Finally got a PS5

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
DS sanded a slow, plodding pace while BB and Sekiro want you to go right in and have perfect timing.

Oh absolutely, BB and Sekiro are way more fast paced, and since you can't block in BB, you have to rely on lightning reflexes to dodge at the right time/direction, and using the L1 weapon to parry. I *still* don't have parrying down 100% on BB. Some enemies like Blood Starved Beast I can parry almost every time, but most other bosses I cant.

Out of them all, Bloodborne is my absolute favorite. I've played through it numerous times, and sometimes I'll just start over just because.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
There isn't a controller converter to PS5 for PS5 games, so for now you're stuck buying a new PS5 stick for fighters.

For now I'm all set with my old fight stick for KOF XV on Xbox Series X, but I don't know what I'd do for PS5.

PS4 fight sticks work on PS5 games. Played the PS5 versions of GGS and KOFXV beta using mine.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I've had a PS5 for a year but managed to snag a Xbox Series X yesterday as it was back in stock in Argos.

I already have a Xbox Series S which I've had for a year, but I want dat 4k in all my games (when possible).
The Series S is the only new console I've actually seen in stores while out and about (just one and just once). Not spotted a PS5 or Series X yet.

Still kinda lolz that a Series S is a touch less powerful than a One X is. But that's what was needed to get the cost down so much on it compared to the Series X I suppose as just cutting the optical drive out of it wouldn't be enough.

I've been perfectly fine w/playing my games in 4K on my One X. My Pro doesn't handle games as well in 4K but will play em. Though that SSD upgrade I did to the Pro certainly helped it deal with 4K

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
The Series S is the only new console I've actually seen in stores while out and about (just one and just once). Not spotted a PS5 or Series X yet.

Still kinda lolz that a Series S is a touch less powerful than a One X is. But that's what was needed to get the cost down so much on it compared to the Series X I suppose as just cutting the optical drive out of it wouldn't be enough.

I've been perfectly fine w/playing my games in 4K on my One X. My Pro doesn't handle games as well in 4K but will play em. Though that SSD upgrade I did to the Pro certainly helped it deal with 4K

The Xbox One X was and still is an excellent console. Apart from the faster load times on the Xbox Series S - I wish I hadn't sold my One X to fund the Series S with hindsight.

I was waiting on a inevitable slimmer Xbox Series X to come out as I think the big black box looks pretty shit if I'm honest. But, end of year, probably going into another lockdown... fuck it was my thinking process when I saw one for sale which did not need a bundle or other BS to buy.

I haven't decided what to do with Series S yet - it's a great little console in its own way but mine will probably end up on eBay.

PS4 Pro to PS5 is IMO a worth while jump though, PS4 games do run smoothly (even the 4k ones) and the SSD does reduce those load times by a very noticeable amount. I guess your PS4 Pro with SSD will be closer than my old mechanical drive PS4 Pro was to the PS5, but it won't totally overcome the FPS difference.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
The Xbox One X was and still is an excellent console. Apart from the faster load times on the Xbox Series S - I wish I hadn't sold my One X to fund the Series S with hindsight.

I was waiting on a inevitable slimmer Xbox Series X to come out as I think the big black box looks pretty shit if I'm honest. But, end of year, probably going into another lockdown... fuck it was my thinking process when I saw one for sale which did not need a bundle or other BS to buy.

I haven't decided what to do with Series S yet - it's a great little console in its own way but mine will probably end up on eBay.

PS4 Pro to PS5 is IMO a worth while jump though, PS4 games do run smoothly (even the 4k ones) and the SSD does reduce those load times by a very noticeable amount. I guess your PS4 Pro with SSD will be closer than my old mechanical drive PS4 Pro was to the PS5, but it won't totally overcome the FPS difference.
Yeah my One X's (have a gears 5 & taco bell eclipse models) I installed SSD's into them both as well. The PS4 Pro responded better to the SSD as it's less powerful than the One X is and seemed to benefit from the faster drive a bit more than my One X's did. Borderlands 3 was a great indicator on this. The Pro struggles with load times and it's quite noticeable on the inventory screens. But the One X ran it ok.

After SSD installs in both consoles the Pro did certainly improve on that. But it still wasn't nearly as good as a stock One X.

I quite enjoy my One X's still. only 'gripe' is that it can only handle a 2TB internal drive. I'd bought a 4TB SSD initially for my Gears 5 X, but ound out the OS couldn't deal with more than 2TB's so I returned it. And now that 2TB drive is 98% full.. :(

So yeah, my Pro w/SSD & One X's w/SSD's are still plenty fine for me. They both run 4K games on my OLED just fine. Though I know a PS5 would certainly be an improvement I see no need yet to try and find one. Or a Series X for that matter. Makes more sense to wait for them to be easily available at retail, have games you actually need one to play, and have the hardware issues sorted out a lil better.

