What KOF are you best at?

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Id say 96, or 97.

Im not *good at either of them by any stretch of the imagination. 97 had some auto combos, if I remember correctly? I remember doing some with Ryo, Robert and Andy? Something like jump in with a heavy kick and do... something... and then you get like 3 extra hits, and you can end with a special.

Good stuff.
Those kinds of sequenced flow chart moves debuted in 97 I think (96 maybe?) and are standard after that with Kyo, Ryo, that sentai parody chick, and others…kinda like Deadly Rave in chunks. I appreciate it with Kyo because it’s easy to keep track of and lets you mix up hits and psych out people who block too much. I for sure cannot keep up with the entire sequence with some characters. In general I avoid even attempting these moves in versus matches.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
I am best at the standard KOF 98 and 2002 games. Spent the most time on them because of the numerous ports available for those games. Although I do try and always get better at 2003 just because of the tag system it has.

Btw. Hi all. Been a while since I got on here.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I never cared for the KOF games. I got my 1st Neo Geo Gold system back in 1990. I was used to games like Fatal Fury, Art Of Fighting, World Heroes, etc... I remember when KOF 94' 1st showed up at my local bowling alley... I thought "oh a new fighting game! cool!"... but once I saw that the character sprites were smaller than other games and the graphics also weren't as great, I thought "hell no!"...

I realized they had to make cuts in order to accommodate for all those characters/moves, but it was still a turn off for me.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
I never cared for the KOF games. I got my 1st Neo Geo Gold system back in 1990. I was used to games like Fatal Fury, Art Of Fighting, World Heroes, etc... I remember when KOF 94' 1st showed up at my local bowling alley... I thought "oh a new fighting game! cool!"... but once I saw that the character sprites were smaller than other games and the graphics also weren't as great, I thought "hell no!"...

I realized they had to make cuts in order to accommodate for all those characters/moves, but it was still a turn off for me.
fposter,small,wall_texture,product,750x1000.u3.jpg

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Characters so huge that you can’t see anything but the characters went out of fashion, mainly for gameplay reasons, that’s why they got smaller.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Sorta related, I remember playing CVS2 online on Xbox Live and being able to get an easy first attack on people with Kyo's flip kick, no idea what the name of the move was. Basically a reverse dragon punch and kick, homeboy would flip over any projectile and it counted as an overhead so the dingdongs that usually played didn't expect an overhead like that. Also it was death to just about anyone who had a projectile.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Sorta related, I remember playing CVS2 online on Xbox Live and being able to get an easy first attack on people with Kyo's flip kick, no idea what the name of the move was. Basically a reverse dragon punch and kick, homeboy would flip over any projectile and it counted as an overhead so the dingdongs that usually played didn't expect an overhead like that. Also it was death to just about anyone who had a projectile.
Good ol R.E.D. kick ftw :lolz:
Time marker 5:35 :buttrock:

Last edited:

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
My main memory of CvS2 on XBox Live is pretty much my main memory of neo-geo.com, getting called a fag non stop by ignorant assholes with maybe 1/50 of interactions being quality.

One time a friend from out of town stopped by and showed me the real way to play. He would just pick a ratio 4 Sakura and repeatedly choke scrubs until they rage quit. Roll roll roll, choke choke choke, “NiggaFAG!!!” [connection lost]. That way was super fun because, honestly, if you can’t stop Sakura from doing basic throws on you…you really suck and probably can’t even hide it from yourself. Total burn with no mic needed.

The Dreamcast version is best, obviously, or arcade. These games need both players to be in the same room to be at their best.

THEMAN

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
I would normally say 98, but then I thought about it and that's because I use Omega Rugal. So I really don't know. I would definitely say I'm better on the earlier KOFs up until 98. Though I have a pretty good handle on '03.

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I never cared for the KOF games.
I concur. There are some kof games like 2000, 11 and 13 which I really like but I feel like most of them have literally no personality. A lot the characters feel like they shouldn’t even belong in the same game and it feels like the game has no identity. The gameplay is tight but everything else just feels bleh.

I much prefer samsho and last blade tbh.

Last edited:

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
If it's gameplay, I prefer playing 98-2000, 2002. I feel like 99 and 00 are a little on the easier side, but it's a good era.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I concur. There are some kof games like 2000, 11 and 13 which I really like but I feel like most of them have literally no personality. A lot the characters feel like they shouldn’t even belong in the same game and it feels like the game has no identity. The gameplay is tight but everything else just feels bleh.

I much prefer samsho and last blade tbh.

It was the personality that made me a KOF fan. The attitude, the style, the ongoing mysteries and rivalries, the fashion...easily the MOST charismatic fighting series ever, IMO, when it is seen as a whole.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Can anybody use Striker, Duke effectively i??? <chuckle>
BB

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
It was the personality that made me a KOF fan. The attitude, the style, the ongoing mysteries and rivalries, the fashion...easily the MOST charismatic fighting series ever, IMO, when it is seen as a whole.
Really? I very much disagree. I couldn’t help but feel that a lot of the kof’s just feel like a mish mash of characters and nothing more. The stages are beautiful but stuff like the hud, character select screen, etc seem so life-less and boring. Again, I love the mobility options of kof but all the cosmetics don’t really do it for me. 11, 2000 and 13 are an exception and the only ones I felt different towards.

