The COVID-19 Thread and Hypothetical Boxing Predictions

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Novak Djokovic #1 tennis player deported for lying about having been in other countries within the last 14 days on his visa application. Welp there goes the Aussie Open.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Novak Djokovic #1 tennis player deported for lying about having been in other countries within the last 14 days on his visa application. Welp there goes the Aussie Open.

Rule by bureaucrat produces an authoritarian hellscape, shock and surpise. Snakes and spiders no longer the most dangerous things in Oz, more at 11.

Australia seems very similar governmentally and culturally to the US, but unfortunately doesn't have quite the same Constitutional protections. Our bureaucracy has inflated to similar levels and I can only imagine is at most a generation or two behind though. It's coming, but gets held up every so often in small setbacks from legal challenges. But the only desire bureaucratic state is more.

He was basically used to make an example to the remaining resistance inside of Australia. You can't let people see that there is an opportunity if you are to maintain control over a population. Cracks must be plugged. The major question is how long can citizens hold out before they submit.

Good luck down there.

lithy

20 Year Member
I can't be right, because I just asked a question. I'm not trying to win an argument, I just wanted to know why you thought that.

No, we didn't test my kids until this school year when 1 case sent home the entire 4th, 5th, and 6th grade.

We test people so they don't spread it to someone that might be more likely to get really sick. I honestly don't see the harm in testing anyone.

The harm is from the amount of days you will keep kids from school in pursuit of a goal (zero covid) that is impossible.

You can't quarantine and contact your way out of this.

lithy

20 Year Member
You can't see the US encourages tensions over Hong Kong, Taiwan, Xinjiang and Tibet in an ongoing effort to destabilize China, yet you buy into the CCP's authoritarian covid policy. Fascinating.

Lonesage believes living by permission of government authorities can still be considered freedom.

He is not alone.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Rule by bureaucrat produces an authoritarian hellscape, shock and surpise. Snakes and spiders no longer the most dangerous things in Oz, more at 11.

Australia seems very similar governmentally and culturally to the US, but unfortunately doesn't have quite the same Constitutional protections. Our bureaucracy has inflated to similar levels and I can only imagine is at most a generation or two behind though. It's coming, but gets held up every so often in small setbacks from legal challenges. But the only desire bureaucratic state is more.

He was basically used to make an example to the remaining resistance inside of Australia. You can't let people see that there is an opportunity if you are to maintain control over a population. Cracks must be plugged. The major question is how long can citizens hold out before they submit.

Good luck down there.
I'm starting to wonder if lithy is still typing these posts or is just trolling us by copy/pasting transcripts of Info Wars.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member

Good luck down there.
It's also an election year don't forget and the current federal establishment is hopelessly grasping at straws trying to assert some semblance of 'leadership' after they took a back seat and let the states rule over the pandemic response almost entirely.

I can't wait until the ballots drop, it will be mayhem. There has been a major loss of trust across the board of the two big parties. Will be very interesting to see what the political landscape becomes after all those who didn't protest surely will with their modest piece of paper.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
There's an incentive to find covid positive patients because reimbursement rates are higher. This is a fact. Go and look it up.

I'm not saying fraud is necessarily occuring. A competent billing department or third party vendor is going to bill the maximum allowable by law. Nevertheless, the incentive is there to find and code for covid, which is partly why testing is so pervasive. It's also good medicine.

So do you concede the point on "Deaths"?

'Anyways, the rates for treating covid patients is higher, but the costs are also higher.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The harm is from the amount of days you will keep kids from school in pursuit of a goal (zero covid) that is impossible.

The goal should be to not have covid infected kids in classes spreading it to other kids. Which causes massive outages.

Which is why they should:
Keep infected infected kids out of school.
Mandate Vaccines for all students
Enforce masks.
Keep cohorts as small as possible.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
So do you concede the point on "Deaths"?

'Anyways, the rates for treating covid patients is higher, but the costs are also higher.
It's the same point for cases and deaths. Profitability is also higher. As usual, you are wasting bandwidth arguing over semantics.

lithy

20 Year Member
Which causes massive outages.

Only because of policy. Not because of severity of illness.

Most people missing class because of a positive test have mild symptoms. People are taking a week off for the sniffles.

This is doubly stupid if we are talking about quarantining 'exposed' people who aren't even sick.

Risk assessment has been completely warped from caution to total aversion. The goal being no one can return to regular employment under the current mantra of attempting to prevent a single death at any cost.

Whatever gets the whole population onto the government payroll fastest I guess.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
You have to take into account the needs to care for a covid positive patient. The staff, the space, etc.
Arguing with these people is a fools errand.
Totally fucking stupid and a complete waste of time.

