Arcade1up better than real cabs?

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Not an arcade1up but iircade is on sale right now for $249 for the bartop and the base for $50 on Amazon. They also announce all the games will eventually be online playable which made me instantly buy.

Im a big fan of US Championship Vball and Windjammers. Also Time Killers.

I saw that deal as well....it’s a fair price but I don’t know - the machine just looks so weird to me. Plus, not a ton of great games...though Doubke Dragon 1 and 2 would be nice, Combattribes, and some old Sega Ames Ike Alien Storm. I suppose Retromania Wrestling may be good as well.

It’s still available but for now I think I am going to pass. If I get some time later today i’ll look up some more videos on it, and maybe pull the trigger.

Big Blue is also on sale for $500.

Tron has also come out - I have zero interest in that especially at the ridiculous $700 price point but it is interesting because the machine is much bigger than any others release before. The height is about the same as Big Blue but the control deck is much higher. I wonder if that will be the same for T2 and Killer Instinct...maybe this is their new form factor. It kind of dwarfs the existing A1Up machines.

Glad I passed on the Simpsons - the button layout looks so dumb, Homer seems like he would not be playable because of that trackball in the middle of the deck for Simpsons blowing.

X-Men looks good though. I still prefer Turtles 1 and 2 as beat em ups, but if X-Men drops in price (from the insane $750 MSRP) then i’d consider it.

Last edited:

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I saw that deal as well....it’s a fair price but I don’t know - the machine just looks so weird to me. Plus, not a ton of great games...though Doubke Dragon 1 and 2 would be nice, Combattribes, and some old Sega Ames Ike Alien Storm. I suppose Retromania Wrestling may be good as well.

It’s still available but for now I think I am going to pass. If I get some time later today i’ll look up some more videos on it, and maybe pull the trigger.

Big Blue is also on sale for $500.

Tron has also come out - I have zero interest in that especially at the ridiculous $700 price point but it is interesting because the machine is much bigger than any others release before. The height is about the same as Big Blue but the control deck is much higher. I wonder if that will be the same for T2 and Killer Instinct...maybe this is their new form factor. It kind of dwarfs the existing A1Up machines.

Glad I passed on the Simpsons - the button layout looks so dumb, Homer seems like he would not be playable because of that trackball in the middle of the deck for Simpsons blowing.

X-Men looks good though. I still prefer Turtles 1 and 2 as beat em ups, but if X-Men drops in price (from the insane $750 MSRP) then i’d consider it.

If you plan to buy multiple 1up, i think getting it at Kohls is the best option. I picked up another big blue for the $599. I also got $210 back in kohls cash. Also got the price adjustment for the $100 off. So about $280 total. If only killer instinct was available i would have use the khols cash on that. I dont want any other 1up.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Got X men with the price error at Target for $600 + 5% off with red card. I like it. Used to own a 4 player in my apartment 20 years ago I got at an auction for $200. Didn’t even put the stool together. Too bad spider man isn’t on there instead of that avengers galactic storm turd. Spider man would have been licensing hell. They’d have to get Sega, Sony, and marvel to sign off on it. I don’t care for the 4 buttons on each player for galactic storm, otherwise, it’s great. Online plays smooth. If only people wouldn’t spam mutant powers.

IiRcade is having great sales for 40% off game downloads. I picked up Dragons lair 2, and some of the toplan and Psikyo shumps with leaderboards. Lots of Irem stuff is on sale too. In the hunt has leaderboards too. Got time killers and blood storm, because those never really got emulated.

Got Simpsons too. Originally ordered from Walmart, but they’re pulling the same shit as always with them popping up in stores first before online pre orders. No sightings in the Midwest yet, so I ordered from 1 up. Got it in 5 days. Bowling needs an update, but plays fantastic. So far it’s been a hit with friends who come over. The arcade plays well, and the weird button layout o. Homer and Bart aren’t as bad as the YouTubers say. The tin sign isn’t a small mini poster like Buck hunters, but a sizable 18X 24. Would probably go for $40-50 on eBay alone. The stool is cool enough for me to put together.

