Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Watched two feature length documentaries on Prime.

The first was on George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic. What an absolute piece of shit, while certainly not uncommon in the industry I had no idea that he had ripped off literally everyone he ever worked with. Record labels, bandmates, friends... everyone. By all accounts just a terrible person, quite contrary to the whole P-Funk image. Of course he also had a massive drug problem mainly freebasing coke with a side of PCP.

The second was on Rick James. While also a huge piece of shit this was far more interesting. I had no idea that he was in the folk/hippie scene in the 60s while dodging the draft and played with and met so many people Niel Young, Bob Dylan, The Band, Joni Mitchell etc. Then he went to Motown and worked with Ray Charles, The Temptations all kinds of people. It wasn't until he late 70s that he really took off as a solo artist, when he became the Rick James we're familiar with. Cocaine is indeed a hell of a drug, James saying he smoked about $8k worth of crack and base per week for years on end.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
For someone with such an outlandish lifestyle if that was just regular coke it wouldn't be all that impressive but crack is so cheap $8k can buy you A LOT. Before crack was a thing he was flying down to Colombia and buying uncut coke wholesale in the 70s in-between music gigs. Dude was crazy.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Nightmare Alley

Another remake that I think people put on blast so they can say they liked the 1947 version better. Again I never saw the original. so I don't know.
Visually stunning like all his movies but they could have probably trimmed out 10+ minutes by cutting pans and other played out scenes.
Seems like they telegraphed the plot twists and I knew how everything was going to end in the first 15 minutes. Oh well.
I still enjoyed it thought the acting was god. 92% from me / 7.2 IMDB / 79% RT / 70% meta

Last edited:

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Watched both Murder on the Orient Expresses.

I dunno. Both pretty equivalent in my book, was surprised how disparate the critic reception is.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Watched both Murder on the Orient Expresses.

I dunno. Both pretty equivalent in my book, was surprised how disparate the critic reception is.
I liked it as well, I watched the 70's version but not recently. I think I was about 10 so I don't remember.
IIRC it used to play on A&E all the time in the 80's.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Color Out of Space- As a fan of Richard Stanley's earlier movies especially Dust Devil I was interested to see this. An H.P. Lovecraft adaptation starring Nicholas Cage made by the guy who literally went insane trying to make The Island of Dr. Moreau. It didn't disappoint, crazy shit. Cage delivers again with another unhinged but still controlled performance. Not everything work but all around interesting and well made enough to overlook a lot of flaws. In less creative and capable hands this easily could have been a total disaster.
We watched this last night and yeah, it was solid. I enjoyed it more before the point Cage retreated into stereotypical Nic Cage mode at the end, but it was still good. I read this is the first movie in a proposed trilogy of Lovecraft adaptations by Richard Stanley, and I'd definitely like to see more.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I read this is the first movie in a proposed trilogy of Lovecraft adaptations by Richard Stanley, and I'd definitely like to see more.
We'll see, he's currently in trouble over some sort of he said/she said sex stuff between him and the co-writer. I hope it doesn't end his career (again) or relegate him to just behind the scenes work.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Mr. Turner

An autobiographical film about the famous English landscape painter J.M.W Turner. Really beautiful film with a good performance from Timothy Spall, who I like as an actor in general, his mannerisms in this film reminded me of Danny DeVito's Penguin ;D

3/5

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Bone Tomahawk - Liked this one, Kurt's always a pleasure for me. Bit of dark humour here, has some gory moments. Well worth a watch.

The Green Inferno - A weird attempt at a cannibal holocaust style film but stripped of it's essence leaving only the husk. Avoid.

Ichi the Killer - Abstract but cool. Lots of fucked up shit, some of it aged CG (2001) but entertaining none the less. Watch if you like weird shit.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Ichi the Killer - Abstract but cool. Lots of fucked up shit, some of it aged CG (2001) but entertaining none the less. Watch if you like weird shit.
I still think this is one of Miike's best, seeing it for the first time 20 years ago was mind blowing. Kakihara is such and awesome character.

Fun Fact: The guy that was Ichi's handler was played by Shinya Tsukamoto.

If you liked that check out Dead or Alive, Guzo and Deadly Outlaw Rekka. They're all from around the same time and have similar energy. The opening alone to DOA is one of the batshit insane things ever put on film. Audition is also worth a watch.

There's also a prequel to Ichi the Killer called Ichi set in high school but it fucking sucks.

