Are you an SNK fan or a neogeo fan?

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Moi? - the latter
No real interest in pre-neo games, post either

Not put more than maybe 8hrs on any kof past 2003 in total, and tbh my neo collection mainly goes up to the bankruptcy period sans 01/02

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
SNK fan.

Enjoyed pre-Neo releases like Psycho Soldier and Ikari Warriors (even though I was too young to have any knowledge or grasp on who/what SNK even was), was blown away by the Neo-Geo when it started appearing in Vegas in 1991 (but still had no idea who SNK was), and then became a proper fan of both in the 90s thanks to NeoRageX and the emulation scene.

Loved and enjoyed most of their SNKP / SNK 2.0 releases since then.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I’ve always been a fan of both with a healthy bias towards the Neo Geo hardware years. Even though the actual developers and creative teams behind SNK’s games have constantly changed a great deal since the 80’s and 90’s. I have always gravitated toward their games over the decades and have always had a good time.

Even though nothing can touch OG SNK’s latter output on the Neo Geo imho (especially the late releases like Last Blade 2, Garou, etc), I still managed to enjoy the output from Eolith, Noise Factory, Monolith, etc during the Playmore years too. It has been interesting to watch modern SNK cash in on nostalgia and the continued support of their characters and IP’s (primarily via legacy releases and mobile), while still attempting to stay competitive amongst other modern titles.

Either way, regardless of divided opinions on SNK’s output, the company itself has managed to stand the test of time despite all odds to the contrary :lolz:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Neo Geo (AES/MVS/CD). Never got into the later releases/3D stuff and I'm not into handheld consoles.

Technos

Formerly known as #28
20 Year Member
Same as kernow. The pre-Neo stuff is so crusty. To me it ended when Aruze came in, and the Playmore years were basically junk. But 1990-2000 is golden, even the “bad” stuff from then is just fine.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
SNK. Don't really care about most of the pre-Neo stuff (though I definitely played some Ikari Warriors/POW in the arcades) but my love started with the early Neo games (Fatal Fury, Nam, Ninja Combat's hilarious translation, Magician Lord). I still like the later KoF games (sans 12) and the NGPC (I would play a new Card Fighters' Clash that wasn't garbage in a heartbeat) and I'll buy pretty much whatever they do as long as it looks decent and isn't mobile trash.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
Both I guess , I have a POW arcade pcb. The NGPC was my jam. I was 16 at the time. And my first import was a b/w system with kofr1. Later on when the color version was released I also got that one. It was amazing seeing the games in stores and being able to buy one.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I’m a fan of old SNK, from Vanguard through the Neo era and dying out once they went full perv and 3D. I was probably a maximum fan in 1986 and then again in 1998. I love Neo big time, Pocket as well. KOF XV can fuck off though and the Saudi connection makes it extremely easy to just forget the company still exists and just be content with MVS carts and art books and laserdiscs or whatever. I’m %100 sure I’d never play whatever the fuck it is they’re working on now even if I did buy it.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I love the Neo, above any other console, but I am a fan of SNK for it's hardware in general and arcade software, not much outside of this. Same exact thing goes for Sega. They can suck a dick as publisher or whatever, even when the game in question is good or great. I like these companies for their visions and game related tech. Outside of this I couldn't really care less. Well maybe just a little

Neo_Mike_81

King's Dry Cleaner
Both. SNK since P.O.W. was released and Neo since the candy cabs first appeared at the Arcades in the Mall.

sirlynxalot

Enemy Chaser
Fagit of the Year
I think I'm a neogeo mvs/aes fan. I really like SNK's character designs like Terry Bogard and stuff, but all the games I regard as awesome and classic to me are the games SNK did on the neogeo hardware. Part of my enjoyment of the neogeo stuff is observing SNK's creativity in the latter half of the 90s and early 2000s to really max out the neogeo hardware and show us something new and cool that they were able to do with those circa 1989 technology limitations. Once stuff started getting made on the atomiswave and later, that feeling of "wow, I'm so impressed they were able to do this" went away. I also mostly lost interest with modern gaming around 2006 and the end of the xbox/ps2 generation, so that probably plays a part, too.

For pre-neogeo stuff, I do think Mad Crasher is pretty cool!