Ordered ms pac man 40th anniversary cocktail. It comes tomorrow.Selling ms. PAC man Cocktail to pay for it, and a sealed copy of persona 3 with strat. guide. I lose super pac man and pac land, but gain a light up deck, tower of druaga, rolling thunder, galaga ‘88, rally X, and rompers. I think I’ll upgrade the cocktail every year. I had the ms pac for a year. Of course, the 40th was on sale.

Noiseland arcade is basically full, but never done. Only have room for another v pin. If I want something else, it’s not spilling into another room. I have to sell something if I get something new. Only things that I would get at this point and at those prices would be

-point blank
-house of the dead trilogy
-Robotron/smash tv/ total carnage
-Dungeons & Dragons
-alien vs predator/captain commando/Cadillacs & dinosaurs
-new Williams v pin

No interest in Tron, Killer Instinct, or Ridge Racer at all. Tron looks great, but I played it at an arcade 2 months ago and the gameplay hasn’t aged well at all. Killer Instinct I played a little bit in High school, but I’m not into fighters anymore like I used to be. Thrilled for people who like it though. It has online play. There’s a whole fighting community for arcade 1up online fighters. Check out put your quarters on the glass on YouTube with Akuma Revs live play by play commentary. Way better than Yipes Mahvel baby. Racing games aren’t my thing, and most people remember RR from PlayStation 1. Everybody is drooling for Daytona.

Attachments

• 9F9F8C37-9176-401B-80B0-9FD10768936D.jpeg
    9F9F8C37-9176-401B-80B0-9FD10768936D.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 9CCE987E-F776-4467-92D1-88884E015564.jpeg
    9CCE987E-F776-4467-92D1-88884E015564.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Oh nice, congrats @GregN .

I'd pick up a new Williams pin as well....hopefully it would be Monster Bash.

iiRcade is still available For $300....I've considered it a bit, its a great price, but I dunno, I just dont like the machine.

I know its kind of ugly and only has 1 game and overpriced, but I am contemplating T2.

Aside from that, my must buys would be:

Monster Bash
Afterburner
Smash TV

If I could get them under $500, I would consider Simpsons and X men as well I think....

After that I think I would be done. I already have a nice racing setup with a GT Omega seat so I dont think I care for any upcoming racers...even if it were Daytona.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Yea ms pac man 40th cocktail is a nice upgrade. A few deep cuts on it like tower of druaga and rompers, and ms pac has fast speed. It’s having sound issues cutting in and out so I’ll have to take it apart and look at it when I’m off work this week. It was a wash pretty much when I sold the old one. Good to have a light up deck and deck protectors.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Got this Intec panel to hookup a Nintendo Switch to my new Big Blue. Also came w/ dongles to hook up mini consoles too. Going to try to find a way to have the arcade1up and consoles hooked up at the same time so i can switch between them.

262132187_1160224618139463_4634205737261429907_n.jpg

I also won the first Big Blue Arcade1up tournament last Friday!

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Got this Intec panel to hookup a Nintendo Switch to my new Big Blue. Also came w/ dongles to hook up mini consoles too. Going to try to find a way to have the arcade1up and consoles hooked up at the same time so i can switch between them.

View attachment 54245

I also won the first Big Blue Arcade1up tournament last Friday!

"My prized possession is a fucking fake street fighter cabinet"

"This weekend I spent time using the online feature of my fake street fighter cabinet to beat the children and mongoloids who were logged in at that time."

everyone clap for HDRchampion. We are so proud of you

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Explain how you already broke one of your joysticks.

That’s the replacement control deck that lets you play switch games on the machine. I’m guessing he just switched the top to something he preferred since that doesn’t look stock...but maybe it is broken?

It’s an interesting concept but I passed because not sure how it would handle 16:9 games on a 4:3 screen. I suspect the aspect ratio is messed up which would drive me nuts :)

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Just an FYI for anyone interested Walmart has Tempest on sale for $280. I wasn’t planning on getting it but I pulled the trigger because I like the notion of having machines with different control schemes...I could see my kids really enjoying Tempest with the spinner and centipede with the trackball.

