Android and Linux Handhelds - Shield, GCW Zero, GP2X, Pandora, Pyra, JXD, etc.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
RETROFLAG release PiStation, a PS1 case for RPi4 with 2 version :
- base home console case
- or home console + LCD case (like PC-Engine) for "nomad" mode ?

I got one of these as soon as the orders went up on Amazon. It's really cool and the screen quality is great. I do wish the screen were a bit larger though, the size would be great for a handheld but sitting a few feet away makes it seem really tiny. It's still rad as shit though, and I've been using it over handhelds since I can use any controller I want.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
I got one of these as soon as the orders went up on Amazon. It's really cool and the screen quality is great. I do wish the screen were a bit larger though, the size would be great for a handheld but sitting a few feet away makes it seem really tiny. It's still rad as shit though, and I've been using it over handhelds since I can use any controller I want.

I can't wait for an european release o_O

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It surprisingly doesn't need any tomfoolery in the setup files either like most Pi based handhelds. I just loaded the stock image and ran the safe shutdown script and it works great. I'm sure the exact resolution and such can be tweaked to make the image look the best it can, but it looks good enough as is that I'm not bothering.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Retroflag GPi CASE 2

SJFBUDO.jpg

• Safe Shutdown
  • Add Turbo and Home buttons
  • LED power indicator
  • Add power save mode button
  • Built-in 4000mAh lithium battery
  • 3.0 inch IPS screen (640*480)
  • Game Boy inspired Raspberry Pi case
  • Compatible with Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4
  • GPi CASE 2 Dock supports HDMI output to TV.
  • Recommend CM4 Lite with WiFi.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Retroflag GPi CASE 2

SJFBUDO.jpg

• Safe Shutdown
  • Add Turbo and Home buttons
  • LED power indicator
  • Add power save mode button
  • Built-in 4000mAh lithium battery
  • 3.0 inch IPS screen (640*480)
  • Game Boy inspired Raspberry Pi case
  • Compatible with Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4
  • GPi CASE 2 Dock supports HDMI output to TV.
  • Recommend CM4 Lite with WiFi.

I am out of town, but this + a CM4 (that I overpaid for because I am impatient) are waiting on me to return. Along with a Retroid Pocket 2+ and an RG552...apparently I've been drunk on this trip A LOT and ordered things. I plan on making the GPi2 a dedicated handheld - no consoles, only handhelds.

But Chad, you say, why use a GPi2 for that when the first one could do that just as well?...no, no it couldn't. It was slow - plus with a CM4 I can do run ahead on all handhelds for the most part and have zero lag.

Last edited:

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
A little video from ETA Prime

---

and Restalgia

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I've read people having some issues with the dock, but I anticipate that to be fixed quickly. The scene is pretty good around retroflag devices. Especially with those frenchies making recalbox.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
I only regret USB ports are backside, on the front side is really better for people who want to use a wired controller easily.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I got the Retroid Pocket 2+ yesterday and it's brilliant for Dreamcast.

It currently isn't brilliant for:

PC game streaming. The wifi is good, but the lack of L3 and R3 kills the games I enjoy the most on PC.

Gamecube/Wii: So far, Wario World is the only game I'm getting 100% frames on. Double Dash and Animal Crossing are playable. Sunshine isn't. Metroid Prime... might be. So far, I'm not really seeing a lot of improvement by lowering internal resolution on games. A game that stutters at 1x resolution seems to also stutter at .3x resolution.

PS2: I haven't played around with AetherSX2 that much, but so far everything is too slow. And again, no L3/R3.

Mine also arrived with noticeable light bleed in dark scenes, which can apparently be addressed by loosening some of the internal screws. I haven't opened it up yet to try.

Still. 100 bucks.

Edit: Paper Mario GC also looks like it's working at full speed with some visual glitches when new scenes are being loaded. I can't predict how a game will run. The busy 2.5d in Paper Mario is no problem while it chokes on the N64-port graphics in Animal Crossing.

I'm posting this edit on my retroid. My touchscreen is working fine, while others have trouble. Maybe the QA crapshoot has something to do with the low price.

My performance impressions are all with Google Play Services installed and running.

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Looking forward to trying out the Retroid 2+

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
That's very odd. I'd rather have the Egret Mini I think

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
That's very odd. I'd rather have the Egret Mini I think

Ah yes, but it's not for the same usage I think.
I wait for it to play older arcade vertical games like Donkey Kong, or Games & Watch and other Table Top electronic games. (like #this)

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
The screen on the RP2+ is very sensitive to pressure from the case. It feels more like a design issue than a QA issue. The tension on internal *and* case screws will impact the "light bleed." It's only very apparent when the screen is dark, but it's also a pain to tune out completely because you can't be sure the adjustments you make with an open case will hold up when you start screwing the case back together.

The plastic is also more brittle than you might expect. In opening and closing the case with a spudger, I've snapped the plastic on three of the internal clips, as well as the ring that holds the action buttons together (everything still works fine).

My advice is not to open the case unless the brightness on black backgrounds is really bothering you.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
The screen on the RP2+ is very sensitive to pressure from the case. It feels more like a design issue than a QA issue. The tension on internal *and* case screws will impact the "light bleed." It's only very apparent when the screen is dark, but it's also a pain to tune out completely because you can't be sure the adjustments you make with an open case will hold up when you start screwing the case back together.

The plastic is also more brittle than you might expect. In opening and closing the case with a spudger, I've snapped the plastic on three of the internal clips, as well as the ring that holds the action buttons together (everything still works fine).

My advice is not to open the case unless the brightness on black backgrounds is really bothering you.
no idea when mine will get here, but good to know

I've had a few days with the GPi2 case with CM4, and I am digging it so far. I don't think it will replace my RG351MP though.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
How can you possibly play a game on that fucking thing
I assume you mean the GPi2 thingy - it honestly feels like a GB Pocket, so anything that goes beyond actual handheld games, would be a chore to enjoy on this thing. I bought it out of morbid curiosity and a desire to tinker with it more than anything - specifically the HDMI dock. Seemed like a fun, trashy primer before getting my Analogue Pocket later in the year. But yeah, any home consoles on that thing would be garbage.