OFFICIAL N-G.com Star Trek Thread

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
He never noticed the positive Voyager discussion either.

Things could get nasty.
Compared to the current stuff, I'm ready to give Voyager another shot. Luckily, we have all the Trek series from the original to Enterprise on netflix here. Because no way would I ever support the Paramount streaming service.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Compared to the current stuff, I'm ready to give Voyager another shot. Luckily, we have all the Trek series from the original to Enterprise on netflix here. Because no way would I ever support the Paramount streaming service.
Lower shields, cancel red alert.

Yeah they're all on netflix here too, it's really brought them all back to life for me, probably catch a couple of episodes a week.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
You're correct in the order, but doesn't it seem like you'd want to cancel red alert before lowering the shields? Oh well.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
The hindsight of 2017 back when Musk was just the eccentric EV car maker and SpaceX rocket exploder.

Still, that was really dumb. Never mention people in that manner on a show unless they're dead.

What isn't dumb is the new 4K version of the Director's Cut for The Motion Picture. Get your best TV with your best sound system and just take it in. The SFX, new and old, and the new sound mix are fucking clean. Also lots of nice, subtle cuts to help with the pacing so it's not quite so slow. Worth it to at least get the 7 day Paramount+ trial.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
If you have Amazon Prime you can get Paramount plus for 99 cents for the first month.

I’ll check out the reworked Motion Picture.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Ooof, dropping Elon Musks name in between The Wright Brothers and Zephram Cochrane in Discovery was just absolute fucking cringe.
That had to have been written before the left turned on him, given how the rest of Discovery is presented. They used to claim him as their own like a Steve Jobs Jr and now they treat him as being on the same level as Trump, which is bananas.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Speaking of Discovery, what a great name for a Star Trek show that would have been. Sad trombone.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Yes he was. You sure he died?

Little over eight years ago.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Well I just finished EP 12 of Discovery - I was really wondering what the fuck this mirror universe storyline was but it came together nicely.

It’s decent sci-fi but lacking as Trek. I don’t really like the Michael character. The Romance storyline is cringe, the romance with the two gay dudes was better and not cringe. Redemption is surely an ideal in Trek but I dunno.

Rainn Wilson as Mudd was hilarious and I hope he is a recurring annoyance to the crew.

StevenK

10 Year Member
Well I just finished EP 12 of Discovery - I was really wondering what the fuck this mirror universe storyline was but it came together nicely.

It’s decent sci-fi but lacking as Trek. I don’t really like the Michael character. The Romance storyline is cringe, the romance with the two gay dudes was better and not cringe. Redemption is surely an ideal in Trek but I dunno.

Rainn Wilson as Mudd was hilarious and I hope he is a recurring annoyance to the crew.
I would say episode 12 of the first season was as good as Discovery got. For me, it was downhill fast from there.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Michael saving the Terran Emperor was just fucking dumb. She’s an absolute monster,

How many fucking episodes are there in a season? lol

StevenK

10 Year Member
Michael saving the Terran Emperor was just fucking dumb. She’s an absolute monster,

Sorry I thought ep 12 was the end, I should have said ep 15, downhill from there, I.e. season 2.

Fygee

20 Year Member

15 the first, 14 the second, 13 the third and fourth.

Mirror universe Space Hitler has a pretty interesting arc that finishes in season 3.

I think you're going to enjoy season 2. IMO its still the best one. Timing is good too since it will prep you for Strange New Worlds coming out next month.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Visually the show looks great but I don’t understand some of the design decisions. The technology appears more advanced than what we see in Picard.

It’s not really consistent with previous Trek shows.

I still don’t understand the Klingon costumes. Whatever.

Fygee

20 Year Member
There was a lot of pushback from fans about that, and honestly I think they went too far with differences between the design styles. I especially dislike how drab everything looks with oversaturated blue/yellow color correction.

When you see the Enterprise in the next season, and the new upcoming series, you'll see how it should have been.

They also pulled back on the Klingon designs in season 2 to make them more resemble their classic look, while still being more "modern". Hair, less crazy skin and weird head shapes. Kept the double nostrils.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I also thought Klingons didn’t have cloaking technology until the TOS movie era.

And the federation cracked the cloaking…? Except in all future encounters they can’t detect a cloaked Klingon ship.

I suppose that’s my main gripe: series consistency.

Do they continue to use the spore drive? Because the implementation of that technology and even its fundamental underlying structure (multiversal mycellia network) are completely at odds with the understanding of the Universe seen in all later shows.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Oh yes - plenty of spore drive action to come. I agree that Season 2 was probably the best season of Discovery, although its still poor Star Trek overall IMHO. No spoilers, but Seasons 3 and 4 really drop in writing quality compared to the first two seasons. I could write a master's thesis on everything I dislike about Star Trek Discovery's writing, but I'll let you form your own opinions first.