The King Of Fighters XV (2020)

glazball

Pleasure Goal
10 Year Member
Will there be any major differences between the PS4 and PS5 versions other than loading times?

Stuart989

Sexless Insecure troglodyte, Has an awesome pc rig
Will there be any major differences between the PS4 and PS5 versions other than loading times?
The background crowd on ps4 version is way lesser. Some stages like the beach stage looks empty because of it. The game is not even that great looking compared to other FGs, so that crowd omission is weird.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
The background crowd on ps4 version is way lesser. Some stages like the beach stage looks empty because of it. The game is not even that great looking compared to other FGs, so that crowd omission is weird.
I wonder if the Pro will retain these crowds?

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Bringing back K9999, a character that never should have existed in the first place, just makes me think even less of this game and modern SNK…which is impressive…since they are majority owned by a guy who has ordered people tortured to death for his pleasure I thought for sure I had already reached max disinterest but I guess SNK/KOF can get even shittier.

What would it take you guys to walk away? What is TOO shitty to spend money on? What if Dion owned the company? What if he put himself in the game as an boss that couldn’t be defeated and the bonus item was a Rolex that turned your arm green? What if the disc had a flaw in it that destroyed your system or highjacked your webcam and emailed footage of you wanking it to everyone you know? What if they added fatalities and one of them was called “The Journalist” and it involves cutting up a guy and dissolving him in acid? Where’s the bottom?

I agree Saudi Arabia is a shithole but I won't let that affect my general disinterest in this game.

I've outgrown that scene decades ago and they also moved on. SNK used to be about martial arts and action film tropes....now I see it's about chinese pajama kids with pillows.
I don't even feel nostalgia from this goofy, colorful, childs game.

So to answer your question, I walked away a long time ago, dawg.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I agree with you. You know what's gone? The mistique. On so many levels. Martial arts used to have that, games companies had that, fighting games where that. This is all just one big gimmick. Big shame but that time has gone and taken with it all those aspects that made it special.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It's cool that the games used real martial arts, but most of us are just gamers and don't really care about that. We're not all interested in martial arts. That said, yes the earlier SNK fighting games had a mystique that's not really there anymore, and hasn't been in a long time.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
It's cool that the games used real martial arts, but most of us are just gamers and don't really care about that. We're not all interested in martial arts. That said, yes the earlier SNK fighting games had a mystique that's not really there anymore, and hasn't been in a long time.
I think you miss the point. Asian martial arts where venerated from the 1960s up until around the mid 90s across the world, mostly due to movies. Fighting games where part of that exteneded culture as much as they where part of videogame culture which worked off of adjacent cultural expressions anyway.
That veneration seeped its way into videogames. Also the fact that broadly speaking this was all asian product made with a very asian signature style.

That mystique comes from a time when the west was enomred with the east but did not try and commodify it more than it was already doing for itself in the first place. There was no need to force things, they where taking place of their own accord. Japanese culture was interesting to both east (which was actually creating it in part by actually living within it) and the west (which was in awe of what could easily be observed as inspired and honest).

Japan doesn't really care too much about videogames anymore, not the way it did 20 years ago anyway.
SoR4 was made by some french guys and everyone lapped it up anyway, thought it looked amazing blahblah.
Rivercity Girls is made by some of the same people I think
etc.
Noone cares. The japanese aesthetic is played out and forced.
The mystique is gone. If someone came across Gizmo at some thrift store today, they'd keep on walking

Last edited:

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Are you being reductive on purpose?
It's not about martial arts dude it's the overall vibe of the series.

The fresh Prince of Bel Air was a sitcom about a likeable funny guy from the hood moving into a snooty upscale neighborhood....while the remake seems to be whiny drama.

Maybe the nostalgia is enough to pull some in, but the complete departure from the original formula might put some off as well.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Yeah, I was focusing specifically on how the two of you were talking about martial arts. All I'm saying is that may be an important aspect for you guys, but it isn't for everyone. I'm sure I'm missing the point.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
It was an important aspect to us guys because it was generally to agreat many boys and young men at the time. That's the point. The shit was mainstream, real martial arts fake martial arts, flying headbutts and crane kicks

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I am trying really hard to get hyped and find reasons to play this, but just, cannot.
Once it gets released, perhaps a better look overall at the mechanics and character workings will entice me.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I am trying really hard to get hyped and find reasons to play this, but just, cannot.
Once it gets released, perhaps a better look overall at the mechanics and character workings will entice me.

KOF14 and Samurai Shodown both had demos prior to their release, so15 may have one too.

Last edited: