Deer, oh dear

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Hunting isn't about the meat.

It is all about getting up really early in the morning, putting a bunch of stuff on, going out into the woods and freezing your ass off, getting drunk, getting sober and coming home after dark.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
It’s quite a bit of work to hunt and process a deer from start to finish probably a days work, I buy a rifle so I can hunt , the meats are shared with friends. Most has never ate it before. But it a learning experience for them , there is a huge native population that depend on hunting And wild games animal for food as they can afford to paid grocery store price for meat every consumable parts gets eaten and used , venison elk moose are considered high end meat goes for $30-$50 kg .

For some, Meats don’t come from grocery stores, and you don’t need a RV or a to go camping .

Last edited:

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
See? This is exactly what Putin was talking about. A kangaroo blatantly hops into this thread, passes itself off as a deer, openly mocks traditional hunter culture and values, and, by extension, patriarchal authority, and nobody does a thing about it. Well, don't say Putin didn't warn us when we're all naked, chewing grass in the fields, and talking to skunks and rabbits about not getting twitterpated by the girls this year...

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
People who own guns, who come from that whole scene, who had parents who owned guns, kids who own guns, need some kind of fictional narrative to justify their stupid multigenerational circle jerk violence fantasy. There is no practical reason to be a gun nut unless you love violence and only "bad guys" love violence, nobody wants to be evil...so to justify the guns you have in your cabinet a story needs to be cooked up, deer is the main ingredient. This story was subconscious and slow to cook, it became more popular as violence against humans became less popular. You can hardly kill anyone legally anymore, but you can always kill deer, thank the gun gods.

Spending $2000 and a weekend to get meat nobody actually wants to eat helps fuel the narrative. That's what you're doing here. You're propping up the framework of obsolete macho bullshit. You like the taste of deer because your ideology is based on a manufactured "need" for guns and violence. All of it is fake as fuck.

You contributing to this thread is more of you buying into an ideology that already owns you. I do believe in situations like that it actually tastes better...but only if you buy into the whole bullshit story. For people who aren't politically motivated to like deer...they don’t eat it. They don't even remember it exists except in times like this.

I dont’t hunt.

I like the taste of deer because it tastes good.

I first tried deer, and ate it, for years before I even even fired a gun, let alone even owned a gun. My parents did not own firearms.

I do own firearms. I haven’t fired one in almost a decade.

I don’t know what to tell you man.

Deer tastes good because it tastes good.

Some things are just at face value.

You also didn’t even answer my question.

You don’t shop at an independent butcher shop? Do you get all your meat from the supermarket?

@M

20 Year Member
My youngest sister, and her Native American husband, have collected, cooked, and eaten animals they've struck and killed with their vehicles. Smaller stuff, not deer though. They're not poor, just crazy. 😂

M doesn't eat at their house, no sir, he does not.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
We killed all their natural predators.
Except for trucks.

I'm in semi-suburban woods near a lake, so the deer are thick enough around here that it wouldn't be sporting to hunt them with anything besides bare hands.

On the topic of natural predators, there are tons of bedroom communities going up all over the place out here. It's been at least a couple of years since I've seen a coyote, bobcat, or fox walking through the front yard, but the deer are there every day. You can still hear the coyotes at night, sometimes, or see a turd in the street that looks like it's made of felt on account of the rabbit fur. That's the only sign they're still out there.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
People who own guns, who come from that whole scene, who had parents who owned guns, kids who own guns, need some kind of fictional narrative to justify their stupid multigenerational circle jerk violence fantasy. There is no practical reason to be a gun nut unless you love violence and only "bad guys" love violence, nobody wants to be evil...so to justify the guns you have in your cabinet a story needs to be cooked up, deer is the main ingredient. This story was subconscious and slow to cook, it became more popular as violence against humans became less popular. You can hardly kill anyone legally anymore, but you can always kill deer, thank the gun gods.

Spending $2000 and a weekend to get meat nobody actually wants to eat helps fuel the narrative. That's what you're doing here. You're propping up the framework of obsolete macho bullshit. You like the taste of deer because your ideology is based on a manufactured "need" for guns and violence. All of it is fake as fuck.

You contributing to this thread is more of you buying into an ideology that already owns you. I do believe in situations like that it actually tastes better...but only if you buy into the whole bullshit story. For people who aren't politically motivated to like deer...they don’t eat it. They don't even remember it exists except in times like this.

You ever get the feeling that maybe you've thought about this a little too much?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Except for trucks.

I'm in semi-suburban woods near a lake, so the deer are thick enough around here that it wouldn't be sporting to hunt them with anything besides bare hands.

On the topic of natural predators, there are tons of bedroom communities going up all over the place out here. It's been at least a couple of years since I've seen a coyote, bobcat, or fox walking through the front yard, but the deer are there every day. You can still hear the coyotes at night, sometimes, or see a turd in the street that looks like it's made of felt on account of the rabbit fur. That's the only sign they're still out there.

I actually saw a bear last year way up on the far northern Californian coast. It was pretty cool.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
When I was in my early 20's I took out a deer with my car. Some woodchucky folks showed up before the trooper did and asked me if they could have it. I guess they heard the call on the police scanner and raced out. Of course, my GF's dad had a grudge against them so he took the deer and gave it to his neighbor.

State police issued me a tag for the deer and everything.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Most deer all but disappeared in the Northeastern US during the turn of the 20th century from habitat destruction and over-hunting. When my Grandfather was a kid, he saw a deer in the woods and people thought he was lying.

The restocking of the deer population was through careful management and reforestation.

Last edited:

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
Venison is good! We eat it a lot here in Belgium during hunting season. same for boar. It tastes better then cow because it had a much more varied diet then any domesticated animal. Venison stew is the best.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Hunting isn't about the meat.

It is all about getting up really early in the morning, putting a bunch of stuff on, going out into the woods and freezing your ass off, getting drunk, getting sober and coming home after dark.

EXACTLY. And people who pretend otherwise are full of shit.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
What a strange bump.

I know someone who got some Elk meat recently. Looking forward to eating it.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Honestly M, you bumping this thread is, for me, the weirdest thing you’ve done on the site lol.

You bored?

I did always like that one Far Side Comic: “Bummer of a Birthmark, Hal.”

@M

20 Year Member
Deer season is in full force where I live and funny hunting pictures are everywhere in my FB feed. My co-worker's daughter shot a deer this morning, but, didn't know how to gut & clean it and called mommy at work for help. 😂

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Deer season is in full force where I live and funny hunting pictures are everywhere in my FB feed. My co-worker's daughter shot a deer this morning, but, didn't know how to gut & clean it and called mommy at work for help. 😂

LOL.

Why would you shoot one without knowing how to clean it?

@M

20 Year Member
Not thinking far enough ahead I guess? How hard can it be? Slit the belly open and remove the innards. She's probably just squeamish.