What's up with the Madden games now?

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Is it because he died? I don't really see how that could effect the value of outdated yearly sports titles that were printed in the millions and have always sold second hand for pennies.

I keep seeing guys bragging about going out and buying up all these old ass sports games. Am I missing something here? Not that I have any interest in this as I don't give a shit about sports but is this how low the game collecting scene has sunk?

Shit like this kind of makes sense if a musician dies and their records have been OOP for a long time but NFL games, really?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Sports games are undervalued as sports collectables.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
A guy I know who managed a Gamestop told me how they used to eventually shred the discs of the excess sports titles and throw them out.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I guess it's just so bizarre to me that something like this could happen.

Even just a couple years ago I could imagine getting a text from a friend like: "Hey did you hear John Madden died? Better go out and scoop all those old games so you can flip them lol"

And in response: "Haha holy shit could you even imagine..."

Except that it's actually happening and I'm not surprised. That says a lot about a bunch of things on multiple levels and none of them are good.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I think those would be babby investors are in for a rough awakening. Good luck selling those piles of sports games, maybe you can rope in an even more clueless reseller if you're lucky.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Every time a sports/celebrities die, their licensed game gets a boost in pricing temporary and quickly comes back down. See Kobe Bryant, etc.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The only issue is that they make so damn many of most of them and lots never sell through.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'll have to see if I still have an original boxed madden 1990 cart.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
IMO, sports games are actually worth collecting more than a lot of other games since due to the licensing they’re never going to be republished. It’s nice that they’re cheap too. Madden 01-05 at least are excellent games with enough unique between them to be worth getting

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
lmbo, dumb ol' speculators hoping to cash in on a dead celebrity. Doesn't even make sense really, John Madden hasn't been on the cover of a Madden game in decades so it's pretty tenuous that people would be trying to scoop up PS2 Maddens en-masse just on the name alone.

Unless it's like that one guy who's buying every copy of that Burger King 360 game hoping to corner the market and drive the price up. Either that or the current NFT playbook of owning something worthless and convincing others it's going to be worth more than what they're currently selling it for, so you better buy my garbage quick!!

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I own several, but, the only American football game that I ever really liked was Mutant League Football on the Genesis, which was still EA's Madden engine I believe. Orcs, skeletons, etc. playing pigskin and killing each other doing it was fun. Kind of Super Baseball 2020-ish in spirit. Mutant League Hockey was better though.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Sports games are pretty much recycled crap every year at this point. In the early SNES/Genesis days they were more fun but nowadays it's just bad glitchy games.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
No competition due to EA buying out the license.

Last edited: