Official A/V Thread

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
The turntable ended up coming early so I ordered the Edifier R1280T set which should be here tomorrow. If you guys have anything in $200 range in mind, let me know, though. These would just be placeholders until we buy a house next year, so they don't have be amazing.

Are you looking for powered speakers or will you eventually use an amplifier?

The Edifier speakers will definitely hold you over. Good speaker for the price.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Are you looking for powered speakers or will you eventually use an amplifier?

The Edifier speakers will definitely hold you over. Good speaker for the price.
Just powered speakers for now. Even after we move, this is going to be the living room setup. I'll hopefully be able to get a 1200 and some more primo stuff for my office.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I got the audioengine A5 when i first got into music, they work well and are powered. You can hook a subwoofer to it directly if you have one, and they come with aux and Bluetooth sometimes.

Klipsch has a lot of deals as well on their speakers, check out their site for.some good ones

Ordered some distressed oak klipsch forte iv’s today, got a local offer too good to pass up. Im super excited to try some different amp combinations on them. Brown liquor and hifi weekend incoming.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
Ordered some distressed oak klipsch forte iv’s today, got a local offer too good to pass up. Im super excited to try some different amp combinations on them. Brown liquor and hifi weekend incoming.

Those speakers have been getting NOTHING short of rave reviews. The mark III's got them as well but the general consensus is that the tweaks/improvements in the IV's round them out by making making everything from the bottom to the top end ideally cohesive.

I doubt you will be let down.

I would also recommend getting a quality 1970's receiver or integrated amp from brands such as Pioneer, Sony, Marantz, etc. Spending $1K to $1,500 will get you the world but even droping only $300 to $500 will still get you a tremendous amount of bang for your buck. 1970's watts are hella strong & the Klipsch's are very sensitive. Plus the 1970's units are built like tanks & purdy as fuck.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Meh, modern amps pls
There is a part of me that wants a 70’s Marantz 22xx series amp but nah…Some people seem to love them but what are they comparing them to? Have we really not been able to produce better amps in the last 40 odd years? Doubt it.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I got a really nice refurbished 70s Sansui amp at a local electronics shop unbelievably cheap a few years ago. It was in amazing condition, looked like it just came out of the factory. I think a vintage Hi-Fi guy died and his family just dumped all of his gear because they also had some other nice era specific components that my buddy ended up buying. The store definitely didn't know what they were selling. It looked cool, sounded great and had massive power but it was incredibly huge and weighted about 85 lbs.

It certainly sounded good and had a distinct sound but the size was a serious issue. It didn't fit on any modern shelves. I ended up selling it off rather quick and went back to my Peachtree.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I got a really nice refurbished 70s Sansui amp at a local electronics shop unbelievably cheap a few years ago. It was in amazing condition, looked like it just came out of the factory. I think a vintage Hi-Fi guy died and his family just dumped all of his gear because they also had some other nice era specific components that my buddy ended up buying. The store definitely didn't know what they were selling. It looked cool, sounded great and had massive power but it was incredibly huge and weighted about 85 lbs.

It certainly sounded good and had a distinct sound but the size was a serious issue. It didn't fit on any modern shelves. I ended up selling it off rather quick and went back to my Peachtree.
Bummer. I love Sansui. We had this tuner growing up:
kp3tp0k0ewihucbm3ro9.jpg

Turns out im trash. I cant give up the hood bass that my modded cerwin vega vs150’s made.

Of course the forte 4’s clobber them in every other way and I was prepared to give up some ghetto bass for that, or so I thought.

So I did what trash does and bought an SVS sb3000 for when the mood to listen to project pat or $uicideboy$ hits me.

Im fully prepared to double up or move up to the 4000 if my jaw doesnt drop during this weekends testing and setup.

I imagine it wont get much use, but when Im drunk and sloppy Im going to be glad its there.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Turns out im trash. I cant give up the hood bass that my modded cerwin vega vs150’s made.

Of course the forte 4’s clobber them in every other way and I was prepared to give up some ghetto bass for that, or so I thought.

So I did what trash does and bought an SVS sb3000 for when the mood to listen to project pat or $uicideboy$ hits me.

Im fully prepared to double up or move up to the 4000 if my jaw doesnt drop during this weekends testing and setup.

I imagine it wont get much use, but when Im drunk and sloppy Im going to be glad its there.
You will be glad. I'm a bass guy and have a REL T3 and it gets used all the time. It's a passive sub so it's not as intrusive as a lot of others but it definitely kicks in when it's needed and a lot of stuff just doesn't sound right without it.

Dont know if any of you guys have tube equipment but the russia ukraine war has caused a bunch of panic buying and prices skyrocketing. Below are some modern made russian electro harmonix that are disappearing around the webs, made to replicate the famous ww2 red base rca’s. Also pictured are some psvane tubes that just came in just because they are pretty.

75A1967F-529F-409F-848A-B8535218D018.jpeg14931892-61B3-407C-8DA4-DE609413E098.jpeg

We’ll see terry, first impression is that I should have went for a 4 but i need to experiment with placement and all the settings in the app. Also just remembered today that all these speakers are new and after some googling need to break in. Im reading like 20-30 hours to break in and they can continue to change and sweeten for a hundred or so hours. Svs has a 45 day no questions asked home trial so Ive got a long time to think on it.

Last edited:
The hifi just keeps pouring in. Scooped a minty in box NAD c165bee for less than half price. Wanted to try these A class amps on something with tone control that wasnt vacuum tubes. Ended up putting it in my near field setup in my bedroom.

Got me wondering if you guys have near field or headphone setups supplementing your main rig?

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I wouldn't mind a good headphone rig but probably just wouldn't use it tbh.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
I have an instrument pre that's got vaccuum tubes

Last edited:

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
TL Audio C-5021 Valve Compressor
I use it as a guitar pre

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220403-151718.png