Are you an SNK fan or a neogeo fan?

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Mostly a NEO·GEO fan. It was the NEO·GEO arcade system (MVS) that introduced the SNK brand to me to begin with. Pre-NEO·GEO SNK games had been scarce around my place here in Italy (but I loved Prehistoric Isle at least). Then, the unique NEO·GEO style, which was exquisitely '90-ish, had me hooked to the system, altogether with that "forbidden dream" of having the arcade real deal at home. :-)

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
Defiantly a Neo Geo fan, Not really enjoyed anything past 2000 although I have tried...! More specifically 93 - 2000, not really a fan of pre 93, Samurai shodown was my intro to Neo Geo followed by Art of fighting 2 and KOF94.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Wow, great topic. A question that I've never considered before, even after being involved in this community in some capacity since 1998.

I'd say I'm a Neo-Geo fan first, SNK second - but that came later. Like @Orpheus said, I was too young/not exposed to many pre Neo-Geo SNK games outside of a hand full of titles. Actually, my first proper SNK experience was the DOS port of Lee Travino's Fighting Golf on our hand-me-down 386 (Thanks Dad!). It wasn't until I played Fatal Fury 2 on the SNES that I began to pay attention to SNK as a brand. I guess I was around 13 at the time - 1994 or so because I discovered KOF 94, Samurai Shodown and Fatal Fury Special in the local arcade not long after I rented FF2. I became obsessed with SNK games after that.

The post golden age games (anything after 2000) I generally shun. The only games in my Neo library from the Playmore era are KOF 2K1. 2K2, and 2K3 just to have a complete KOF set on AES. That said, as an adult who has gotten more into the history of the art of video games, I've discovered many pre Neo era SNK games that I think are fascinating. Not "good" games, but fascinating from a historical stand point. Sausuke Vs Command is really neat, as well as weird shit like Fantasy. Hell, the original Prehistoric Isle and Beast Busters are also bangers in their own right.

SNK's output 2003 - 2019 didn't at all interest me. Even though I thought the new SS was cool, I didn't really get into it. KOFXV is very, very fun and aside from a few gripes, really feels the most like "classic" SNK in a very long time. That said, I'm "retired" from competitive fighting game play so I'll never put in the hours to really dissect the game. Glad all the kids are playing, though!

thanks for coming to my ted talk

Last edited:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Although I don't really care for SNK before the NEO, I always followed SNK strong past the consoles lifespan with games like KOF 11,12,13. Metal Slug 6,7. Neo Geo Battle Coliseum, KOF Neo Wave and so on.

Even when playing the Capcom vs SNK games in the arcades I always took sides with SNK most of the time as well as being a big fan of SNK anime such as the Fatal Fury movies and a collector of the KOF comic books and Manga.

But a question form me would be did anyone really care for the SNK name before the console?. Like did anyone actually go out into the arcades and gameshops looking for the SNK logo like people did with Capcom and Konami back then?.

Last edited:

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
SNK before NeoGeo. The company and their franchises are more important than the platform the games are on to me.

city41

Aero Fighters Flyboy
10 Year Member
I'm an SNK fan. Their pre Neo stuff is good. I also generally don't like SNKP era stuff much.

Despite a lot of the same people being involved, late Neo games just have an overall rushed/mugen feel to them. Including the slugs.

doaal

Mr. Big's Thug
Golden era was ~92-00. More great games during that period than the company's other years put together. But there's been some nice surprises. If they can resolve their 3D art ugliness I think they'll be in good shape.

I am both a snk And a Neo-Geo fan because I know all the snk lore and know how to play their fighting games and im a NeoGeo fan because I own a aes and use my memory card all the time when I go to the arcade!

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I think more NG, but it's the same with many things for me. I was an 80's cubs fan. 90's Dan Marino dolphins fan.
But I'm not a Cubs or a Dolphins fan. I enjoyed that team makeup and playstyle at the time, however, i don't care about the brand or franchise.

