Arcade1up better than real cabs?

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
Atgames is an interesting one. Sure, they have quality issues, but when it works, it works well.

Saw you posted this on the ALU subreddit. You should lurk more on that subreddit more. Problem after problem. Firmware updates totally borking things. Controls stop working. Games refuse to start. It's a total shitshow. At this point I wouldn't touch a Legends product with a ten foot pole.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Atgames are 100% pure garbage. Nobody should ever waste their money on those shit systems.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
A1UP had a delux floor setup (including a 20 foot plus tall custom one with workable buttons) at the NY Comic Con before COVID hit & I got to try many of these out including Marvel SH, MK, SF, TMNT & some others. I have also tried Pacman/Galaga & Goldan Tee.

These things, stock, are worth it at no more than $150 to $350 to me. If they would simply increase small aspects of production spec & execution in regards to build quality I could see the MSRP's but they are too fucking janky in all respects as they come.

I'm not shitting on those who like them, I mean, to each their own but this companies business model is a bit dubious (releasing half ass versions only to release improved versions shortly thereafter). If you are selling "home arcade machines" only to have to have your customers mod the hell out of them to half way give an arcade experience you are doing shit wrong.

Christ, SNK even did it better MANY years ago when they released that counter top mini arcade machine with genuine cabinet build & true commercial 13" CRT monitor.

A1UP could at least release a premium version of these scaled cabs that is designed to be universal, and can take individuality released modules/carts with a selection of games that gives them the added revenue stream & takes care of licensing. Have it come with one to start, design it has a rotatable high quality IPS LCD & swapable CP's, have it come with a general CP & then release specific CP's along with the game modules.
I agree. They want to go mainstream and are in it for $money$ $money$ $money$. It's not a mainstream product. People will buy one cab at most for their man cave, basement, family room, home office, or garage bar. Remember they are only a 4 year old company, and their customer service has gotten much better and build quality has improved greatly. Star Wars is a testament to that. They've sold millions of cabs, mostly pac man. The new pro line looks intriguing, with KI as the first one coming in the summer, and a Golden Tee 3D I believe rumored to follow. You get what you pay for.

Last edited:

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Saw you posted this on the ALU subreddit. You should lurk more on that subreddit more. Problem after problem. Firmware updates totally borking things. Controls stop working. Games refuse to start. It's a total shitshow. At this point I wouldn't touch a Legends product with a ten foot pole.
Lots of times to fix updates, it's as simple as checking the mail system built into the product. It's android-based as far as I can tell. And they used to push firmware updates every week and create new problems. Now they're going once a month like iiRcade, and only updating DL content packs like Zacc games and Taito tables. I stay on top of the ALP, absolutely love it. I love it so much I'm was going to get a real pin, but I'm sold on V-pins now. They are the future. Atgames is even going commercial with it, and the only difference is the front end is similar like Pin UpPopper or whatever it's called. There will be bumps and bruises and there will be a shitshow for sure, but I'm excited for it, because it might mean more and better things for the home system, just like the Neo Geo. There are issues with sound and the exciters on it, and they can be replaced, but I'm waiting for them to release solonoids. I'm not going 3rd party with those and keeping it stock, not adding a PC.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I'm on there all the time man. I post in home arcade, Arcade1up, and Atgames. Handle is what I had when I started on this board 20+ years ago, DigiPunk. I don't look in the SNK sub much. Is it worth looking at?

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Here is a tour of my Arcade1Up machines. Please like my video and subscribe to my channel.

Spoiler:
:geek:
Boy if this shit would have been around 20 years ago, I would have been all over it, but it's a young mans thing. I don't have much experience with video, and have a monotone voice, so it's not for me. I've posted my game room on Facebook without narration, but that's it. I'd post it here if it were allowed. Haven't done a Noiseland arcade gameroom video in a couple months, but nothing has really changed. Working on hanging a TV to watch home arcade youtube, vikings games, local news, and music videos, but I need some help with it and my friend(s) and I don't have the time we used to.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
Lots of times to fix updates, it's as simple as checking the mail system built into the product. It's android-based as far as I can tell. And they used to push firmware updates every week and create new problems. Now they're going once a month like iiRcade, and only updating DL content packs like Zacc games and Taito tables. I stay on top of the ALP, absolutely love it.
I guess I see it differently. From what I can tell AtGames pushes bad updates out constantly and people are really frustrated. Almost every post in the LegendsUltimate subreddit is people complaining their ALP or ALU no longer works.

I like the ALU mini in theory. My ideal is a modern cab that has a rotating monitor. But after seeing all the horror stories, I decided to stay away.

As for virtual pinball, it seems to me going all the way with something like https://thepinballking.com/ would be the way to go. Very pricey, but you generally get what you paid for.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Which one is the child molester?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The one in the middle is the only one that I can't identify to the list. So I'm guess it is that figure.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
For those who dont care for the arcade1up cab quality, i was able to put the Big Blue PCB into my Vewlix cab. I tried w/ the Blast City/New Net City but wasn't able to accept the signal. For now im happy that i can hook it up to my Vewlix. So now all i need to do is buy PCBs. Next project is to find a way to Stream/Capture Arcade1up gameplay. The community so far has only figured out by hacking the pcb and do mirror streaming which makes it unplayable to the ones streaming.

