Some popping in MVS sound

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
....which caps did you replace exactly?....

...All of them.

I found a close up pic. of the MV-2F audio section with all the caps labeled and chips pinned out.

I think MKL made it. Looks nice. :)

Chek it out.

Did you change all the caps that are numbered in MKL's pic?

http://imageshack.us/f/10/12464070zm2.jpg/

-----

n. MKL. How to convert a MVS board into Jamma. http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?192729-How-to-convert-a-MVS-board-into-Jamma (Close up picture of an MV-2F Audio Section with caps labeled.)

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Does it have popping during the sound test with and without cart?

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
No popping in test menu. The popping only occurs intermittently with low frequency sounds, (i.e. the thud when someone is hit in KOF2003 or when there are explosions in some of the metal slugs). All of the other sounds are fine, including music.

Tyranix; yes I've replaced every cap on the board. Not just in the pic (which by the way is not identical in its layout to what I have), but every cap even those not related to the audio section.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
....the pic (which by the way is not identical in its layout to what I have)...

Interesting. :scratch:

Just above slot two, at board sections K4 through K8, my NEO-GEO has the words "SNK NEO-MVH MV2F MADE IN JAPAN" silk screened in white.

And, the audio section on my MV2F board matches the auctions section in MKL's pic.--cap. for cap., chip for chip, trace for trace--etc.

Does your two slot NEO-GEO board look like an MV2? (n1.)

Or, does your two slot NEO-GEO board have an audio section that looks like SetaSouji's two slot MV? audio section--without an on board memory card reader? (n2).

-----

n1. Moose. FS: Neo Geo Gold Cabinet Parts. http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?202070-FS-Neo-Geo-Gold-Cabinet-Parts (Pic of MV2)
n2. LWK. Speakers making a raspy noise? http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?217463-Speakers-making-a-raspy-noise&p=3076600 (Pic of audio section from two slot MV?)

Last edited:

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
ignore if you are using in a cab.

Sorry to suggest you haven't done the simplest thing. check your rca connections, change the rca cables, at least give them a jiggle. if they are old and go through a couple twists they can still give good sound (mostly;)) My boyfriend had a similar sound issue with grenades in gears 2 on a very new 360. He got it to go away and definitely didn't do anything inside of the 360. maybe your speakers are toast?

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
Tyranix, none of the above. As a matter of fact I have 2 MV-2F boards and they are identical to one another, but don't exactly match the pic.

I'm pretty sure this frequency in question is being overmodulated. Replacing all the caps, finding that continuity is good throughout is telling me this is some kind of issue with the YM2610.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
...I'm pretty sure this frequency in question is being overmodulated. Replacing all the caps, finding that continuity is good throughout is telling me this is some kind of issue with the YM2610.

Well, after shuffling the carts around on the board, cleaning both carts and both slots, re-capping your board, and finding good continuity between the both slots and the YM chip and the Z80 chip; the next step would be either to replace the YM chip or to check the carts. (n1.)

-----

n1. channelmaniac. Crackling sound on 1-slot MVS for most games. http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...ost-games&highlight=Some+popping+in+MVS+sound (Clean the slot and the game and try again. If that does not work; then, look for damaged traces between the slot and the YM2610 chip--not all of the sound ROM data is making it to the YM.)

Last edited:

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
Bit of a necro bump but I had the same issue with one of my MVS 1 slot board all of a sudden. Before everything was working fine. I just cleaned the contacts between the jamma connector and the MVS board and everything seems ok again but they were ultra clean to begin with. Also twisted the potensiometer left and right a couple of times, it might have been that as well.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Another thing to keep in mind is clipping. Having your volume set to 30-40% will prevent it on the pcb board.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Damn.I wonder what kind of setup he had...was it a consolized unit or in a cab? I know if he was using a television,you can do damage to the television speakers if you have both volume,TV & MOBO adjusted to loudest output. The CRT's speaker will output that crackling,etc...has nothing to do with the mobo.
BB

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Bit of a necro bump but I had the same issue with one of my MVS 1 slot board all of a sudden. Before everything was working fine. I just cleaned the contacts between the jamma connector and the MVS board and everything seems ok again but they were ultra clean to begin with. Also twisted the potensiometer left and right a couple of times, it might have been that as well.
I'm going to say it was probably the pot.

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,

Same thoughts here. I recently (6 months ago) took apart the board and completely washed all the gunk it had all of it's life living in the arcades. Warm water, soap, toothbrush, rinse with distilled water, leave to dry for days, blow air in the slots etc. It worked fine although I didn't turn the pot since it had dried out so it was probably that.

maki

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Just found out that the MV1FZS I had here had a broken volume pot.
The picture would collapse twice a second and there was a loud "audio zapping noise", would get less if I turned the volume down, I've swapped everything in the audio circuit, every capacitor, every IC, and in the end it was the pot..