What's the best console version of Ghouls and Ghosts? (non-feet behind the grass edition)

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
It's a game I've wanted to learn for many years, and playing the Supergrafx version on real hardware for the first time today makes me think the effort would be worth it.

Didn't like it on the Turbografx Mini, the lag kills it. Same with the Genesis Mini and the SNES mini, even the 8-ish frames of lag is enough to hurt here. Best 16-bit console version, I'm curious. [pour out a little liquor for Airraid]

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Here's a video with comparisons between various versions (8/16bit, consoles and x68k):

Don't know if it's the best but the MD version is my port of choice. I could imagine that the x68k version might be the closest to the original but it's no console so MD version it is, I'd say.

Man, what a great game.

Johnny16Bit

Camel Slug
I like the MD version best. The supergrafx does have additional graphical details, but I prefer how it sounds on the megadrive - and I think it matters more. All very subjective of course, and you can't go wrong with either of the two versions. One of my favourite games ever! :)

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Correct me if I am wrong but Sega handled the Genesis port.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Correct me if I am wrong but Sega handled the Genesis port.

From the Ghosts 'n Goblins Wiki:

A Mega Drive/Genesis port of Ghouls 'n Ghosts was also released by Sega in 1989 in Japan, North America and Europe. Programmed by Yuji Naka, the Mega Drive/Genesis version omits color and background graphic detail from the arcade version, as well as the opening intro. The ending was poorly translated into English. The final boss Lucifer was renamed Loki and St. Michael was renamed Valkyr. This version was re-released as a handheld TV game with Street Fighter II ': Special Champion Edition in 2005, and as a downloadable Virtual Console game for the Wii in 2007.

Sega also released a Master System port in 1990. This 8-bit version features an exclusive power-up system that allows the player to enter secret areas and upgrade parts of their armor. This includes helmets which gives the player access to new weapons and magic spells; chest armor which extends the player's energy points; and boots which increases the player's speed.

Source: https://ghostsngoblins.fandom.com/wiki/Ghouls_'n_Ghosts

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Many thanks, I'll have to pick up a proper Genesis cart.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I remember the first time I beat Ghouls n Ghosts, it was the arcade game on the PS2 collection. It took me roughly eight hours, and only the first time, didn't get to Lucifer.

I told myself I would never play it again.

Within a week or two, I was consistently beating the game and Lucifer in about 40 minutes. It is a near-perfect game. And still the best in the series.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I remember the first time I beat Ghouls n Ghosts, it was the arcade game on the PS2 collection. It took me roughly eight hours, and only the first time, didn't get to Lucifer.

I told myself I would never play it again.

Within a week or two, I was consistently beating the game and Lucifer in about 40 minutes. It is a near-perfect game. And still the best in the series.
It is

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I don't think directly comparing the SGX and MD versions of this game is too fair, and to be honest plenty of sega port comparisons from MD to the PCE line of consoles are a matter of STORAGE capacity. Excluding color (which *IS* superior on the PCE/SGX by a large margin, no ifs or buts here), both hardware perform just about the same, especially with the Supergrafx killing the 1-layer limitation of the PC Engine. Both capable machines with talented people working on the game and you end up with both great ports, the SGX having a graphical edge really only because of storage capacity for the graphics (and storage optimization).

Besides, those are always fun to watch and compare but who'd own such pointless machines such as the SGX or the much hyped by online neckbeards Sharp X68k? In the case of the SGX it was considered dead by NEC and external developers even before it released.

MD for comfy nostalgia, SGX to have something worthwhile on the damn thing, and arcade emulated ports on PS2 onwards for arcade maniacs.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Many thanks, I'll have to pick up a proper Genesis cart.
You won't regret it jro! BTW, should you consider to try the 32-bit versions, then be aware, that the PS has too dark background graphics with whole elements like trees or clouds missing. Go with Sega on this one, too.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
you can also pick up the Saturn version of Capcom Generations 2...

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
MD/Gen is definitely my go to versions.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
When we were kids, we wanted that perfect arcade port at home. But now that we're older, I think I speak for us all when I say we can appreciate the differences and limitations that ports to the Genesis have.

As they say in Thailand, same same but different.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
When we were kids, we wanted that perfect arcade port at home. But now that we're older, I think I speak for us all when I say we can appreciate the differences and limitations that ports to the Genesis have.

As they say in Thailand, same same but different.

Yup. I could always play the original on emu or one of the many retro collections I have for PSX and PS2 but that's not the point. The Genny version is a great port and readily available even for people who want to go the hardware route as it was released in big numbers and also was part of several n-in-1 game carts, and most importantly it's a blast to play. Sega did a good job with it.

Technically, the SGX and X68K versions are superior but good luck finding those with the needed hardware for a decent price.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
My choice is the Megadrive version and the close 2nd is the master system version, due to the extra content.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Is there something particularly bad about the original or something particularly special about the ports? I don’t get why you’d want to play a port for reasons other than curiosity when there are innumerable ways to play the original.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I think all the pre-Street Fighter II Capcom titles on the Megadrive were ported by Sega
Yeah, and newer ones, The Punisher and Wily Wars, weren't even developed by Capcom.

The Mega Drive Ghouls'n Ghosts is far from perfect, but seems to be well-loved. I enjoy playing through it, though even the Master System version is worth checking out.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
the Master System version is worth checking out.
Mostly because of the unique aspects such as the shops

Edit: I remember when the Megadrive game came out, no one really cared, at the time it wasn't something that relevant, just a filler port

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
DevilRedeemed said:
Edit: I remember when the Megadrive game came out, no one really cared, at the time it wasn't something that relevant, just a filler port
Huh, interesting point of view. The game was well-reviewed at the time at least.

I concede that, in America at least, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts made a bigger impact than GNG.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Huh, interesting point of view. The game was well-reviewed at the time at least.

I concede that, in America at least, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts made a bigger impact than GNG.
It made minimum impact. Ports where relatively important but Ghouls 'n Ghosts just didn't generate much. These type of platform games where slightly dated for the time, Sonic wasn't that far away, came out a year or 2 later. GnG was one of the first releases post launch for which reason it was seen as solid but unspectacular, by most media at the time anyway. I personally thought it was wicked

Ports-wise, at the time Golden Axe and Strider recieved greater adulation.
Strider was Sega made too right?