It's like when you get a second opinion from a doctor because they tell you your going to die in six months.
Some people will just keep going from Dr. to Dr. till they hear something they like.

In this case they keep Googling from page to page platform profile to profile till they see something they like.
In this case it's because they can't handle reality.

If anything deaths are being under-reported.

Think about AIDS, pretty sure nobodies ever dies of AIDS.
It wrecks your immune system and you can die of anything, preexisting conditions or even the common cold.
Covid is pretty much the same thing. Yeah OK a common manifestation is pneumonia or breathing problems.
But it can bring back preexisting medical conditions that your body can normally fight off, or that you thought you've beaten alltready.

What if somebody has covid and dies in a car wreck? It's counted as a covid death?
Fuckin stupid.
Yeah I mean who knows maybe Covid made them light headed leading to tunnel vision and then a stroke while driving and then they wrecked.

Really the only way to figure out the total number of deaths is to basically average it out at a much later date.
Taking the typical number of deaths is a cycle, say a year and then adding or subtracting for abnormalities to get a norm.
Compare the two and only then can you get a realistic picture of what's really happened.

The Economist has been following this basic concept for awhile now and they call it excessive deaths.
It also counts people who died of preventable causes who weren't able to get proper medical care because of the pandemic:

Although the official number of deaths caused by covid-19 is now 5.5m, our single best estimate is that the actual toll is 19.5m people. We find that there is a 95% chance that the true value lies between 12.1m and 22.7m additional deaths.

Here's a better explanation:

Excess mortality is a more comprehensive measure of the total impact of the pandemic on deaths than the confirmed COVID-19 death count alone. It captures not only the confirmed deaths, but also COVID-19 deaths that were not correctly diagnosed and reported2 as well as deaths from other causes that are attributable to the overall crisis conditions.3

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Anyways some good news.
When you look at infections versus a few months ago during the height of Delta they are up 4-5x but deaths are steady or even down slightly.
A 60 second review makes it seem as if Omicron is something like 70% less lethal.

That makes its impact pretty negligible, putting it pretty close to the common flu.

BTW another stupid fucking arguement.
Not it's not just the flu, its 10x as deadly you don't properly understand decimals or percents,

Hopefully hospitals start clearling out and workers can regain their sanity.

Last edited:

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
My kids go back to school today. Not sure we can the another "exposure quarantine". If it happens again, I think my wife will put the kids on independent study. :(

I don't even want to get up and go to work. 6:04am, I should be ready to walk out the door and I haven't rolled out of bed yet, Lol.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The hospital my daughter works at has seen an uptick in cases but still well below the delta peak total.

Vaccinated admission rate percentage has more than doubled since August.

Still plenty of capacity. Main issue is staffing. The hospital raised pay again a couple months ago and is currently offering generous bonuses. For example, it's now effectively around $40/hour for a nursing intern doing CNA level work.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member

Despite the anxieties and tumult of the COVID-19 pandemic, overall suicide rates in the United States fell by about 3% between 2019 and 2020.

The new findings are in line with a recent study in 21 countries that also showed no increase in suicide during 2020.

So are you trolling?
This is that exact dumbass type shit I'm talking about.
I Googled them and it appears they went to MIT and Stanford.
They should know better.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
So called "Lockdowns" (was anything really locked down?) had thier place during the spring of 2020. The only problem is that they didn't "lockdown" soon enough.

It saved millions of lives. It bought time.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
The word "panties" just sounds so vulgar and immediately switches me into horn dog mode. I don't know....it doesn't happen when I hear the word underwear or lingerie or whatever. Just something about panties...

mmmm....panties.
It definitely rolls off the tongue better than pantaloons!

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Anyways some good news.
When you look at infections versus a few months ago during the height of Delta they are up 4-5x but deaths are steady or even down slightly.
A 60 second review makes it seem as if Omicron is something like 70% less lethal.

That makes its impact pretty negligible, putting it pretty close to the common flu.

BTW another stupid fucking arguement.
Not it's not just the flu, its 10x as deadly you don't properly understand decimals or percents,

Hopefully hospitals start clearling out and workers can regain their sanity.

Did you just calculate that omicron has a similar risk of death as flu then call yourself fucking stupid? Sorry dude, I think I'm losing track of what you're trying to say.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member

Despite the anxieties and tumult of the COVID-19 pandemic, overall suicide rates in the United States fell by about 3% between 2019 and 2020.

The new findings are in line with a recent study in 21 countries that also showed no increase in suicide during 2020.

Did you just calculate that omicron has a similar risk of death as flu then call yourself fucking stupid? Sorry dude, I think I'm losing track of what you're trying to say.
It's getting closer ...NOW.

That's something I've been reading over the last two years from dumbasses.
-"It's just the flu, survival rates 99.997%, so not even as deadly as the flu,"-