BEST TV Shows to watch... CURRENTLY...

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Blade Runner: Black Lotus

Watched the first two episodes

The good:
-detailed, colorful environments that capture the look and atmosphere of the movies
-well done fight sequences
-likable enough characters for what little we've seen so far
-they do seem to be dealing with stuff that directly ties into both movies without relying on JJ Abrams-style overt nostalgic pandering. specifically the implanted memories.

The bad:
-characters look rubbery and cheap and stand out in a bad way against the rest of the show
-movement outside of the fight sequences is unnatural and weird looking; stuff like walking, facial expressions, talking reminds me of watching a mid-PS3 generation cutscene
-basic, generic "amnesiac slowly discovers she's a badass, wants to know why" plot so far. Willing to let them have a bit more time to get somewhere here since they've only had 2 episodes at 22 minutes each but the broad beats here are nothing we haven't seen many times before.

overall:
pretty okay/10

Willing to give them a few more episodes to see how things develop. It's not horrible but they didn't knock it out of the park on the first two episodes, either.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Watched the first episode of the Wheel of Time series on Amazon.

To be fair, I've read maybe the first two chapters of the first book in the 89242342345 book series. I know the very broad strokes of the story as my bro-in-law told it to me ages ago.

But I gotta say - shit was pretty fucking boring. And the 'trollocks' that my bro was going on and on about looked really fucking cheap, lol.

Also, the first season of Foundation ended this week. It had some interesting parts, but it's so far removed from the novels (in good and bad ways) that it's not really Foundation.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Watched the third episode of Blade Runner: Black Lotus.

It's moving incredibly slowly. This episode wasn't bad but we don't really learn anything we didn't already know from the first two.

So it's still a meh show overall so far. Since the episodes are only about 20 minutes a pop without commercials I'm willing to watch another one, but shit needs to start happening soon or I'm going to bail.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Oh it's low, I'm pretty sure he watches all the CW level DC series like Batwoman and Supergirl as well.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I liked the first few seasons of Arrow and Flash :emb:

Anyone watching the new Dexter?

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year

I heard the first few seasons of Flash are way better than the schlok that is out now. I liked the first... 3? seasons I watched. I havent watched any in a long time. I kinda gave up on the Arrowverse.

I have the Dexter eps but haven't actually started.

I wonder if they are retconning the last shit season of the show. or actually.. the last 4 seasons. Or 3? I cant remember how many seasons there were in the OG series.. To me the show ended at the end of Season 4.

famicommander

15 Year Member

Arrow had a few good years. 1, 2, and 5 were pretty good as far as superhero shows on network television.

Flash was a one season wonder, after that it's only worth it for the crossover episodes. The writers aren't good enough to tell stories that Flash couldn't solve easily with his absurd power set, so most episodes become about Flash being incredibly stupid so the villains have a chance to get some shots in.

Black Lightning was good for three seasons and okay for the final season. Really good run overall, and it benefits from having a much older lead because it doesn't get bogged down with pointless melodrama like the shows with teen/early 20s leads.

Legends of Tomorrow was horrible for a season and a half until they found the right batshit insane tone. Now it's hilarious, and has been for years. It's very self aware and they make fun of the other shows and superhero tropes in general constantly.

Supergirl was never good. The show preaches was too much, which is weird because you'd figure people watching it would already be sympathetic to the show's viewpoints. They're pandering to people that don't need to be pandered to; they'd watch regardless. I think in the last season Supergirl went up against gentrification and a corrupt city council member. Exciting stuff, I'm sure.

Batwoman has been a mess for the most part. Never a good sign when you have to change leads. The whole thing with Batwoman was that she was Batman's cousin and represented Batman's ties to his mother. So much of the Batman mythology is about Bruce and Thomas, but very little tied back to Martha (WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME). But the actress they cast for Kate Kane was a huge bitch apparently so they replaced her, and now the new lead is just some random martial arts instructor with no ties to the bat family at all.

