I would like to buy a Neo Geo AES :-)

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I mean, I would get a AES, a few common fun carts, and a NeoSD Pro and call it a day. I like the old style black AES controllers so I don’t know what BillyGoatFucker is on about there.

I do agree with the sentiment that getting in heavy with AES now is a silly thing to do. But if you’ve got the money, who are we to stop you?

But personally, I’d spend that $xxxxx on something else: a once in a lifetime trip, a deposit on a home, a sports car… and still have change for a MVS or basic AES setup
I know you guys love to bag on mini Bulbousbeard here but he's right, MVS *is* the definitive arcade experience irregardless of price, and if I were lying then UniBios wouldn't exist. If you're serious about a game you can mess with all operator softdips for practice and fun, while many games running in home mode have gimped or missing options, especially early games. Not to mention how awesome it is to consolize an unit yourself.

AES is still valid though, especially if you go the cheap ass route with a multicard or a SD cart, but actually going for a real AES collection these days is just collectardism and posturing to impress a community of AES fanatics that is a shadow of its former self, ie. it's not that easy to find people that want to suck your dick because you rubbed your nipples while dancing with your homecarts on video anymore. Things get ridiculous when, as Zeta pointed out, the cost of one or two Big Tymer Jr. carts could be invested in a real big red (or even better, a big blue snk mvs cab) and its restoration. Why on earth would you choose to jump on AES from zero unless you won millions off a scratch ticket?

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I mean, I would get a AES, a few common fun carts, and a NeoSD Pro and call it a day. I like the old style black AES controllers so I don’t know what BillyGoatFucker is on about there.

I do agree with the sentiment that getting in heavy with AES now is a silly thing to do. But if you’ve got the money, who are we to stop you?

But personally, I’d spend that $xxxxx on something else: a once in a lifetime trip, a deposit on a home, a sports car… and still have change for a MVS or basic AES setup

I like every version of Neo controller but compared to HRAP or even an average DIY setup they don’t compare. There is a reason SNK used completely different stuff in their arcade systems. Pro stuff is way better and lasts longer.

I also agree that a ticket around the world is a much better investment than AES games, especially since there would still be money left over for an MVS when you got back…

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Yep. If you really want an AES, there are enough decent games you can buy for sub-insane prices. And a cab is a waste of money, especially if you're not interested in owning an arcade machine.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I also agree that a ticket around the world is a much better investment than AES games, especially since there would still be money left over for an MVS when you got back…
Not with covid tho.

I'd rather have a few games than having to do neverending quarantines.

However, I hope I can return one day to revisit the States. Would be nice to drive across the country from coast to coast.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Yep. If you really want an AES, there are enough decent games you can buy for sub-insane prices. And a cab is a waste of money, especially if you're not interested in owning an arcade machine.
Oh yeah, there are affordable games. If you think 3 Count and Fatal Fury are all you’ll ever need AES isn’t completely stupid.

Johnny16Bit

Fio's Quartermaster
The early Art of Fighting, World Heroes, Fatal Fury and Samurai Spirits are a great taste of the Neo Geo and can easily be found in good condition for less than a $100, even on the more expensive ebay shops.
3 count bout / Fire suplex is actually more expensive than those.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
The early Art of Fighting, World Heroes, Fatal Fury and Samurai Spirits are a great taste of the Neo Geo and can easily be found in good condition for less than a $100, even on the more expensive ebay shops.
3 count bout / Fire suplex is actually more expensive than those.

I didn’t know that. I just remember they used to give away 3 Count Bout with the systems.

Regardless… after you see KOF 2003 running on a friends machine you’ll realize you spent all that money painting yourself into a corner.

And then you’ll have to a) go buy the MVS anyway, b) start spending $1000 per game pretty quick and often or c) spend the rest of your live trying to convince people you actually prefer the six older cheeper games you can afford, that Metal Slug 3 and KOF 98 are post-shark-jumping garbage you won’t want and the price has nothing to do with it.

Johnny16Bit

Fio's Quartermaster
Yeah, or d) whatever he fancies doing. :)

I mean, MVS may be great and all, but if what the guy wants is AES, well - MVS isn't that. I have plenty of them home carts, enough for a lifetime of gaming, and I've never spent even half the $1000 you're speaking about. Granted, 2021 prices are higher than when I started my collection, but not everyone is looking to play Metal Slug on a genuine AES cart in a genuine AES.
If it were a matter of being sensible and all, you'd give up your smelly MVS as well and go the emulation or FPGA route. Maybe you'd even stop playing the same games you've been playing since you were a teen. After which you'd realize you've become Bulbousbeard - and I'm afraid there's no turning back.

glazball

Pleasure Goal
10 Year Member
@Neo Alec, thank you for the kind response to the OP, as it is daunting when getting into the Neo. I just find it hard to believe that he supposedly had a home system years ago but had to research MVS. That just seems.... weird. If you're not trolling us Orochi, then please do a lot more homework before you start spending money.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I think we as a community do a lot to scare off new people with talk of insane prices, console mods and consolized systems. But in reality anyone can buy an AES and get started.
You’re right. Getting started isn’t the issue. Realizing you bought all the wrong shit to begin with is just as easy.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
@Neo Alec, thank you for the kind response to the OP, as it is daunting when getting into the Neo. I just find it hard to believe that he supposedly had a home system years ago but had to research MVS. That just seems.... weird. If you're not trolling us Orochi, then please do a lot more homework before you start spending money.