270690857_239825334989981_2878814285788695648_n.jpg

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I get a pass because I'm a boring dad and also Sylvie loves me. :love:

But seriously, I think I'm going to pass on T2. The guns look wicked cheap. Joysticks and buttons are quick easy fixes/replacements...but guns less so...especially Sinden. Those guns won't last and when they do eventually go...game over man.

I'm gonna just get some guns and do a nice PC bigbox build. It'll be rad.
Yea, one game for $700... As much as i liked it back in the day, T2 has aged poorly, and the difficulty spikes defending the vehicles are insane. That red T-molding is ugly as sin. Waiting with baited breath for House of the Dead, or even time crisis. My next one will be Golden Tee Pro and/or Smash TV/Robotron. Only have space for 1 gun cab or v pin and I can squeeze in one more regular cab.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Yea, one game for $700... As much as i liked it back in the day, T2 has aged poorly, and the difficulty spikes defending the vehicles are insane. That red T-molding is ugly as sin. Waiting with baited breath for House of the Dead, or even time crisis. My next one will be Golden Tee Pro and/or Smash TV/Robotron. Only have space for 1 gun cab or v pin and I can squeeze in one more regular cab.

I would buy a Smash TV cab if they release that for sure.

The other problem with the gun cabs is 17 inch screens are just too small. It’s fine for a fighting game when you are up close to the control panel..but not gun games.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I guess I see it differently. From what I can tell AtGames pushes bad updates out constantly and people are really frustrated. Almost every post in the LegendsUltimate subreddit is people complaining their ALP or ALU no longer works.

I like the ALU mini in theory. My ideal is a modern cab that has a rotating monitor. But after seeing all the horror stories, I decided to stay away.

As for virtual pinball, it seems to me going all the way with something like https://thepinballking.com/ would be the way to go. Very pricey, but you generally get what you paid for.
Thanks for the comment. The ALU mini got flack. 1.) Shipping delays. 2.) easy Rotatable screen for Shumps, pre 1986 Vert games. (Good), 3.) Tetris one looks very good, but was pre-order only and didn't hit the streets until a year later (are people even getting it)? 4.) (Bad) only 1 stick, 6 buttons, no 2 player options kills it for me for shumps. No trackball or spinner. 6.) + very compact and fits in small spaces.

As far as the ALP, it's a great option not only for Pinball, but look into the control deck for shumps and vert games. $200 add on usually, but if you catch a national owners day deal, which is Feb. 14th Monday Valentine's Day, it's $100 bundled with an ALP. It makes it a vertical cab. Only has a stick, 6-8 buttons, and a trackball, no 2nd player controls. Makes it easier to navigate pinball too. I want to keep my ALP strickly pinball. Keep your eyes on the ALP. It's glass, only 1080p, but it is beautiful and if you can tolerate all their guinea pig updates, it will treat you well. It's even be said to be going commercial with a front-end similar to pinup popper with all the same DLC as the home edition. There is no difference in build quality to my knowledge. Maybe a little more sturdy for commercial use. I'm cautiously optimistic, but I don't see it taking off. But it's a step. Improvements for a commercial version might mean improvements or even leaderboard sharing for the home edition.

I am also looking into Pinball King as V-pin in the future. Mine would be around $5k. I played a v pin at 2d Con in mpls and wasn't very impressed. Laughably sloppy. I don't have space in the arcade room, so it'll have to be in the classic game lounge.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Last time I checked, you could buy a brand new repo cab in the $750 range. You'd still have to assemble, apply the T-Molding and artwork. As well as source controls and the monitor.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Anyways, if I could find a 1up TMNT Cab in the $200 range I'd buy it.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
For those who dont care for the arcade1up cab quality, i was able to put the Big Blue PCB into my Vewlix cab.

Is there something about arcade1up's pcbs that make them stand out? In other words, why not throw a mister or a PC in there? I don't know anything about a1up's pcbs.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Is there something about arcade1up's pcbs that make them stand out? In other words, why not throw a mister or a PC in there? I don't know anything about a1up's pcbs.

HDR cares about the ranking system which he occasionally tops. It's his 4 touchdowns in one game.

The PCB's themselves are kinda shitty. They only output a digital signal and need a controller to hook them up via HDMI/DVI.

I also think the pinouts aren't universal between boards.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
I find it unappealing that they use the same ass for both men and women. I'm not comfortable enough with my own sexuality to hit something that at times is a man's ass.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
They have online play and plays great. The connection is better than GGPO/Fightcade IMO. Also there is a community for it and constant tournaments. The last tournament was x-men vs Street Fighter and the prize pool was $750. Was also able to reconnect with an old friend that i haven't seen in over 20 years. Small world.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I find it unappealing that they use the same ass for both men and women. I'm not comfortable enough with my own sexuality to hit something that at times is a man's ass.
IIRC, the point is to give it a kancho.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Looks like the next A1Up release might be Track and Field. Cool but not interested.