Superman and Lois was actually really good for its first season. Easily the best season of any live action Superman show (low bar, but still). Given what happened to Flash after season one it's hard to have confidence going forward, but they managed one good year.

Stargirl is shockingly really good, but that started on their streaming service first and moved to CW later. It's based on Geoff Johns' JSA run. It's way, way better than any of the other CW shows.

On HBO, Titans sucks and Doom Patrol is great.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Legends of Tomorrow I knew was amazing when the bad guys shot George Washington with a Glock.

Shit was too funny.

I pretty much dropped the Arrowverse too.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Last season I caught on Dexter was the one with John Lithgow.

I wish they hadn’t of killed Sgt. Doakes.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year

Not a fan of Titans either. Ive watched the first two seasons of Doom Patrol, I think. Maybe 3. Not sure.

I really really love Young Justice - seasons 1 and 2. Season 3 and so far season 4 have been Woke-City and it just ruined the tone of the show for me. It sucks because it was so good, and was brought back from the dead - only to make it a lectern for annoying equality/racial/representation agenda.

Its a cartoon about teenage superheroes. Ease up on the intent there, writers.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Legends of Tomorrow I knew was amazing when the bad guys shot George Washington with a Glock.

Shit was too funny.

I pretty much dropped the Arrowverse too.
When Sarah comes back from Crisis on Infinite Earths to deliver the news about the death of Green Arrow to the crew.

Nate deadpans it and says, "He shouldn't have did the crossover" and walks off

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Arrow had a few good years. 1, 2, and 5 were pretty good as far as superhero shows on network television.

Flash was a one season wonder, after that it's only worth it for the crossover episodes. The writers aren't good enough to tell stories that Flash couldn't solve easily with his absurd power set, so most episodes become about Flash being incredibly stupid so the villains have a chance to get some shots in.

Black Lightning was good for three seasons and okay for the final season. Really good run overall, and it benefits from having a much older lead because it doesn't get bogged down with pointless melodrama like the shows with teen/early 20s leads.

Legends of Tomorrow was horrible for a season and a half until they found the right batshit insane tone. Now it's hilarious, and has been for years. It's very self aware and they make fun of the other shows and superhero tropes in general constantly.

Supergirl was never good. The show preaches was too much, which is weird because you'd figure people watching it would already be sympathetic to the show's viewpoints. They're pandering to people that don't need to be pandered to; they'd watch regardless. I think in the last season Supergirl went up against gentrification and a corrupt city council member. Exciting stuff, I'm sure.

Batwoman has been a mess for the most part. Never a good sign when you have to change leads. The whole thing with Batwoman was that she was Batman's cousin and represented Batman's ties to his mother. So much of the Batman mythology is about Bruce and Thomas, but very little tied back to Martha (WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME). But the actress they cast for Kate Kane was a huge bitch apparently so they replaced her, and now the new lead is just some random martial arts instructor with no ties to the bat family at all.

Superman and Lois was actually really good for its first season. Easily the best season of any live action Superman show (low bar, but still). Given what happened to Flash after season one it's hard to have confidence going forward, but they managed one good year.

Stargirl is shockingly really good, but that started on their streaming service first and moved to CW later. It's based on Geoff Johns' JSA run. It's way, way better than any of the other CW shows.

Agree with all of your viewpoints. Flash is only good in crossover mode. Legends, once it got out of Vandal Savage and Rip Hunter mode, improved by leaps and bounds. Black Lightning wasn't bad and it ended at the right time. Arrow was the better of the Arrowverse shows as for now, Stargirl is my go to show since I'm a sucker for anything JSA.

P.S. Yes, I follow these shows since I grew up on DC Comics starting back in the early 70's though most of my interest stopped after Crisis.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Swamp Thing was great but no-one watched it and it only got 1 season.

I blind bought the BD at Target out of sheer curiosity. I didn't even know it existed before that.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I heard the first few seasons of Flash are way better than the schlok that is out now. I liked the first... 3? seasons I watched. I havent watched any in a long time. I kinda gave up on the Arrowverse.

