NeoGeo CD SD Loader

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Well, if you tried that many sd cards we may rule out that being the issue. I'd go as Burning Fight suggest, the installation checking route.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Anyone ever successfully set their console region to Brazil? I upgraded to the latest firmware (I was on the previous one until last week) and setting region to Brazil still makes the SD Loader reset into the boot sequence for any game chosen. My system's region is set to Brazil from factory so I'm not sure if its some incompatibility with my hardware revision (seems like our units use a very late hw revision) or just a bug Furrtek never got around fixing.

Not a big deal but I wish I could play in my region without using the original disc drive.

EDIT: btw I encourage all of you to find the original copy protection removal tutorial by Fakk2. The archive.org collection has wrong audio on KOF98 for instance and you won't find a playable copy anywhere else unless you remove the copy protection yourself. It's ez.

Last edited:

bwi

20 Year Member
Anyone had any problems with the 0.9 firmware? My sound goes super crackily when its on my loader.
I wiped the firmware and went back to 0.8 and its fine. Wiped the firmware again then installed 0.9 and still the same issues.
Tried multiple cables first as well, before i remembered it didnt happen before the update.

I don't want to send furtek a message yet untill i get more of an idea what it could be.

Cowabunga

n00b
Anyone ever successfully set their console region to Brazil? I upgraded to the latest firmware (I was on the previous one until last week) and setting region to Brazil still makes the SD Loader reset into the boot sequence for any game chosen. My system's region is set to Brazil from factory so I'm not sure if its some incompatibility with my hardware revision (seems like our units use a very late hw revision) or just a bug Furrtek never got around fixing.

Not a big deal but I wish I could play in my region without using the original disc drive.

EDIT: btw I encourage all of you to find the original copy protection removal tutorial by Fakk2. The archive.org collection has wrong audio on KOF98 for instance and you won't find a playable copy anywhere else unless you remove the copy protection yourself. It's ez.
Is that Fakk2 tutorial a video or some sort or online document? I tried reading through this thread but some of the examples were a bit over my head.

Anyone had any problems with the 0.9 firmware? My sound goes super crackily when its on my loader.
I wiped the firmware and went back to 0.8 and its fine. Wiped the firmware again then installed 0.9 and still the same issues.
Tried multiple cables first as well, before i remembered it didnt happen before the update.

I don't want to send furtek a message yet untill i get more of an idea what it could be.

I remember talking about this issue with my Loader a few pages back. Never really found a fix. I even sent it to a tech wizard but that didn't do it.

Back when I was actively trying to fix the problem I did firmware wipe and reload. I believe I tried two earlier firmware versions and the latest firmware. I don't know if I ever used firmware version 0.8. There's a chance I did and had the same problem. Just assumed my Loader was defective.

As for the roms I used copy removed roms from archive and hybrid ones where I copy pasted the two files needed from archive on other verified roms with the music in the correct order. Said games were scratchy as fuck still, however, a good samaritan from this thread tried those same roms and they worked on his with out the music fucking up. Making me think it's my Loader at least initially?

If it turns out all I need is the proper firmware.... I will be mad I spent money sending it to a tech and relieved the damn thing works.

Last edited:

teuton1711

n00b
Finally got my NEOCD SDLoader installed after getting it from Furrtek last year. All I get is the "Card not present" error. The menu and other info does not appear in the About menu option (all zeroes). I have tried different card makes, and .8 and .9 firmware on freshly formatted FAT32 micro SD cards (Samsung and MicroCenter).

Sometimes I get this error message before "Card not present" - error 00-0200-0000 in center of screen and in lower right corner 4EM 00009 UFFFF

Firstly: any advice would be appreciated!!!!
Secondly: what file formats work with it? (most of my stuff is .ccd/.img/.sub etc. or bin/cue.)
Thirdly: Any particular brand of SD card work for anyone?
Fourthly: I did not realize that the CD drive (which I kept) will not work either because it is now tied into the SD Loaders interface. Is this normal?
Finally: the custom BIOS file that the SD Loader writes to the root of the CD card has zero / zed bytes.

