BEST TV Shows to watch... CURRENTLY...

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Greg is amazing, I've never wanted to strangle a fictional character more, everything out of his mouth is painful. The conversation with the media/PR lady about writing down tweets is brilliant.

Roman continues to be the best character of the series. Kieren Caulkin is one of the best casting choices I've seen in years.

The show is a masterclass in writing. The entire thing is amazingly well made but its real strength is how it treats the viewer by not explaining things, it is great at leaving out information that in lesser shows would normally be spelled out with dialogue and instead conveying it in through tone, body language or just trusting that the viewers intelligent enough to figure it out.
Yeah, I think that Kieran Culkin thing really become especially clear to me when he had that car commercial come out last year where he's basically in character as Roman in all but the name. Like, that's when you know a character has arrived.

Greg and the PR chick completely cracked me up, 100% agreed. Small moment, but so true to the character and Braun delivered it perfectly. I'd really love to see him win the Supporting Actor Emmy, but he'd probably have to beat at least one or as many as three (can Cox and Strong both be considered leads?) actors from his own show to do it.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Only Murderers in the Building had a good finale. Really enjoyed the series as a whole. Steve Martin and Martin Short are a really good combo.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Only Murderers in the Building had a good finale. Really enjoyed the series as a whole. Steve Martin and Martin Short are a really good combo.
I've yet to pick it back up after the first ep- is it a true finale, or does it leave room for a 2nd season? I prefer one-and-done type stuff.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Oh there will be a second season, it doesn't just hint at it. Agree with wasabi the finale was satisfactory.

Dope Sick episode 4- Michael Keaton stepping his game up, shit's getting real.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Kayvan Novak's line reading after the Colin Robinson incident was just exquisite. That scene made me legitimately LOL and then some.

Also greatly enjoyed David Cross, David Cross's girlfriend's refined palate, David Cross and Donal Logue's thoughtful and thorough evaluation of Nandor, Kristen Schall's perfect facial reactions during the same scene, Gizmo's dedication to doing quality carpentry work, Laslo knowing exactly how to get Colin Robinson to stop asking him questions about the books, and the housemates' reactions to Colin Robinson's tummy issues.

That was one of my favorite episodes of tv in quite some time.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
So the Wheel of Time books are getting an Amazon Prime series. I started the books but decided I couldn't stick it out for 25+ books or some shit so I stopped midway thru the first one.

Still tho, hopefully it'll be decent.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Kayvan Novak's line reading after the Colin Robinson incident was just exquisite. That scene made me legitimately LOL and then some.

Also greatly enjoyed David Cross, David Cross's girlfriend's refined palate, David Cross and Donal Logue's thoughtful and thorough evaluation of Nandor, Kristen Schall's perfect facial reactions during the same scene, Gizmo's dedication to doing quality carpentry work, Laslo knowing exactly how to get Colin Robinson to stop asking him questions about the books, and the housemates' reactions to Colin Robinson's tummy issues.

That was one of my favorite episodes of tv in quite some time.
I ma let you finish, but return of the Baron in “The Escape” is the best episode.

Reactions: jro

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Having two episodes that were that good in one, what, maybe 8-episode season of one show is seriously impressive.
We have 1 more left, right? Last two seasons had 10 episodes. So far only 9 here.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Berry playing the Snuffbox theme in the Piano in the season finale of Shadows...

Fucking awesome

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Started Catch-22 on Hulu(?) only 2 episodes in but it's not terrible. It definitely captures the spirit of the book.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
What We Do In The Shadows finale was pretty great.

Watched all of Squid Game. Worth a watch but not worth the hype. I could see how it would be shocking or mind blowing if you've never seen stuff like Oldboy, The Man From Nowhere, Battle Royale etc. basically most semi underground asian cinema in the last 20 years.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Finally started GLOW, it's was recommended so often by so many people that it turned into one of those things that I avoided in some sort of spiteful personal protest and the Orange is the New Black hype certainly contributed. But yeah it's pretty good.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Narcos Mexico season 3.
Love this show. It's a properly done bilingual bicultural series. Works as a spanish language production and works when it goes back to english.
Phenomenal cast.
The track used for the intro is spectacular.
Narcos Colombia was also sweet as fuck.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Watched Mare of Easttown this week, the cast is great and Kate Winslet's amazing. I like the show but it does get a bit ridiculous how many times Mare had to solve the same case over and over again.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Did not know this. I should read more King.
Not worth it. The two stories in question are good and worth reading, but I think that's because they're a couple of his earliest works, before he was discovered and hacking out shit for money. And unlike 99% of his output once he became famous, they actually have strong endings.

I went through a Stephen King phase in high school. I mean, I guess you could call it a phase. It was more like repeatedly trying one more book, figuring the next one must be better since he was so popular. But nope. They were all immaculately-crafted wastes of time.

Anyway the two good stories are collected in the same book, called The Bachman Books. The Running Man (zero resemblance to the silly Arnold movie) and The Long Walk. King pointed out the similarities in Battle Royale to his stories when he jumped to the defense of that Hunger Games idiot when she was being accused of ripping off Battle Royale. I don't know how explaining she was actually a third generation ripoff artist makes things better for her, but I guess that's how King's mind works. That, or maybe he was just trying to backdoor promote himself.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Stephen King sucks ass, he probably started living off movie adaptation inertia once they started to kick in and be much better than the source material.

There's a guy in Brazil that has the Guinness world record for most books written... Of course it's all shitty gas station pulp. This is how I see King, given the proper proportions. Too many books with no standouts

Edit: I always wanted to read Roadwork or that school shooting novel but I never found them when I was still interested in his earlier Bachman novels. This reminded me of them, maybe I should try finding a copy.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I binged all of The Haunting of Hill House yesterday. That ending sucked balls. I don't know what they were thinking, really shit the bed there. Expertly directed with some, amazing camera work. Mostly strong performances though the monologues got a bit silly at points. It had a lot going for it until that last episode.

I'll probably watch Bly Manor at some point but without Mike Flanagan directing everything my hopes aren't as high.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Midnight Mass- Holy shit, I honestly had trouble getting through this. It should have been a movie, there is zero need for it to be a 7 part series. Second this is Stephen King level trash and steals wholesale from The Mist, which I actually really like. But that works because it's a short low budget movie. This is so bloated and self indulgent that it's laughable.

I saw a lot of people mentioning the monologues as a major problem but I figured that maybe they were just nitpicking, but no they are constant, overly long and mostly unnecessary. I get that characters need their own moments and actors love getting a chance to really try and act but almost every single character (of which there are a lot) get a solid 5-10 minute monologue and some even get multiple. It's ridiculous and fucks up the pacing.

The whole premise is somewhat interesting and could work if handled in a different way but it's also just really, really stupid.

Some strong performances, camera work, a great setting and a handful of good ideas but it's all ruined by the writing. This is a total mess, I can see it appealing to people that liked Lost any of the other glut of supernatural/reglious horror thrillers that try to trick you into thinking that they are deep or profound.