Arcade1up better than real cabs?

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Would love to see it but I seem to recall reading a while back that getting those factories back up and running for even a small-ish run just isn't feasible for the volume of people who would actually want them. If I won the lottery and had more money than sense, I'd totally do it but the economics just aren't there for someone who actually gives a shit about turning a profit to do it.

Every time I fire up one of my Blasts, my asshole puckers waiting for the monitor to hum to life.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
There is no feasibility in making the tubes.

Best bet would for a new run of chasis (and maybe even frames) for the most common TV tubes.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
These are dark times. But it's gonna be trendier and trendier to want a CRT. The demand will be there and/or the rich martyr will be around to do it for what he thinks is demand

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Lots of fagit ass haters here. Sorry, been playing my arcade1up, specifically Big Blue. The online feature really is the gamechanger. Not to mention, the next direction they will be doing is e-sports w/ them. I still do love my candy cabs though. Im going to try to find a way to hookup an arcade1up pcb to one.

262141884_452890629682192_3593409846686003226_n.jpg

I had a Rampage/Joust/Defender/gauntlet cab at my yard sale. The neighborhood kid bought it. I begged him and his moms not to waste $75 on it as it gets old so frickin' fast.

Couldn't talk him out of it.

Is that the 3player Rampage? That's actually a good deal for $75. People are paying around $350+ for that one. I dont buy any arcade1up if it doesnt have online play.

Another company to lookout for is iiRcade. I got it hooked up and this is really great cab, way better quality than Arcade1up. Its an ugly cab though. The leaderboard is really addictive. Im trying to get Kung-Fu Master top score, finally broke top 5. It does modern games too and was told that its powerful enough to do Dreamcast. They have a relationship w/ Sega, so its possible they can get some DC games. MvC2, CvS2, Chu Chu Rocket, Bomberman etc would be nice. Right now they have a lot of obscure titles and some classics games.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Is there even a factory still making cathode ray tubes?

CRTs are simply obsolete technology entirely.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Evidently its possible to 'convert' a TV's CRT into an arcade monitor, but I'd be lying through my teeth if I said I could do it even after looking at how to do it. Im honestly way too scared to go anywhere near a CRT's ass.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I've moved on from CRT's now that an LCD with a decent scanline filter is the same thing but better in so many other ways. However if you're going the LCD cab route you're better off buying a real cab instead of this garbage.

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
I've moved on from CRT's now that an LCD with a decent scanline filter is the same thing but better in so many other ways. However if you're going the LCD cab route you're better off buying a real cab instead of this garbage.
Those modern LCD cabs like Vewlix, Noir, & Lindbergh should be played w/ modern games, not retro arcade titles. The aspect ratio is just wrong, i rather play on these arcade1up cabs.

For those who dont know...Unico, the ones who made the MVSX is going to be releasing 17", 19", & 26" 4"3/5:4 screens. Maybe there is a chance they will release 29" for the Candy Cabs.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Those modern LCD cabs like Vewlix, Noir, & Lindbergh should be played w/ modern games, not retro arcade titles. The aspect ratio is just wrong, i rather play on these arcade1up cabs.

For those who dont know...Unico, the ones who made the MVSX is going to be releasing 17", 19", & 26" 4"3/5:4 screens. Maybe there is a chance they will release 29" for the Candy Cabs.

The aspect ratio isn't wrong if the game is set to 4:3 and integer scaled to fill the screen without distortion. Obviously you have black bars on the left and right but that's a non issue.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Is that the 3player Rampage? That's actually a good deal for $75. People are paying around $350+ for that one. I dont buy any arcade1up if it doesnt have online play.
That is ridonkulous. Thing is a POS. I only held firm at $75 because I was thinking of putting the LCD in the backbox of my 1up pinball project.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I might go ahead and cancel my order on Tempest. I got it cheap and I am sure we’d enjoy it, but I don’t really have any nostalgia for the game. I feel I kind of need to draw a line on which of these I buy because, like I said,I don’t want like 20 of these things...even if they are cheap.