My installer says my cards are the problem because the SD Loader interface appears, but I am not sure after reading what little I can find online.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
I didn't see that specific error myself, but I had fun with the game list only showing "2493". Eventually tracked that down to the SD loader touching the metallic shielding and adding more layers of Kapton tape.

My SD card is just a generic Micro Center one. When formatting the card, I'd recommend using the program the official instructions link to just to rule that out as a variable:

(linked from http://furrtek.free.fr/sdloader/support/firststart_en.htm)

The CD drive should work. IIRC, you may need to press 'D' on the loader to access the original console CD menu and load the game from there.

re: game file formats - My games are in these formats. Files should just be in a loose folder per game:

.bin + .cue
.img + .cue/.ccd/.sub

teuton1711

n00b
I didn't see that specific error myself, but I had fun with the game list only showing "2493". Eventually tracked that down to the SD loader touching the metallic shielding and adding more layers of Kapton tape.

My SD card is just a generic Micro Center one. When formatting the card, I'd recommend using the program the official instructions link to just to rule that out as a variable:

(linked from http://furrtek.free.fr/sdloader/support/firststart_en.htm)

The CD drive should work. IIRC, you may need to press 'D' on the loader to access the original console CD menu and load the game from there.

re: game file formats - My games are in these formats. Files should just be in a loose folder per game:

.bin + .cue
.img + .cue/.ccd/.sub
Thanks for the info. My installer removed the metallic shielding because of that problem. Not sure if that will cause other issues when I get this working. I am concerned that Furrtek sent me one of his defective units. Since his customer support was so bad to begin with, and is nonexistent now, I may be hosed.

I will reformat using the official link to eliminate that potential problem.

Pressing D does not do anything for me. I wiped the firmware and restarted the console with no SD card. That got me to the CD interface, but it would not launch anything. The disc would not even spin.

Yep, those are the file formats I have as well.

I have had great luck with the Micro Center cards, all the way up to 256GB. I've done cards for about 40 different ODEs and flash drives (Everdrive, GameDrive etc.) and this is the worst I have seen. Even Saturn Rhea and Phoebe had more info and better specs. Even the 3DO Mnemo behaved better than this.

Any other help or advice from anyone would be MUCH appreciated!

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Did your installer verify everything worked for him before sending it your way? Like actually load a game or 2?

teuton1711

n00b
Did your installer verify everything worked for him before sending it your way? Like actually load a game or 2?
Installer tried, but said the problem was the SD card since there was so much chatter about them being touchy. The SDLoader screen shows, I can use the ABCD buttons, but no games show. No card present is what I get no matter what. I am going to tear the console down when I can and examine / reinsert the SD cabling and reseat the main unit over the CPU. What size Micro Center card are you using?

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Try switching to the full size SD card board if you ordered one. I had problems with the microSD board with one of my installs. The previously functional CD ROM wouldn't work so I swapped it out. If that doesn't fix it, the problem lies elsewhere. Take everything apart, and check the installation procedure step by step.

teuton1711

n00b
Try switching to the full size SD card board if you ordered one. I had problems with the microSD board with one of my installs. The previously functional CD ROM wouldn't work so I swapped it out. If that doesn't fix it, the problem lies elsewhere. Take everything apart, and check the installation procedure step by step.
I only ordered the micro SD units. So teh nicroSD install killed your CD unit, great engineering and testing on Furrtek's part! I appreciate all the insights.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I only ordered the micro SD units. So teh nicroSD install killed your CD unit, great engineering and testing on Furrtek's part! I appreciate all the insights.
I don't know if it killed the CD, just that it wasn't working with the SD Loader installed. The CD still worked in the other install I did so maybe I made a mistake.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Installer tried, but said the problem was the SD card since there was so much chatter about them being touchy. The SDLoader screen shows, I can use the ABCD buttons, but no games show. No card present is what I get no matter what. I am going to tear the console down when I can and examine / reinsert the SD cabling and reseat the main unit over the CPU. What size Micro Center card are you using?
What kind of installer sends something out without fully testing it? You paid for this? Did they just get stuck and try to finish the project without getting the blame?

