo Flow Improver. Both of these make operation super simple. You add flow improver and you will never get a clog. The cleaner solution dissolves anything left over. You'll need to take it apart to clean occasionally, and this cuts down on that.

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
I've been working on a second ship. Same model, but different paint job.

The thing about BFG that gets me is the aesthetic of ships really tends to lend themselves to darker paint schemes, however that tends to be a bit of a problem. The game, being played on a mostly black background of a space map, makes it a bit less visual appealing with dark ships that blend in. Some of the factions have ship designs that work well with brighter colors and fit the theme of the races, but with these imperial ships I'm having some trouble getting something worked out.

20210927_221940.jpg

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Going to paint my new Mortarion mini soon...pray for Mojo.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
The Forge World one? Also, pics of your painted ones?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
The Citadel one. My minis can't compare to the ones posted here (nevermind that I haven't done any in 2+ years).

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
^No need to be so modest, most of my miniatures are so-so but I still post them :D and I just realized my painting techniques are completely stuck in the 90s. Here are a few new ones:
IMG_0328.JPG
Kill Team color test, Khornate CSM, going with a Word Bearers -inspired paint scheme (Also John Blanche's stuff from the 2nd ed Codex: Chaos)
tumblr_mg3398PIrb1qhslato1_1280.jpg

...and a RT/3rd ed. era Beastman
IMG_0329.JPG

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Maybe I'll post the Morty when I'm done, but that will take a while. I mostly do Death Guard because they rotten anyway, so it's not a big deal if you mess up a bit (but also got a Tau Pathfinder team in my backlog, I wanted to test those Vallejo shifter colors on them).

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I do feel like my painting has a hit a wall sometimes, but there's only one way to get better. Experimentation. I take a lot more chances with my boardgame mini's, and I think that's helping me break some stagnant techniques.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I've thought of trying the Citadel layer paints and mediums, maybe a wet palette.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I've thought of trying the Citadel layer paints and mediums, maybe a wet palette.

The citadel technical paints are awesome. I dont have many contrast paints, but I need to get some of the browns.
I have a wet palette, but I'm too stuck in my methods. I use cheap plastic palettes, and I'm just accustomed to it. There's a bit of madness going on with my palette's, but it's organized madness.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
gaze upon this shitty lord felthius on his ketchup and mustard base that i got from ebay
20211108_211319.jpg
i already re-did the base color but it looks a bit shitty because i didn't care too much, will redo it later
the original color was something looking like a weak coffee color

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
that random hair works perfectly for Nurgle. Whomever painted it had the right colors in mind, but the execution was.... lacking.

Last edited: