Student loan payments are starting up again soon

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
We have not yet figured out the societal ramifications of some of this technology. Maybe nothing will come of it…but I dunno.
See also: the printing press and the industrial revolution, the enlightenment, and the protestant reformation. TV and late-20th century politics.

Alvin Toffler and Neil Postman wrote about "future shock" in the context of how TV and radio were transforming society, and TV and radio are such minor developments compared to the printing press and the internet.

I don't think you and I will live long enough to understand what the internet did to us.

Last edited:

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Quick tangent.

I find it very difficult to imagine what "the history" of the internet will look like. Put that down to whatever you like, whether it's the collapse of the metanarrative, or whatever, but I think it's an indication of how the internet is shifting the paradigm.

FD4mdMjXoAMCzXf.jpg
Hello, future historian. Did this post survive to your time? Has this image jumped out at you, out of the sea of images we produced, as potentially significant? Good luck figuring it out. Your research is mostly going to turn up people talking about what a burden it is to understand this image, but unable to fully explain it. The death of the person referenced in this image was hardly commented on, except by people struck by the lack of commentary.

Anyway, have I paid off my student loans? My student loans have been paid off, let's say that. :emb:

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Quick tangent.

I find it very difficult to imagine what "the history" of the internet will look like. Put that down to whatever you like, whether it's the collapse of the metanarrative, or whatever, but I think it's an indication of how the internet is shifting the paradigm.

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u4.jpg

Hello, future historian. Did this post survive to your time? Has this image jumped out at you, out of the sea of images we produced, as potentially significant? Good luck figuring it out. Your research is mostly going to turn up people talking about what a burden it is to understand this image, but unable to fully explain it. The death of the person referenced in this image was hardly commented on, except by people struck by the lack of commentary.

Anyway, have I paid off my student loans? My student loans have been paid off, let's say that. :emb:

Quoted for posterity.

lithy

20 Year Member
Dammit, the collapsed quotes really do my joke no favors. Expand to understand.

Reactions: SML

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Alvin Toffler and Neil Postman wrote about "future shock" in the context of how TV and radio were transforming society, and TV and radio are such minor developments compared to the printing press and the internet.
I dunno. I think the impact of radio and tv combined is about equal to that of the internet, with maybe radio kind of encompassing the positive aspects of the internet, and tv the negative.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I dunno. I think the impact of radio and tv combined is about equal to that of the internet, with maybe radio kind of encompassing the positive aspects of the internet, and tv the negative.
Yeah, I was gonna say. We've all been molded by it, most of it unknowingly. It's difficult to describe the effects TV has had on culture. Its influence is beyond measure.

lithy

20 Year Member
Adulthood staved off for a few more precious months.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Zero debt bro here as well. :buttrock:

Wonder how many Americans decided to not go to college out of fear of it costing too much.
There are ways to keep college costs down. I applied to and was accepted to two colleges, University of Colorado Boulder and Santa Clara University. Santa Clara would have cost $34,000 per year after scholarships, CU would be about $9K (living on campus). I chose the latter and then transferred to Colorado State and moved back home after a semester and spent around $20K, total, to get my undergrad degree.

My mom's best friend's daughter was accepted to a hybrid MD program as an undergrad and took out over $250,000 in loans to finish it. She's a doctor now, yes, but she's still got six figures of debt. I have two Master's degrees and zero debt. I know that's not feasible for a lot of people but still, making good, pragmatic choices can go a long way.

edit: @Lagduf - right on about not needing to go to a high-end school for undergrad especially. One of the best teachers I had in high school told me that it doesn't matter where you go to get your undergrad because an employer (or a grad school) is just generally gonna say, cool, you have a Bachelor's, not oh wait, you went to a public school for it then go fuck yourself. A degree is a degree unless you get it from Devry.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
And many state schools actually have programs they’re well known or respected for, at least regionally or if not statewide. The school I attended was historically a teacher’s college and not a bad place to go to get a degree in education.

My state school’s costs were also fairly low and I’m admittedly a bum by not paying off my loans. I probably will get around to it when I’m working again.

Reactions: jro

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
State schools are great.

But just remember that it is taxpayer funded higher education.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
By forgiving loans for some but not others, it would be like punishing those who did a reasonably good job at managing their careers and trying to be responsible. I’m not saying people who can’t pay back their loans are all irresponsible, but it does feel unfair to those who’ve been making payments and will still be required to do so while others may get a clean slate. The guys in the middle always get screwed.
Using your logic we would never have social security, medicare, disability, public schools, the police, roads, or any government assistance programs because someone in the past didn't get it funded by taxpayer dollars. Basically anything not explicitly authorized by the constitution shouldn't be allowed so congrats, you're now a libertarian.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
No, norton is just a dumbitch who thinks he's writing things cryptically that he refines with his superior moral brain machine , and he gets a big hard dick over the line-RETURN-line post structure, as if he is some kind of zen poet or a wise intellectual monk. In actuality, he is a retard

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I’ve been trying to figure out what the intent of your reminder is but I’m too dense.

The point is that boomers and boomer-lites be like "Don't ask someone to pay your way, go to a state school like I did".

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
No, norton is just a dumbitch who thinks he's writing things cryptically that he refines with his superior moral brain machine , and he gets a big hard dick over the line-RETURN-line post structure, as if he is some kind of zen poet or a wise intellectual monk. In actuality, he is a retard

Just remember, nobody gives a shit about all the hard work you put into being "Champion of the Internet". It isn't like it will go on your obituary or anything.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Using your logic we would never have social security, medicare, disability, public schools, the police, roads, or any government assistance programs because someone in the past didn't get it funded by taxpayer dollars. Basically anything not explicitly authorized by the constitution shouldn't be allowed so congrats, you're now a libertarian.

I just want a free ride like everyone else :D

• Haha
Reactions: wyo