There are plenty of NES fans that are not necessarily Nintendo fans.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Both. I'm not very interested in SNK's pre-Neo stuff, but I've followed their [real, non-mobile, non-pachinko] games since.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Neo Fan. SNK put out some really shitty 3d titles. The MI and Falcoon days were fucking terrible.

Best thing SNK did post Neo was XIII. They will never top that.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I'd say both with a heavy lean towards gaming. I play a lot of Neo games and I'm fascinated by the history and preservation of them for future gamers to experience. SNK the company is interesting as well. I find the internal development of these games and their hardware to be very interesting. Modern day SNK is ok but it is not the same.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
More neo fan than snk, although post-neo snk has had a few bangers. Such as kof13 and samsho 2019

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I was born in 1990 so I wasn't around for pre-Neo SNK. I've gone back and played and enjoyed some of their earlier games but for me Neo Geo came onto the radar when I saw it in magazines when I was 6 or 7. I didn't get any Neo hardware of my own until 2007 (NGPC), 2009 (NGCD), 2011 (MVS).

As far as post-Neo, I picked up some of the KOF games and Metal Slugs (Advance, Anthology, 7, XX). Not much else.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Tricky question... I experienced a similar dilemma with being a fan of football teams/players in the main European leagues. Do I have to stick with a club even though all my favorite players including their manager went somewhere else after a season? Isn't it a totally different team then? I feel like SNK also lost its players, i.e. vital employees, and changed into, well, something else. But the Neo remains still the same: my own private arcade at home. That makes the answer pretty obvious to me. Like OP I'm the latter.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
It's too hard to separate them. I see SNK, I think Neo-Geo. And It'll always be tied together. But anything past 2001, doesn't really feel that much like true SNK.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
IDK, aside from the fighting games everyone know and love the early neo library is a bit lackluster, so I never was a big tymer enthusiast. I do love the story of the platform and communities that formed around it, but I would wager I'm more of a SNK fan than a Neo fan. In fact, once again excluding fighting and slugs, I would be more of an Alpha Denshi fan than anything.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
I've played a disgusting amount of Ikari Warriors and Sky Soldiers. Also like TNK, Gorilla War, Search and Rescue, and Sky Adventure. Search and Rescue in particular feels like a preview of NeoGeo, with its larger character sprites and explosive bloody dismemberments. Can't help but smile while playing that game.

I guess both would be the answer.

Neo_Mike_81

King's Dry Cleaner
I still play SNK/Neo ports on my Dreamcast and PSone recently on the occasion.
But other than that I mess with the Neo CD mostly. I do plan on regetting a Neo pocket color someday. I prefer SNK over Capcom shit anyday.

skunk_ape

n00b
Saw/played “Beast Busters” at a Yellow Brick Road arcade circa 1989 as a kid and was hooked for life. Remarkable how much impact that game had on my impressionable 8-year old psyche.

Of course was relatively familiar with Ikari Warriors and the like, but for me personally, pre-Neo era SNK was synonymous with the Busting of Beasts. Fast forward shortly thereafter when Neo cabs started to permeate local arcades and such began my now 3 decade+ long obsession.

Still pissed we never got a “true” sequel to Busters’ on dedicated Neo hardware. Imagine it being not unlike the original Sengoku with its whole dystopian setting and the horror/gore fest that is Data East’s “Night Slashers”. Ah well.

And YES. I am familiar with the spiritual sequels on the Hyper 64 and NGPC.

That shit don’t count.

Last edited:

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
Moi? - the latter
No real interest in pre-neo games, post either

Not put more than maybe 8hrs on any kof past 2003 in total, and tbh my neo collection mainly goes up to the bankruptcy period sans 01/02
Just Neo Geo

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
SNK fan. Although I haven’t explored their library pre-neogeo.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Pretty much just their neogeo offerings. They've got a handful of things out side of neogeo that are worthwhile tho.

geladobom

War Room Troll
SNK Fan because i never buy anything of neogeo, i already play neogeo on real arcade cabinets, but far from that i have just SNK games throw steam and gog. I have as well SNK Games throw playstation 2 originals.