Having said that, I went ahead and preordered T2. :D. Might need to get an Arnold bubble butt statue to go along with it.

@HDRchampion i don’t know if I told you, but I got Marvel vs Capcom up and running in my MSH machine. Haven’t set up the online yet though because I am pretty terrible at the game. Have you been playing online at all or just Street Fighter?

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
I might go ahead and cancel my order on Tempest. I got it cheap and I am sure we’d enjoy it, but I don’t really have any nostalgia for the game. I feel I kind of need to draw a line on which of these I buy because, like I said,I don’t want like 20 of these things...even if they are cheap.

Having said that, I went ahead and preordered T2. :D. Might need to get an Arnold bubble butt statue to go along with it.

@HDRchampion i don’t know if I told you, but I got Marvel vs Capcom up and running in my MSH machine. Haven’t set up the online yet though because I am pretty terrible at the game. Have you been playing online at all or just Street Fighter?
Yeah just been playing the Big Blue. Im ok in Vs series, i can hookup my MvC pcb to my other big blue, if you want to be terrible together.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I'd take Tempest over T2 any day.

Ya, Amazon ended up having it on sale for $250 and I had a bunch of rewards fdollars which brought it to like $185 all in...would be silly not to keep it at that price.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Can someone who's at least 6' tall stand next to one and take a pic? :unsure:

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
IMO the only value Arcade1Ups have to me are for games with unique control schemes like spinners or guns, but it's still a shittier experience than a real cab. At the price of a newer one you could buy a real cab or make one, it might take up the footprint of two Arcade1Ups but it'd be infinitely sturdier and better to play on for an adult. If you have one or two and enjoy playing them then whatever, but an enthusiast can do better if they're going to dedicate floor space to a thing that plays games. Also, seeing an entire room of Arcade1Ups is like funko-pop tier cringe to me, I don't get it

RE: CRTs - they're are ancient, heavy and obsolete technology fossils and we shouldn't be going backwards. I LOVE my tubes, but we all love em for what are arguably flaws in anything besides playing old games like a softer image, scan lines etc. I think someday we'll see someone invest the time into something that'll replicate those while also having the few benefits that CRTs have like non-fixed resolution, motion clarity and display lag, but the last two of those haven't been a issue for flat panel display tech in years. I hope in a couple years someone looks into short throw laser projection or something and actually whips up some good alternative

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
RE: CRTs - they're are ancient, heavy and obsolete technology fossils and we shouldn't be going backwards. I LOVE my tubes, but we all love em for what are arguably flaws in anything besides playing old games like a softer image, scan lines etc. I think someday we'll see someone invest the time into something that'll replicate those while also having the few benefits that CRTs have like non-fixed resolution, motion clarity and display lag, but the last two of those haven't been a issue for flat panel display tech in years. I hope in a couple years someone looks into short throw laser projection or something and actually whips up some good alternative
I have to agree. It would be rad if LCDs were released in CRT sizes/dimensions to have 1:1 replacements. Can you imagine a 29" LCD, with a scanline generator, or if you have a MiSTer, Shadowmask filters? AND my cab would be about 9 thousand lbs lighter.

I get the nostalgia/love for CRTs, 100%. But its time we move on.

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
I have to agree. It would be rad if LCDs were released in CRT sizes/dimensions to have 1:1 replacements. Can you imagine a 29" LCD, with a scanline generator, or if you have a MiSTer, Shadowmask filters? AND my cab would be about 9 thousand lbs lighter.

I get the nostalgia/love for CRTs, 100%. But its time we move on.

Did you not see my post? I just said Unico is releasing 17", 19" and 26'5" for drop in placement for arcade cabinets. If this does good, then a possibility of 29". I forgot to mention that these monitor replacement will allow you too hookup VGA, EGA, CGA, & HDMI.