New neogeo homebrew in development : TEOT

Johnny16Bit

Fio's Quartermaster
Cheers for the encouragement ! Ozzy has been doing most of the job since the summer, and it's not been the most gratifying part of the development, to say the least, so he'll appreciate the support :)

Regarding the artwork, we have mixed news. We haven't been able to find any "ideal" source for the original artwok (we did contact the dude @gsn.ninja but he seems to be under a long lasting real life shitstorm and we didn't hear back from him). So the best we have at the moment is the one you can find here:
https://gamingremembrance.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F99494040253
Once upscaled, the result seems good enough to do a nicely printed cover. But as you can see, the downside is that the artwork is cut and has some effects applied to it... So we'll have to work from that it seems. :make_fac:

Johnny16Bit

Fio's Quartermaster
Alright, the game is now at "PC closed beta" stage, and we have started sending out the game for playtesting.
Next step will be Neo Geo closed beta, and finally we'll have a later Neo beta open on Fightcade for the final finetuning :)

Dunno when I get PM privileges, maybe I can send it to some of you as well soon.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Send it to me so I can get it to run on the NEOGEO mini, Arcade Stick PRO and MVSX

geladobom

War Room Troll
Yeah we'll appreciate the help with these, thanks. :) But that'll be at the very end of the line.

I Still praying for one day this original game get out of Korea and release it in to a dump. Even after the wonderfull job you are made with the remake version.

Last edited:

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Congrats for the incredible work you're doin'... I've totally missed this thread, and the latest version looks fantastic. The early versions badly needed character shadows to make them stand out from the background... I expected flickering black ovals, you gave us something way cooler!
Just a question... do you think it'll be possible to create a MVS bootleg cart when the rom will come out (for personal use, of course) to play it on real hardware?

Johnny16Bit

Fio's Quartermaster
Yes of course it'll be possible to make MVS / AES carts. We hope we can sell a few ourselves before some start appearing on ebay & aliexpress.
Just don't expect to be able to make one out of an old Samsho :)

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Yes of course it'll be possible to make MVS / AES carts. We hope we can sell a few ourselves before some start appearing on ebay & aliexpress.
Just don't expect to be able to make one out of an old Samsho :)
Got it. I've always kept bootleg carts as donors (don't worry kidchameLeon, no good game will be harmed 😁), I hope I'll have something capable enough to fit that much memory.

Johnny16Bit

Fio's Quartermaster
It's all written in C :)
But @ozzyyzzo is the guy you want to ask questions about the coding, I'm not doing any and know fuck all about it. I'm just using tools running on Windows - some he developped, and some more common ones for graphics and sound.

ozzyyzzo

n00b
@Johnny16Bit Sorry if I asked you this already but... what language are you using? Is it assembly or are you using the Neo C/C++ SDK on Github?

Yes, we are using C language and a slightly modified version of NEODEV SDK and NGFX for the sound system.

All others tools are homemade (Graphic Editor, Sprite Editor, Map Editor)

Some of them are also already available to public : (NgDataLinker, RomWak)

Johnny16Bit

Fio's Quartermaster
New gameplay video: a 1CC run of the lastest beta revision with the main character, Hoya. First time we show the final boss Mahesvara, too.

The 1st match demonstrates how the "Eye" system works: if you get stun, the Eye animates and you gain unlimited (for the round) access to the Extra (for Hoya, it's the 3 fireballs launched from mid air) or a single chance (for the entire match) to use your Secret (here, the Fire Geobugseon).

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
New gameplay video: a 1CC run of the lastest beta revision with the main character, Hoya. First time we show the final boss Mahesvara, too.

The 1st match demonstrates how the "Eye" system works: if you get stun, the Eye animates and you gain unlimited (for the round) access to the Extra (for Hoya, it's the 3 fireballs launched from mid air) or a single chance (for the entire match) to use your Secret (here, the Fire Geobugseon).
Looks very good! Wish the sprites had more animation frames, but that'd be a monumental task.

BTW it's too bad there's no specific "defeated" picture of the last boss, Mahesvara, and you had to enlarge a sprite... I guess it was like that in the original game, too. To be honest, I'd really like to take a shot at creating a new pose, based on the other pictures (I'm a decent amateur artist) but I'd need to download the original assets. Could you upload them for me (if you're interested and your artist isn't already working on it, of course)?

Last edited:

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
@Catoblepa I'll PM you some pics, we could use some help on this, thanks :)
Good, thanks Johnny 😉👍 I can't promise good results, but trying can't hurt either... in the worst case scenario, feel free to throw it in the trashcan where it belongs 😁

Last edited:

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member

I would pay $50 shipped for a Jean Claude Van Damme Neo Geo game. You should copy/paste his face on every character.

Last edited:

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Mahesvara has a new portrait (Johnny-approved, so I guess I'll see my "art" in a game, not bad!) 👍
I really wanted to get it right, so I used all the (scarce) references available, like that strange demonic tattoo on her legs that you can only see on the sprite. The clothes and the yellow ribbons are a bit trashed, like in the other portraits; it ended up bein' quite erotic, to be honest, but it doesn't show nipples, so... oh, well, who cares. It's more fun to look at. 😁

eqhdlhh.png

Making of, from pencil sketch to final (the open eyes made her look as dead as a doornail, I've gone for a "suffering" look instead):

42zQMsH.png