Also since you seem to be looking for shock value stuff and dug Ichi check out Machine Girl, Tokyo Gore Police, Meatball Machine, Electric Dragon 80,000v, Tokyo Fist, Tetsuo: Iron Man & Body Hammer. The japanese direct to video market in the 90s and early 00s was nuts.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
The nipple scene in Ichi the Killer still makes me squirm when watching it.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Mikey and Nicky (2019 re-cut)
Really good '70s movie about two childhood friends who are now small-time gangsters in their 40s. One asks the other to help him get out of some trouble, but decades of friendship might not be enough to offset the natural suspicion that comes with being a gangster. The movie is notorious for having gone over budget and the studio trying to kill it, but the director hid the reels across the country so they couldn't butcher her movie with an edit from an incomplete shoot.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Doom Asylum- Well I thought this was going to be a so bad it's good 80s horror comedy but it's mostly just awkward and confusing. There are a few laughs but most of the gags fall flat or are ruined by "creative" editing, which is to say it feels like parts of the movie are randomly spliced together. Also the entire budget clearly went to the gore effects which are shockingly gruesome compared to the tone of the scenes that feature them. It's a fucking mess, the runtime is 79 minutes and that's with a lot of filler. I feel like a competent editor could have made this a dumb fun quickie like Chopping Mall or Terror Vision but no such luck. Oh well, at least there's enough for an awesome (and deceptive) trailer.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Saw a Norwegian movie on netflix called The Trip. Kind of a dark comedy about a couple who both plan to kill each other on a trip to a cabin in the woods. Predictable but fun. Small amount of funny light gore.

Reactions: jro

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Kimi - solid script made better by Zoe Kravitz' performance and Soderbergh's direction. At first I thought the frequent COVID references were going to get old and/or date the movie too much, but given how well they play into who Kravitz' character is, I bought in eventually. Tight pacing and a very satisfying ending, certainly recommended.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Nightmare Alley- As mentioned it's predictable even not having seen the original but I don't think the predictability really hurts the movie. Cate Blachett steals the show, she is perfectly cast and looks like she was made for the part. Bradley Cooper was okay and the supporting cast was strong. The entire movie looks absolutely phenomenal, if you like Art Deco this is a real treat. It's a bit long but never really drags in no small part because there's always something to look at even in small scenes. I would put this a cut or two above stuff like The Illusionist and The Prestige, this is far less gimmicky and masterfully crafted. Recommended.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
For years, I had the movie The Gate on my search list (hoping to find it on VHS) since remembering always watching it when it was on its original run on HBO. I never did find it on VHS or DVD or anything, but it did appear as one of the free movies on Youtube so I gave it a shot. Now I can say that it was better off being fuzzy nostalgia.

Also, IDK why Youtube is trying movies. Even if you were to pay for any of them, their video player is only in stereo. So there is no purpose to watch an action or sci-fi type movie since surround wouldn't be an option.

Reactions: wyo

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Also, IDK why Youtube is trying movies. Even if you were to pay for any of them, their video player is only in stereo. So there is no purpose to watch an action or sci-fi type movie since surround wouldn't be an option.
Most people don't give a shit about surround sound.

For all but the most VFX-heavy blockbusters, DVDs still outsell Blu Rays, 4K Blu Rays, and 3D Blu Rays combined.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
You think surround sound came about in 2006?
No?

I think most people just don't give a shit about a/v quality in any context and never have.

Look, I get it. I have a 4K TV, a 4K Blu Ray player, a nice sound setup.

It doesn't change the fact that most people are watching 480p Netflix buffering on their phones with shitty wireless earbuds.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
No?

I think most people just don't give a shit about a/v quality in any context and never have.

Look, I get it. I have a 4K TV, a 4K Blu Ray player, a nice sound setup.

It doesn't change the fact that most people are watching 480p Netflix buffering on their phones with shitty wireless earbuds.
This...

99.9% of people anymore don't give a fuck about the audio when watching things. Hell, most people are more than fine watching shit on their phones/tablets/computers. With the interwebs/social media/etc absorbing people's time any kind of movie is usually backround noise.

And even then if they watch it on a tv the vast majority of them are just using the tv speakers (which kinda suck on flat panel displas). Rarely does anyone even use those shitty soundbars let alone an actual dedicated HT setup.

So, why would YT care about the hassle/expense of doing anything more than just stereo audio? They don't have to try bc no one is going to use/appreciate it so less expense on their part = moar profit...