“Fixed” Mortal Kombat on Genesis

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
that narrator sounds a lot like a particular special news reporter from Channel 6 Action News if my memory is correct

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
that narrator sounds a lot like a particular special news reporter from Channel 6 Action News if my memory is correct
Mort Crim from channel 6 action news was the inspiration for Anchorman

Are you thinking Don Polic?

Last edited:

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Wow that amazing. Genesis really has a hidden power 🥰

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
It’s buggy on my Mega EverDrive Pro on my Genesis model 2. Did you guys have any luck? I bet it works better on emulation.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
It’s buggy on my Mega EverDrive Pro on my Genesis model 2. Did you guys have any luck? I bet it works better on emulation.
This was my question too - wanted to see if anybody tried it on real hardware or not yet as I don't emulate much of anything.

I guess I can try this on my Mega SG via SD card too (or I have x& everdrive) but if it's not running on real hardware probably won't run on the Mega SG well then anyway...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Yeah, seen it.

You either get it or you don't, eh. :)

It's like the (hopefully) upcoming new release of Sunset Riders on Genny that will be faithful to the original, can't wait.

In terms of arcade accuracy, the Sega CD/Mega CD version of MK is almost there, has more anim frames, voice samples, etc. Too bad it has some probs with loading, for ex. during the final fight but I still like it, it's my go-to version of MK.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Yeah, seen it.

You either get it or you don't, eh. :)

It's like the (hopefully) upcoming new release of Sunset Riders on Genny that will be faithful to the original, can't wait.

In terms of arcade accuracy, the Sega CD/Mega CD version of MK is almost there, has more anim frames, voice samples, etc. Too bad it has some probs with loading, for ex. during the final fight but I still like it, it's my go-to version of MK.
I saw that Sunset Riders update, sounds like it’s only the first level so far but I hope the progress continues.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Speed is more accurate on CD (near Arcade version).
But for graphics quality, hack version is just amazing.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
The new versions are proof that the Genny could have done these games way better than the original versions suggest. Most of the time, the problem was time constraints. I've read that for some arcade ports, a usually quite understaffed team had less than three months to complete, that's why the Sunset Rider developers couldn't do it real justice. Then there was the cost of RAM, the dev'ers had to cope with considerably less space than the arcade version in order to keep the price of the cart on a reasonable level.

That said, I still love the Genny version a lot, it's very playable and offers a worthy challenge, been playing it since ages now and I'm not done with it yet.

As for Mortal Kombat, I'm looking forward to the new version, even though my emphasis always was on gameplay and as far as I can see, it's more or less spot-on in the original Genny version so the changes will mostly cover sound and graphics. However, that's what adds to the whole experience so it's much appreciated, would be awesome to have all these new versions on cart but I'd also be more than happy with a digital-only release.

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
Always preferred the Genesis version over the (far superior looking) SNES version as the SNES version was so buggy and broken. At least the Genny version was the proper game.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
When I had the consoles, Genesis was my go-to version of Mortal Kombat. Then for Mortal Kombat II, SNES was where it was at for some reason. I recall the SNES version of MK to be a joke and/or unplayable

I owned the Gameboy version of MK too when I was a kid lol. Honestly it wasn't bad for what it was, a novelty

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
Yeah, SNES MK2 was a great version. The Genesis MK2 I think was a great attempt but was just a bit too much for the system

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I think MKII on Genny is great, I also have the 32X version and they run quite well side-by-side, of course the 32X has all the graphical bells and whistles but gameplay is good in the Genny port. It's the MK I played the most, really got a kick out of it back then.

FredyFired

Fired up the fuck
Noob of the Year
As for Mortal Kombat, I'm looking forward to the new version, even though my emphasis always was on gameplay and as far as I can see, it's more or less spot-on in the original Genny version so the changes will mostly cover sound and graphics.
I think it also polishes some of the moves, also makes Reptile playable, if you 1CC the game you fight Ermac at the end and you can also unlock Noob Saibot. So some gameplay stuff too, that's for sure.