Not sure i’ll keep it as I wasn’t planning on buying and I really don't want too many machines as I hate clutter, but figured I would place the order since $280 seems reasonable given it’s usually $450 and I can always cancel/return.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I had a Rampage/Joust/Defender/gauntlet cab at my yard sale. The neighborhood kid bought it. I begged him and his moms not to waste $75 on it as it gets old so frickin' fast.

Couldn't talk him out of it.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Only way I'd get a Defender (also Stargate) is if the control panel was exactly the same as the original.

Neo_Mike_81

King's Dry Cleaner
Sounds gay, but if can hook up a Dreamcast on one id be willing to get one. I see them all the time at Walmart. Yes I'm to broke to get a 1up cabinet.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Since Arcade1up showed up on the scene, a close-knit community has formed around the collecting and customization of the units themselves. In the years since the original Arcade1up machines hit the market, many of the more prominent 3/4 scale hobby youtubers have actually moved on to buy, learn to repair, and play real commercial arcade and pinball machines.

Recently their youtube community has been discussing this very topic since many have “graduated” on to buy real machines.

I think this is actually pretty awesome to see new blood enter the real arcade/pinball hobby (which is niche enough as it is). Many of these newcomers are learning to repair pcb’s, monitors, and power supplies and I think that the hobby needed more fans willing to preserve arcade hardware. Many may hate to admit it, but Arcade1up has acted as a gateway drug to real hardware ownership which is pretty cool imho.

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
As long as the new idiots stick to shitty US cabs then it's fine but I'm sure they'll graduate to candy cabs soon enough and make that scene even worse than it already is.

My thought exactly.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
As long as the new idiots stick to shitty US cabs then it's fine but I'm sure they'll graduate to candy cabs soon enough and make that scene even worse than it already is.
My thought exactly.

Maybe, maybe not. A big part of the hobby for this group seems to be nostalgia for american arcades in particular and japanese candy cabs don’t really seem to play a part in that from what I’ve seen, but of course, time will tell. :lolz:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I dunno, sure I started with american cabs, wanting/getting a Big Red, etc. But when I discovered candy cabs and their A. sexiness B. size, I won't go back to a Dynamo/Zback/BigRed/Blue anymore.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I dunno, sure I started with american cabs, wanting/getting a Big Red, etc. But when I discovered candy cabs and their A. sexiness B. size, I won't go back to a Dynamo/Zback/BigRed/Blue anymore.
Exactly.

Almost everyone I know that started with US cabs eventually either got bored with them (the nostalgia wears off pretty quickly once you have a bunch of giant ugly dedicated cabs sitting around not getting played) or wanted the versatility of candy cabs.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
why dont they just fucking make a decent new candy cab or blast city type thing. like someone just fucking make new ones and sell them to the consumers. hopefully that happens so we can stop this faggot ass shit.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
It was inevitable really. Any one with two brain cells to rub together will play on one of those things for an hour and be like "yeah, this ain't it" and sell it on Craigslist and/or move on to actually scratch that nostalgia itch with real shit if they have the space and the budget.

If it means more decent people in the community, great but there will inevitably be a transition period where we're pruning retards and Bojangles-a-likes for a while.

why dont they just fucking make a decent new candy cab or blast city type thing. like someone just fucking make new ones and sell them to the consumers. hopefully that happens so we can stop this faggot ass shit.

That Turkish guy who did the run of Mini Cute repros is your best bet right now but good luck finding enough 25-29" monitors to make it remotely feasible. Either that or you have to go the LED panel route and at that point, you might as well just get a Chewlix or a Kraylix. Honestly, I'd settle for some crazy bastard re-opening a tube factory and just churning out repro CRTs for the machines currently out there. Every time I see an old machine with an LCD screen duct-taped in to it, my dick goes back inside my body.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
100% correct. All these Arcade1ups have the build quality of a $20 Walmart particle board shelf and will be clogging up landfills for years to come. They are a symptom of everything that is wrong with society and this hobby. Every time some fagit buys one, we're one step closer to China taking over the world and uncultured degenerates taking over our hobby.