SOTM April 2022: Sonic Wings Special & Limited

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
What is the default credits on the Saturn version supposed to be? Running the Saturn version on OpenEmu is defaulting to 9 credits and that can't be right. Are you playing on Normal and 3 credits I assume?

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
What is the default credits on the Saturn version supposed to be? Running the Saturn version on OpenEmu is defaulting to 9 credits and that can't be right. Are you playing on Normal and 3 credits I assume?
Just stop playing after one credit. Your score resets after continuing anyways.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Just stop playing after one credit. Your score resets after continuing anyways.
Ha, you are right. I was thinking of lives. Sorry- been too long since I've played. I'm terrible at shumps but would like to be better- have a long way to go.

snes_collector 174,300 - Stage Four - Captain Silver - Saturn

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-17 at 6.21.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-17 at 6.21.24 PM.png
    365.4 KB · Views: 2

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Ha, you are right. I was thinking of lives. Sorry- been too long since I've played. I'm terrible at shumps but would like to be better- have a long way to go.

snes_collector 174,300 - Stage Four - Captain Silver - Saturn
I’ve realized participating in these contests as of late I’m terrible at shooters as well, but nonetheless I really enjoy this genre and seeing my progress is what I enjoy from participating in these.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
Work is letting up a bit so I finally stole my brother' saturn and played a couple credits. Wanted to get at least one score up just in case:

20220422_191229.jpg

Gremlin - 273,700 - Captain Silver - Stage 5 - Saturn

I Like the Aero Fighters series a ton, even if it's a very middle of the road series. The characters have tons of personality, the music is upbeat and catchy and I think the continuity/lore between games really charming, even if the gameplay isn't incredible. It's sad that the folks who left Video System for Psikyo and continued with the Strikers series left behind all of that personality, as much as I love to play Strikers it's asthetically bland and the music stinks. Both had so much to learn from each other, shoulda joined forces and made beautiful shmup babies together

• I like that the saturn game lets you set credits to 0, nice! Hated waiting for the continue countdown.
  • It has a tate mode, but it's only CCW and my monitor rotates CW only. Lame!
  • I keep thinking I can get into the face of enemies and shot-lock them like other modern shmups and get shot in the face, so I assume that isn't a mechanic.
  • Haven't tried every ship but Mao Mao's hella weak in this game, figured freezing money drops at top of screen is the way to go for scoring but man it's rough.
  • Silver hits hard, I get why yall are picking him.
  • Liking viking a bunch, think I'm gonna play with him for a bit.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
20220424_130827.jpg

Gremlin - 348,700 - Captain Silver - Stage 7 - Saturn

Every character I'm trying besides silver has a hell of a time coming back from powering down, as stages start throwing bodies at you and if you don't have a wide shot it's easy to get swamped. Silver definitely seems to not be set back as much and powers up quickly to manage.

Also remembered the one thing I hated most about the series - that your power level decreases as you fire (or is it time based? I forget). Always bothered me, weird design choice

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Someone please defeat me in Limited. I Will lose interest....

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
View attachment 57199

Gremlin - 348,700 - Captain Silver - Stage 7 - Saturn

Every character I'm trying besides silver has a hell of a time coming back from powering down, as stages start throwing bodies at you and if you don't have a wide shot it's easy to get swamped. Silver definitely seems to not be set back as much and powers up quickly to manage.

Also remembered the one thing I hated most about the series - that your power level decreases as you fire (or is it time based? I forget). Always bothered me, weird design choice
I think max power has a set number of shots. So if you throttle your fire it will last longer than just holding auto.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I’ll be putting some runs together this week on Special and Limited. Getting back to work after vaycay suuuuuucks.

Gonna try to not play as Capt.Silver just to mix it up a bit.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Quick revise on my top score with a better run!

opt2not - 353,900 - Hien - Stage 6 - Saturn
D11A59E4-F035-4DA6-9A68-D85B46CC2175.jpeg

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
I'm a little bit late to the party, but Atro "didn't allow" me to miss this one. Here goes my contribution:

_rm_ - 746,300 - Hein - Stage 6 - PCB

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Is it just me or Limited lets you score more with less stages?

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Is it just me or Limited lets you score more with less stages?
I noticed that there a lot more metals to collect in Limited. Right from the first stage too.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
200.gif

😂

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Nice SOTM all, great turnout and scores. Glad this game was well received. It’s the not most fantastical shmup out there, but it’s accessible, solid and fun. Thanks for playing 🍻