This isn’t the first time I’ve seen a thread like this:

Read the ups and downs of user Kingpin. In Nov 2016 he’s excited to buy an AES, but by April 2018 he’s learned about Neo games some more, halted his AES buying and is praising the Omega CMVS.

You’d *think* nobody would be so stupid to spend sooooo much money on a system they don’t understand anything about but in fact it seems to happen repeatedly. We shouldn’t be surprised. They lots of people with more money than brains. Buying a Neo doesn’t make you any smarter than the Monto Carlo douche that wraps his Ferrari around a tree the day he buys it…it’s probably been the same guy at least once.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Not with covid tho.

I'd rather have a few games than having to do neverending quarantines.

However, I hope I can return one day to revisit the States. Would be nice to drive across the country from coast to coast.

Yeah, a trip around the world is not a currently popular thing. Substitute something else that costs three digits, a new Porsche, a new house, a world class stereo…you could build an arcade building on your property, whatever. Or you can have ROMs in $5000 plastic shells and never play them for fear of their value reducing.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Most people buy shit use it for a week and then let it get dusty and forget about it. Eventually selling it in years later. Who cares. As a reminder, these are video games.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
A loose Aes cart system with old style stick and a regular NeoSd is what you need if you want the cheapest most authentic experience without breaking the bank. I mean, it's not cheap. You're probably going to spend over $500+ when you add everything up.

Get a Rad2x cable if you're planning on playing on a newer TV or find yourself a consumer crt if you prefer to play on a tube. People give consumer crts away for free now in days.

If you plan on collecting original games and don't give a shit about flash carts, go with a consolized Mvs. It isn't cheap but it's much cheaper than Aes. You're still going to spend thousands after all is said and done. Some original carts like Viewpoint, Ganryu, Samsho V Special still fetch a pretty penny.

If you got money to burn and don't care about boring ass ugly scuffed up Mvs carts that have most likely been sitting inside a crusty Neo Cab in a roach infested arcade for like 15 years, go with Aes home carts.

When I was heavy into collecting, I had both. I always preferred Aes over Mvs and still do although playing on a nice candy cab gives you the complete Neo-Geo experience. I always loved the look of the home console and the way the games came in those cool looking cases with nice labels and manuals. It's the pinnacle of videogame collecting IMO.

I still own a Aes with a cheap handful of carts. Use a mister, pi, and pc for everything else retro. Thankfully most of this Neo collecting stuff is out of my system. Been there, done that, owned what I wanted to own and it's pretty much all gone now. I wouldn't get into Aes now unless you just want to collect. You still will play your Aes games but for the most part they will just sit on your shelf like expensive eye candy. You'll end up buying a flash cart in fear of scratching your precious carts that you paid thousands for. You'll end up pulling them off the shelf, bubble wrapping them, and hiding them in some dark storage area in fear the sun will fade those pretty spines on the insert lol.

Too many great options now to enjoy Neo games without spending all that cash but you do whatever makes you happy.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I always remove the eggs but the cockroach *droppings* I leave in the carts for authenticity's sake.

The way I see it, if someone once got knifed by a narco in 1996 after losing a game of Art of Fighting 3 on *MY* copy then that's the coolest copy of the game there could possibly be. I was big into arcades from an early age, back when they were pretty much all seedy shitholes, even in the US. In the 70s and early 80s every place with an arcade machine also sold cigarettes and booze so stank is more authentic than any shock box could be...at least by my sense of smell. If it could also smell like bowling lane wax the picture would be complete.

A Stradivarius under glass doesn't sound as good as the fucked up one. They literally need to be played often in order for the best sound to come out. Everyone who can play one knows this.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
You can look on any FB Neo related group and there are still people clamoring to pay hundreds of dollars for AES and now MVS conversions.
These people know that the flash cart option, the cheap multicart option, and the emulation options exist - it's about having something with these types.

There are still plenty of AES games you can get that aren't crazy and everyone who knows already said it, just get a blend of AES and MVS if you're going all in.

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
The way to go is consolizing your own MVS, buying many games and then starting to buy AES games from the cheaper ones.

And that and no other is the correct way because is the one I took.

BRING ON THE HATE

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
The way to go is consolizing your own MVS, buying many games and then starting to buy AES games from the cheaper ones.

And that and no other is the correct way because is the one I took.

BRING ON THE HATE
No no the best way is to do what we all have done,

Buy aes games
Realise you could sell and get more mvs games
Be depressed the shelf looks barren
Sell mvs games and buy aes games
Realise you can't afford the good games
Sell aes games and buy ports instead
Maybe play mame
Buy mvs or aes and a neosd
Realise you don't play neo geo anymore
Curl up in the fetal position and question your life choices.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I have the perfect solution to this. Just buy some empty repro boxes and print some covers and not buy any of the games.
giphy.gif