I know they've changed the cooling system on the PS5 a little since launch. Not sure if it was to lessen the manufacturing cost a bit or if it's to help it's thermal issues. But I don't think they've addressed the fragile controllers yet. Nor have I seen anything about the Series X having the power supply issue sorted out yet. Though that's not been as common as the controller issues on the 5 from what I've seen

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Well Series S has a faster CPU and hard drive, but One X has a faster GPU. So it's not black and white which is better.

PS4 fight sticks work on PS5 games. Played the PS5 versions of GGS and KOFXV beta using mine.
Hmmm... you're right. Doubt my brother's PS2 HRAP will work though. Unfortunately he didn't try it.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Well Series S has a faster CPU and hard drive, but One X has a faster GPU. So it's not black and white which is better.

Hmmm... you're right. Doubt my brother's PS2 HRAP will work though. Unfortunately he didn't try it.
One X has more ram too, which might explain the better textures in Forza Horizon 5 vs the Series S

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I've had both a PS5 and an Xbox Series X for over a year now. the Xbox is still sealed in it's box and the PS5 I've only used for like 2 games. I've been thinking about trading them for Neo Geo games. :ROFLMAO:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
For a while I thought it was silly of me to buy a PS4 Pro but it's actually worked out pretty well. Games that are cross system between the 4 and 5 are pretty close to the 5 on the Pro. Whereas the OG PS4 is very much showing it's age.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
The later Yakuza games (the ones using the dragon engine) including Judgment run awfully on the original PS4 from what I've heard.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I played Yakuza 6 just fine on the base PS4 and loved it but I guess it's a matter of seeing how the game actually runs elsewhere.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
My only complaint about the ps4 pro is that it's loud as hell in certain games like FFXV and Nier: Automata, then you have games that are equally graphically demanding, The Witcher 3 for example, that don't make the fans run at top speed.

Even some graphically underwhelming games like the Dark Souls remaster have a case of blow dryer syndrome.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
My only complaint about the ps4 pro is that it's loud as hell in certain games like FFXV and Nier: Automata, then you have games that are equally graphically demanding, The Witcher 3 for example, that don't make the fans run at top speed.

Even some graphically underwhelming games like the Dark Souls remaster have a case of blow dryer syndrome.

Hmmm... my Pro doesn't ever seem to be loud. Even running games in 4K. Pretty sure i have a late/final build Pro though so maybe it's quieter than early ones? And swappin out the HDD for an SSD helped a bit as the SSD doesn't make any noise and runs cooler (like... a lot cooler 50F cooler to be exact). So droppin the storage drive temps from 135F on the HDD to 85F on the SSD has got to help out keepin temps down so the fan doesn't have to run so hard...

I still kinda want to crack my Pro open to swap out the thermal paste for some nice MX-4. After seeing the state of the thermal paste in my year old One X and the improvement changing out the mostly dried up stock paste for new MX-4 I'd like to do the same to the Pro. But taking apart a Pro is a lot more involved than a One X is so i've not bothered with it yet. MX-4'ing my One X dropped exhaust fan temps 5%. Which considering the factory paste was only a touch over a year old at that point was a bit surprising.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member

Cleaning it using a strong dust blower may temporarily fix the issue.

And placing it on a solid surface, with a slightly hightened open space helps as well.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
As much as I agree that PS4 Pro and Xbox One X are the shit... I just can't go back to the load times.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Cleaning it using a strong dust blower may temporarily fix the issue.

And placing it on a solid surface, with a slightly hightened open space helps as well.
I should try giving it some elevation although it probably doesn't help that the ambient temp is like 26C at the moment where it is. It has been nearly 4 years without a clean after all. As late said, DSR makes my pro sound like a jet engine.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I probably should pop open my Pro and give it a clean/repaste as well. Don't recall how long I've had it. Though my XboneX wasn't dirty when i cracked it open. Still I'd imagine repasting it would at least be a good idea as the factory paste has got to be pretty dried up by now.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
As much as I agree that PS4 Pro and Xbox One X are the shit... I just can't go back to the load times.
I've not had the pleasure of using a 5 or Series yet. Both my 4 Pro/One X have SSD's in em and other than Borderlands 3 i don't recall being annoyed by load times on either

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member

My Pro got pretty loud on RDR2, but other than that...not really.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I'm laughing at all the shitty 3rd party companies that make accessories being stuck with warehouses of charging cables, console skins etc. since it's been over a year and you still can't just walk in to a store and buy the damn system. If you type PS5 into amazon that junk is all that shows up.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Its fairly embarrassing that you still can't buy it by normal means. Maybe its time for everyone invovled in video games to focus more on making decent games and less on how many fucking pixels they can shove down their dick really fast and perhaps gaming will get close to what it once was somehow

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Hey guys good news for people not being able to find PS5s! Sony is gonna make more PS4s!

Well that solves THAT problem!

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
At this rate most games will be PS4/5 compatible but we won't actually get the PS5 exclusive swan songs of this generation until right at the end when these things are actually available to buy en masse. By then there will be a PS6 :(