I have the Dexter eps but haven't actually started.

I wonder if they are retconning the last shit season of the show. or actually.. the last 4 seasons. Or 3? I cant remember how many seasons there were in the OG series.. To me the show ended at the end of Season 4.
Dexter New Blood is 100% sticking with the old canon. I know the gist of the story but haven't watched it. I adored the first few seasons of the original run (Lithgow season is one of my favorite tv seasons ever, really), but it just got so awful later and then that ending, I mean, c'mon, when your ending somehow makes Game of Thrones' ending look thoughtful, not good.

I dunno, I probably won't be able to resist checking the new one out sooner or later. Not sure my thoughts on Deb being the new Harry.

Gotta hand it to Hall and Carpenter working so well together on the show for years after they got divorced IRL.

One comment on Succession - much as I still enjoy watching the show every week, it sure feels like this season has been mostly stuck in neutral. Tom and Greg are easily the most compelling characters at this point IMO with Shiv being next and then most of the others kind of jumbling together.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Swamp Thing was great but no-one watched it and it only got 1 season.

I blind bought the BD at Target out of sheer curiosity. I didn't even know it existed before that.
It got killed by a paperwork snafu.

It was a DC Universe original like Doom Patrol, Stargirl, and Titans.

They were supposed to get like 30 million in tax credits for filming it in North Carolina instead of in Vancouver, Atlanta, or LA where literally every other DC show films. But the paperwork was filed incorrectly and they didn't catch it until after some arbitrary deadline, so the money never came through.

They ended up having to cut the season from 13 to 10 episodes and they announced the cancellation immediately after either the first or second episode aired. Didn't even have a chance, unfortunately.

When DC Universe got folded into HBO Max all of its shows went there except Stargirl and Swamp Thing. Stargirl ended up getting renewed for more seasons on CW, but they just aired Swamp Thing repeats as filler during COVID.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
It got killed by a paperwork snafu.

It was a DC Universe original like Doom Patrol, Stargirl, and Titans.

They were supposed to get like 30 million in tax credits for filming it in North Carolina instead of in Vancouver, Atlanta, or LA where literally every other DC show films. But the paperwork was filed incorrectly and they didn't catch it until after some arbitrary deadline, so the money never came through.

They ended up having to cut the season from 13 to 10 episodes and they announced the cancellation immediately after either the first or second episode aired. Didn't even have a chance, unfortunately.

When DC Universe got folded into HBO Max all of its shows went there except Stargirl and Swamp Thing. Stargirl ended up getting renewed for more seasons on CW, but they just aired Swamp Thing repeats as filler during COVID.

Out of sheer curiousity (mainly because I wanted to see if she was hot) I googled Batwoman...and turns out I know one of the writers. of the show We're Facebook friends. I havent talked to her in years, but we went to school together and lived in the same building for many years. She actually filmed the 9/11 terrorist attacks from our dorm and it was one of the more detailed videos of it. We played guitar together. I lent her a cd once. I knew she was a writer for Smallville a long time ago, but didnt know about the other stuff she worked on.

EDIT: she has a wikipedia page. I dont have a wikipedia page. wtf.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Begin your affair with her and send the "wat up" FB message

famicommander

15 Year Member
Out of sheer curiousity (mainly because I wanted to see if she was hot) I googled Batwoman...and turns out I know one of the writers. of the show We're Facebook friends. I havent talked to her in years, but we went to school together and lived in the same building for many years. She actually filmed the 9/11 terrorist attacks from our dorm and it was one of the more detailed videos of it. We played guitar together. I lent her a cd once. I knew she was a writer for Smallville a long time ago, but didnt know about the other stuff she worked on.

EDIT: she has a wikipedia page. I dont have a wikipedia page. wtf.
Caroline Dries?

You should hit her up for a role in the show. You could be the world's lamest supervillain, the Condiment King. He tries to squirt Batman with mustard and gets punched in the face.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
lol, yep Caroline.

oh here's her 9/11 video.

ah wish I didnt just watch that again...