Glued AES games

PeterWar

I put my balls in the closet
Hello everyone,

I've begun opening cheap games that are already in bad state of preservation for the purposes of practicing on autentificating expensive ones. I've been told that some AES games come with glue from factory, but I'm uncertain about which ones.

This fatal fury was supposed to come glued but I found no glue and it was very easy to open.

IMG_0663.jpg

This king of fighters 94 did have glue and was a nightmare to open. Oddly enought it is a repaired game.

IMG_0687.jpg

Finally, what about the more expensive games like Garou or Metal Slug 3?

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

Last edited:

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Hello everyone,

I've begun opening cheap games that are already in bad state of preservation for the purposes of practicing on autentificating expensive ones. I've been told that some AES games come with glue from factory, but I'm uncertain about which ones.

This fatal fury was supposed to come glued but I found no glue and it was very easy to open.

View attachment 54720

This king of fighters 94 did have glue and was a nightmare to open. Oddly enought it is a repaired game.

View attachment 54721

Finally, what about the more expensive games like Garou or Metal Slug 3?

Thank you in advance for your feedback!
My Slug 3 is not glued. Never bothered to open motw.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
SNK wasn't consistent about anything, so not surprised at all if some have glue and some don't. I've only ever opened 2 carts--one KOF 96 jp and KOF 01 jp--the first because the boards didn't match what arcade collector showed, and the other because I had doubts about the label. Both were legit. While opening the carts is the most certain way to ascertain whether you have a boot, most of the time it's not necessary since there's lots of other stuff you can evaluate without opening the cart such as inserts, cases, manual, label, pins, and even what you can see through the back of the cart. That's enough to give you a good idea most of the time.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Every copy of KOF 98 AES I've ever owned was glued inside and thus were impossible to open. AES carts have two cylindrical support posts inside, that's were SNK would add glue.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
If it's repaired, then who ever repaired it probably glued it. Were there broken tabs?

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
If it's repaired, then who ever repaired it probably glued it. Were there broken tabs?
You don't understand, that KOF 94 has a factory repair wire, you can find that same thin blue wire in lots of MVS and AES games. I have a Metal Slug 2 MVS with such repair wires. My guess is SNK didn't use quite the right ROM chips.

PeterWar

I put my balls in the closet
I broke two tabs trying to open this KOF 94, I used two old credit cards. I'm very glad this was already a heavily worn cartridge. Opening my Fatal Fury Special was very easy and no tabs were broken.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
SNK wasn't consistent about anything

This, 1000 times this. SNK's quality control was pretty bad, and I'm guessing the production lines were a mess. There is no consistency cartridge to cartridge, manual to manual, insert to insert. Neo Geo stuff was an expensive product, but not necessarily a premium one.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
This, 1000 times this. SNK's quality control was pretty bad, and I'm guessing the production lines were a mess. There is no consistency cartridge to cartridge, manual to manual, insert to insert. Neo Geo stuff was an expensive product, but not necessarily a premium one.
When I opened my NGPC for the first time earlier this year, to upgrade the screen, it was missing three screws inside. Quality.

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
I broke two tabs trying to open this KOF 94, I used two old credit cards. I'm very glad this was already a heavily worn cartridge. Opening my Fatal Fury Special was very easy and no tabs were broken.
The real hotdog can open AES cartridges with his bare hands. You're supposed to flex the cartridge shell to open the clips, all one needs to know is exactly where they are. You can even see injection molding marks in the outside edge of the shell where the tabs are. Once the bottom two clips on each side of the edge connectors are freed, you just press the upper left and right tabs in, along the outside edge of the shell.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
When I was visiting West Korea, Dr. Docking once showed me that you could just weight your carts instead of opening them. Its since changed my life for the better.

I once had the pleasure of having Gogigui
(Korean BBQ) with Dr Docking pre covid, it was a delicious mouth watering dinner filled with wonder and delight.

We cooked some marinated bull testiticles, sticky glazed pork testiticles, Octopus testis sac seasoned with salt and pepper, and washed it all down with white gloopy ‘Soy-Boy’ juice.

Soon as the Omnicron restrictions are over, I’m heading back!