I’ve always thought that samsho and last blade were brewing with so much more personality. I fell in love with the character designs and the fact that it took place in feudal Japan.

Although I always leaned more on the Capcom side than SNK so maybe that’s why.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
The character select screen sorta has to be boring because it has so many fighters. You don’t spend a lot of time there as a fan, the timer won’t let you. The personalities are in the endings, character specific intros, year on year story development, the evolution of moves with each installment, the characters aging, taking on apprentices, having kids…treachery. You have to actually play the games to see this, or know somebody who does. There’s a reason kids younger than KOF 98 are cosplaying as Shermie or Iori.

I have no idea what “mobility” is, don’t care about HUDs. I really don’t see how a life bar graphic is going to draw me into a series beyond a minimal extent.

You’re right in that the art direction is less unified than SS and LB. KOF is more about playing the Fatal Fury team and experiencing the game that way, then playing a NESTS team and seeing it from that side, meeting whoever the new people are and trying to understand WTF they are about, and then figuring out what your most competitive team is and kicking ass with it versus.

The possibly worst KOF is 2001 but it may have more style than any of them. The most “together” is maybe…97 or 99…or 2003. The dream match games will always be more hodgepodge because that’s what a dream match is going to be.

As for Capcom…I love Streetfighter II and III but “sumo guy” “karate guy” “blonde karate guy” “army guy” and “chinalady” have always seemed like super generic stereotypes. I never had a problem with that, but “Indian rubber man” “boxer”…sheesh, that’s some thin soup.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Can anybody use Striker, Duke effectively i??? <chuckle>
BB
Haven't played very seriously in a long time, but sometimes if I launch a striker while finishing a combo it at least looks impressive. I'm sure the pros knew the exact frame to do it and which combination of characters to use.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
In 2001 you can do all sorts of revolting infinites and %100 combos with strikers. It’s pretty much King of Strikers 2001. In other games they are less insane and mostly let you link two combos into one long one by connecting when you are in move recovery or by adding a bounce or two in a juggle.

I personally didn’t enjoy the addition and never got into using them.

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
The character select screen sorta has to be boring because it has so many fighters. You don’t spend a lot of time there as a fan, the timer won’t let you. The personalities are in the endings, character specific intros, year on year story development, the evolution of moves with each installment, the characters aging, taking on apprentices, having kids…treachery. You have to actually play the games to see this, or know somebody who does. There’s a reason kids younger than KOF 98 are cosplaying as Shermie or Iori.

I have no idea what “mobility” is, don’t care about HUDs. I really don’t see how a life bar graphic is going to draw me into a series beyond a minimal extent.

You’re right in that the art direction is less unified than SS and LB. KOF is more about playing the Fatal Fury team and experiencing the game that way, then playing a NESTS team and seeing it from that side, meeting whoever the new people are and trying to understand WTF they are about, and then figuring out what your most competitive team is and kicking ass with it versus.

The possibly worst KOF is 2001 but it may have more style than any of them. The most “together” is maybe…97 or 99…or 2003. The dream match games will always be more hodgepodge because that’s what a dream match is going to be.

As for Capcom…I love Streetfighter II and III but “sumo guy” “karate guy” “blonde karate guy” “army guy” and “chinalady” have always seemed like super generic stereotypes. I never had a problem with that, but “Indian rubber man” “boxer”…sheesh, that’s some thin soup.

I may have been nit picky with my opinion but on a surface level the kof series never drew me in that much compared to others. It was just the general vibe I got from the game.

By mobility I mean there’s rolling, short hops, super jumps, running etc to have a different style and is much more offensive based compared to something like sf2, which has none of that.

I never thought of the sf2 roster to be boring and generic. I found them to be simple in a good way and just classic.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
The cast of Street Fighter II looks like the It’s a Small World ride, or the United Nations in that one Batman movie where they all get dehydrated. Token this guy, token that guy, token not a guy…they turboed the same game four times and barely changed the endings.

In KOF its like…they are weirdos, but anyone who would fight for a living is going to be a weirdo. There are some ultra basic stereotypes like Daimon and Todo and Kim and the Sports team but beyond that many KOF characters are designed to be interesting beyond what race they are, what country they came from, etc. Robert Garcia doesn’t do a hat dance when he wins…or at least not in every game. Kyo and Iori and Beni look like relatively average Japanese punks, instead of being Shinto priests or samurai or something else way too on the nose. The same is true of Seth, Vanessa, Vice, Mature, Shen Woo, Rugal…they have individual style like how people in real life have individual style instead of dressing like a tourist poster for whatever region they come from. Terry is a trucker, national origin irrelevant. Orochi doesn’t wear a kimono. There are a number of leather daddies and military looking guys to balance out the basic-ass fuckers like Joe.