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
The Micro SD board worked fine for me, and I'm not saying this is always going to be true but every time my SD Loader did weird things (crashes, bugs, failure to update firmware) it was always my SD Card to blame. The SD device I was using previously was all too happy to corrupt shit silently so I'd test a different SD Card written on a different adapter/computer. Just in case.

I use a regular Sandisk microsd, can't remember if I have 64 or 32 gig though.

Cowabunga

n00b
Thanks for the info. My installer removed the metallic shielding because of that problem. Not sure if that will cause other issues when I get this working. I am concerned that Furrtek sent me one of his defective units. Since his customer support was so bad to begin with, and is nonexistent now, I may be hosed.

I have had great luck with the Micro Center cards, all the way up to 256GB. I've done cards for about 40 different ODEs and flash drives (Everdrive, GameDrive etc.) and this is the worst I have seen. Even Saturn Rhea and Phoebe had more info and better specs. Even the 3DO Mnemo behaved better than this.

Any other help or advice from anyone would be MUCH appreciated!
I have all of those mods too and had zero issues with them. Wasn't until I reached the SD Loader where I'd been experiencing an unfixable problem. I'm going to try and purchase one, one more time and make damn sure I ask the modder to leave the console on in demo mode (or play through the problem games I mentioned earlier) for over 2 hours. That should give me a thorough test before having it shipped! My issue is the music would get scratchy/distorted after after about 25 minutes. Used to take longer to fuck up.

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
Holy hell I hate babysitting the SD Loader. Can't get the bloody thing to work again after getting it out of storage.

Wiper firmware = OK, boots to regular CD BIOS
Install any other firmware = 3 green blinks, black screen

I'm hoping it's just a SD card issue... the last time this happened I just had to fiddle with updates but not this time around.

EDIT: I've opened the console, reseated the connectors and used another (exact same brand) SD Card from a FAT16 partitioned one I had lying around used by a MSX. I've also pressed on the loader itself to secure the CPU connection although it seemed very firm, firm enough for me to not feel any effect from pushing it.

Managed to install latest firmware and boot, second SD Card was thrashed at some point, not sure if by the SD Loader. Me thinks it's all about mechanical failure and this will probably stop working someday because of that damn CPU connector, but oh well.

Last edited:

RastaJedi

n00b

I am not sure if you got an answer yet, but this is extremely common with 0.9b. What you need to do to fix it is use the wiper firmware (ensure you get the 5x yellow blinks) then delete it from SD and put back 0.9b in its place. If it still does not work, wipe again, but this time, drop 0.8 in its place. If audio is fixed, you can attempt a direct upgrade from 0.8 to 0.9b. Most users seem to have success simply wiping & re-flashing 0.9b.

Cowabunga

n00b
I am not sure if you got an answer yet, but this is extremely common with 0.9b. What you need to do to fix it is use the wiper firmware (ensure you get the 5x yellow blinks) then delete it from SD and put back 0.9b in its place. If it still does not work, wipe again, but this time, drop 0.8 in its place. If audio is fixed, you can attempt a direct upgrade from 0.8 to 0.9b. Most users seem to have success simply wiping & re-flashing 0.9b.
Tried that didn't work.

Thanks for attempting to share a fix. I haven't given up on my own Neo CD yet. I know there's a way to stop the crackling because my last tech person said it worked after hours of demo mode. It's just that every time USPS gets it to my home it does the same damn thing. After an hour and 20 minutes there's a noise distortion!

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Didn't even know it was out.

Changes from v0.9:

• Feature: Soft DIPs settings are now automatically saved to SD card
  • Bugfix: No more slowdowns and raster effect glitches on front-loaders
  • Bugfix: No more garbage left on screen after closing in-game menu
  • Cheats: Neo Turf Masters
Known bugs:

• CDDA tracks sometimes start playing a bit too late.
  • Samurai Spirits RPG does not load.
  • Occasional minor in-game menu corruption in Ninja Commando.