The PSX DVR; the dumpster fire PS2 that I love so much

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
A dev kit...a open BIOS...these are not official retail nomenclature. The MGS comment is a much a straw man as your meem was. Do you know what "official" is?

At no point am I claiming that hundreds of thousands of people didn't use incorrect terminology. In fact, that IS my entire complaint in a nutshell. When people are apparently amazed that a "PSX" is a PS2 they clearly have been using the wrong term for a long time...but not so long that they remember when NCS was selling the actual PSX...or when NCS was simply called NCS instead of NCSX...what they became known as since "ncs.com" was taken and adding an "x" was a very common way to get around that.

If a Playstation 5 is a PS5 and a Playstation 4 is a PS4 and a Playstation 3 is a PS3 and a Playstation 2 is a PS2...why did you REQUIRE than an "x" be added to "PS"?

Is it because X is short for Xtreme? Don't be so extreme.

...yeah, pretty much. X Games. The movie XXX. People spelling extreme as Xtreme...yeah, all that was dead by the time the PS2 came out.
Don't want to sound nitpicky again but the movie XXX came out 2 years after the PS2

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Was thinking this too, also since they are so fragile you can bet it's gonna break on the way to your house even if you pay 2x the console's value in shipping.

I'd totally buy one as a luxury master-console item. Just curious, anyone know In what other ways can this thing break easily, assuming its owner would leave it in the same spot and handle the disc tray with care?
Most of them actually overheat due to poor design

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Don't want to sound nitpicky again but the movie XXX came out 2 years after the PS2

The cornball cliche trend has to be fully entrenched before the shitty movie's marketing muscle can work on the Beaviss and Butt-Heads of the day. Naturally they, being makers of totally crap movies, were behind the times.

From the Wiki: "This film was nominated for a Razzie Award for Most Flatulent Teen-Targeted Movie, but lost to Jackass: The Movie."

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
The cornball cliche trend has to be fully entrenched before the shitty movie's marketing muscle can work on the Beaviss and Butt-Heads of the day. Naturally they, being makers of totally crap movies, were behind the times.

From the Wiki: "This film was nominated for a Razzie Award for Most Flatulent Teen-Targeted Movie, but lost to Jackass: The Movie."
Too bad there's no equivalent shit award we can nominate every post of yours in this thread for

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member

Sorry to nitpick but It's actually spelled Beavis

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I owned one of these PSX units for awhile about a decade ago, I think I bought it from fellow member Jon.

It looked fucking awesome but was indeed pretty much useless. The worst thing about it was that all of the hookups including the controller ports were on the back hidden underneath this weird shelf that sticks off the back to make it look slick with no visible cords but it was a huge pain in the ass to access without moving the system. It also didn't do component out and instead used mini DVI or something else equally stupid.

Edit: watched the video, so it did do component but only through a specific Japanese D-sub connector lol. Oh yeah and the case had that same gloss finish that the Fat PS3s had just white, which means you can basically never touch it with anything except microfiber or else it scuffs like a bitch.

I didn't encounter any problems playing PS2 games on it but then again I didn't use it all that much during the short time I owned it.

Also I did hook cable to it and actually got a couple random channels to work.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
If the HDD goes bad you can revive it with a regular PSX2 HDD but you will lose the DVR xcross gui, recording shizz and all.

It was always officially called PSX, in fact all playstations are referred to in official sony corporate documents as 'PSX' they just tack on a number to the end every 5-8 years or so. No lie, kinda a big wig at Sony for the last 10 years so excuse me @BillyJoelZeta but you are completely wrong on all accounts.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
in fact all playstations are referred to in official sony corporate documents as 'PSX'
Lachie, you stupid fuck. That's not the correct type of "official" and neither is the fact that the people selling them & the games for them used it as a retail & commercial term . Do you even fucking know what "official" is?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Lachie, you stupid fuck. That's not the correct type of "official" and neither is the fact that the people selling them & the games for them used it as a retail & commercial term . Do you even fucking know what "official" is?
Excuse me? I think I know what official is luv, I wrote the book on official!

Yeah!

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
who knew youtube channel shilling could bring in such a great thread.

I owned one of these PSX units for awhile, I think I bought it from fellow member Jon.

It looked fucking awesome but was indeed pretty much useless. The worst thing about it was that all of the hookups including the controller ports were on the back hidden underneath this weird shelf that sticks off the back to make it look slick with no visible cords but it was a huge pain in the ass to access without moving the system. It also didn't do component out and instead used mini DVI or something else equally stupid.
I wasn't aware a PSX did not use the standard multi-out from PS1-PS3. Another reason NOT to use this dumb ass console.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
Fucking owned holy shit. If this were a japanese dating sim MSX game Burning Fight would have received lots of 'point' flags from Sylvie-chan, possibly even a date

I've been calling it the PSX my whole life
yes burning fight is a better version of gum_drops.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
who knew youtube channel shilling could bring in such a great thread.

I wasn't aware a PSX did not use the standard multi-out from PS1-PS3. Another reason NOT to use this dumb ass console.

That is sort of nuts but looking at pictures we see it has something better, normal home theater hookups. It has composite, Y/C, and D Video so it could use very common hookups (in Japan anyway) for any format the PS2 could produce. That’s, honestly, much better than a proprietary jack, especially if you would like to upgrade your cables.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Fucked up post, didnt't want to re-write it, can't see how to delete it.

Last edited:

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
AHEM:

gmjmFYV.jpg

I don't know why spergs get mad at people calling the PS1 the PSX. Yeah we know you read the PSX DVR wikipedia article, settle down.
Seriously the funniest response I’ve seen for weeks or even months, totally owned

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Yeah, I had one. It was extremely heavy and expensive to ship. It weighs around 25-30 lbs. I think I paid $150 EMS.

What I like to tell people about it is that it's basically a slower loading PS2. The DVR thing was useless to me, at the time, only dial-up was available in my area. Looking back, it was a waste of money. A "rare for rare's sake" purchase, as I like to put it. I would put it in the same category as the Panasonic Q but, I liked that a little better.

Yeah, no component sucked. The DVI cable for it was like $150, too.

Jon

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
A D-terminal to D-terminal cable shouldn't cost that much...but its useless on almost all gear sold outside of Japan. The only thing I've ever owned that's compatible with it is the XRGB series of upscan converters. Really though, the thing was only sold in Japan and all Japanese TVs from that time, good ones, had D-terminal connectors. If you actually lived in Japan, which was the only teritory the PSX was sold in, you'd easily make use of it.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
i am still not convinced on either side of the "PSX" argument. are there any closing statements before i make a final determination?

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
i am still not convinced on either side of the "PSX" argument. are there any closing statements before i make a final determination?

HELLO I AM A TIME TRAVELLER FROM THE YEAR 2050. YOU ARE ALL WRONG BECAUSE THE ONLY CORRECT USE OF ‘PSX’ IS FOR THE PLAYSTATION 10. HAHAHA 2022 NOOBS.