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
I'm only really a fan of the games they put out in the Neo era, even if I didn't actually play the Neo Geo until much later, they were all Playstation/Dreamcast games to me. I'm a fan of the world and characters though, so I'd still consider myself an SNK fan

I can't think of anything pre or post MVS that I think is amazing though

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
SNK since I was a master at Psycho Soldier and played a lot of Ikari Warriors, Victory Road, POW, Time Soldiers and Vanguard before the Neo hit the arcades, though I did play my fair share of the classics carts.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
Neither.

I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing here or who you people are.

LMOA.

At times it does seem like what brought us here has faded away into obscurity & we are curmudgeoning a bit.

Anyway, moving on. Great topic Kern.

To answer the question at hand: Neo Geo first & foremost. I was too young to take in & enjoy SNK's pre-Neo offerings so I can't get the nostalgia out of them that others 5 to 10 years older than me get. Plus those titles, like many from the 80's have not aged that good.

Of the few non neo offerings (Kodelka, etc) SNK offered during the Neo's long life, None of them wer on my radar.

Post Neo till now.........honestly........meh. The full realization of this for me was just recently with the release of KOF 15. Once I took a good look at it & what teh series has become in regards to new character designs, graphics & overall execution the reality was I was completely unmoved. Perhaps that will change when I play it. I still have to take in the Sam Sho re-boot, which does look significantly better.

There is a major exception for me when it comes to SNK's post Neo Geo games & that is KOF 12 & 13. Those were a fucking godsend. I was gutter when I learned that SNK was scraping the engine when moving to 14. The KOF 12/13 engine was amazing & resulted in 2 of the best looking games I have ever seen. There overall aesthetic, designs, sound, etc was great too. If there ever was a true successor to the Neo Geo in terms of hardware I feel that KOF 12 & 13 would have been what the games would have looked like.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
The local arcade had most of the games Arcademan mentioned but no NG games. At other arcades I played Metal Slug.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Both but not neither post 02 or so. As much as I like the Neo itself a big part of the appeal to me has always been SNKs artwork. The promotional and advertising artwork they did is awesome and has a very specific charm especially the late 90s stuff.

Just look at the covers for the home carts. KOF 96,98,00, Real Bout 1&2, Sam Sho 2 etc. Fucking iconic. Even the shitty games have art that just oozes character. The KOF 98 cover in particular is so awesome and different. All the characters at a fancy pool party just chilling, that's so much more interesting than jacked anime dudes grimacing and big tits in cliche poses.

Neo_Mike_81

King's Dry Cleaner
I was a Playmore fan aswell during the Dreamcast and PSone Y2K era playing games like Koudelka, Metal Slug X , Garou, KOF 2K titles even Samurai spirits Warriors Rage aswell because I couldn't afford to get a Neo.
I even bought the Nakoruru game for the Dreamcast ( which I don't have anymore).

sirlynxalot

Enemy Chaser
Fagit of the Year
^But did you play Cool Cool Toon? SNK's 3d rhythm game for dreamcast? I've never played it, it didn't seem like it would be interesting from the gameplay perspective, but it does seem very unusual in SNK's catalogue since its unlike all of their other games (3D, designed only for dreamcast, it is a music/rhythm game rather than a fighting game, etc), kind of like Cave making that 3d snowboarding game for sega saturn.

MarsellusW

n00b
Neo Geo all the way. Most arcade i visited when i was young in Spain had mostly Neo Geo games and Capcom games. Now i own a cocktailbar and i bought a Neo Geo sc19-4 cabinet and searching for a Capcom Cute mini. Couple of games i always enjoyed next to the Neo Geo games are Snow Bros, Final Fight, Golden Axe. Brings back memories. My son also loves them and i am the most populair dad of the school. xD

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
^But did you play Cool Cool Toon? SNK's 3d rhythm game for dreamcast? I've never played it, it didn't seem like it would be interesting from the gameplay perspective, but it does seem very unusual in SNK's catalogue since its unlike all of their other games (3D, designed only for dreamcast, it is a music/rhythm game rather than a fighting game, etc), kind of like Cave making that 3d snowboarding game for sega saturn.
I have, was pretty cool actually, and you're right - a strange release