Neo-Geo AES graphics corrupted / display issue

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
hehe.. tbh honest, I meant that, but not in a derogatory way, Genesis/Mega Drive are IMO "similar enough" when it comes to the size and packaging of ICs, they can be used to practise

@Tarma it depends on your location, I'm in Munich, Germany, I also know a guy in Sydney Australia where I used to live before, but that is probably completely useless to you if you're in the Americas
generally speaking, a reliable console fix shop should be able to fix it for you, some have more experience with retro some less

this kind of rot btw. does not stop IME, getting another PCB sucks because of buying another one but at leat you know what to look for in terms of problems (spots, specks, etc. pp.)
I've seen Neo Geo PCBs (mostly MVS) where some tracks have completely vanished thanks to the leaking acid from the battery, but some AES rott all by them selves and won't stop, its a continuous job to fix roten traces over the years

if you want to give it another go, thats fine as well, measuring continuity etc., swapping the fast VRAM ICs to see if that changes anythingm, did you get the diag bios?
I'm in Canada.

I've haven't got the time, nor the financial inclination to buy loads of testing kit, at the moment, so outside of a quick fix, this now needs to go to someone who know how to do a pro looking repair and restore the old girl to working order.

If I still lived in the UK there are at least two people I know who could help, but I don't and sending it back to the UK is probably going to be cost prohibitive.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Maybe be you can find someone here:

good choice IMO to leave it to someone else
Thanks for that, appreciated.

I may try a guy in Canada, failing that I'll get it repaired in the UK when I'm next over there.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Just a suggestion: If you don't have one already, I think a cheapo ~$15 multimeter would help a lot, and is good to have in your arsenal if you may be buying faulty systems in the future.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Just a suggestion: If you don't have one already, I think a cheapo ~$15 multimeter would help a lot, and is good to have in your arsenal if you may be buying faulty systems in the future.
I have a multimeter... it's in the UK. I'm not sure I can be bothered to buy another as I don't think I have the ability to fix whatever is wrong with this AES anyway.