OFFICIAL N-G.com Star Trek Thread

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
Let me know if you circle around to Picard eventually. I watched Episode 6 of Season 2 last night, and man oh man do I have strong opinions. :LOL:

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Let me know if you circle around to Picard eventually. I watched Episode 6 of Season 2 last night, and man oh man do I have strong opinions. :LOL:
This season to me seems like it could have fit neatly just as one episode of stng instead of being drawn out this much for a whole season.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

I’m caught up to the current episode of Picard, rage away!

From season 1 I thought it was really lame that Hugh died.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
From season 1 I thought it was really lame that Hugh died.
I treat the whole thing as an alternate, semi-parallel universe, rather than as a continuation of the TNG tv series. At most, I might consider it a sequel to the TNG movies, which I also consider a parallel universe to the tv show. The writing was so bad and the characters so drastically and fundamentally different in the movies than they'd been for 7 years on tv, I just couldn't reconcile them.

So in my mind, in the TNG tv universe, there is no such thing as a Borg Queen, and Hugh is probably still alive.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
the various books are a better continuence to the series than anything kurtzman and his crew of hacks have released these past five years.
(yes i know books are not canon)

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Let's just say that once season 3 starts, you don't have to worry about things interfering with established canon anymore. For the most part anyways.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I treat the whole thing as an alternate, semi-parallel universe, rather than as a continuation of the TNG tv series. At most, I might consider it a sequel to the TNG movies, which I also consider a parallel universe to the tv show. The writing was so bad and the characters so drastically and fundamentally different in the movies than they'd been for 7 years on tv, I just couldn't reconcile them.

So in my mind, in the TNG tv universe, there is no such thing as a Borg Queen, and Hugh is probably still alive.

Picard starts strong with his total condemnation of the Federeration’s refusal/failure to help the Romulans but it’s all sort of downhill from there - and it does seem strange like an alternate reality itself that the federation as a whole would forgo its principles.

Fygee

20 Year Member
The Federation is in a slump. The Dominion War combined with Romulus being destroyed unfortunately created a "us first" mentality. It's a big part of the story arc.

That arc got a lot of criticism from fans who think the Federation should forever be the ironclad Mary Sue of the galaxy, but personally I like that they showed a version of the Federation that's not what it's always been. Galactic calamities have consequences.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member

Which TNG movie do you prefer the most of the bunch? I didn’t like it at first, but I would consider Insurrection to be my favorite of the bunch because it seems the most like a (subpar) episode of the tv show.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The Federation is in a slump. The Dominion War combined with Romulus being destroyed unfortunately created a "us first" mentality. It's a big part of the story arc.

That arc got a lot of criticism from fans who think the Federation should forever be the ironclad Mary Sue of the galaxy, but personally I like that they showed a version of the Federation that's not what it's always been. Galactic calamities have consequences.

Sure, some of Star Trek’s best episodes play around with that - see “Drumhead” from TNG for example and a few others.

But the latter half of DS9 really was the “dark side of trek.”

Discovery season 1 was also the same thing though we did get a positive conclusion (armistice.)

In the Picard era we need good to triumph over not necessarily evil, but the faults we as a species have: hatred, jealousy, fear, doubt, etc.

I guess Star Trek is a bit special in that it purports to be about something on a meta level, rather than just generic space opera.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Discovery Season 2 - Ep 1: Oof so after a largely original and unique story in season 1 (whatever you think of its quality regardless) we’re now dealing with a storyline that deals with previously established characters and calling back to old Trek to establish discovery’s trek cred?

I’m not opposed to exploring these characters but this some comic book level retconning.

Oh well, I do like the guy playing Sarek.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Also am I crazy or does discovery use the term race whereas other Trek uses “species?”

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
But the latter half of DS9 really was the “dark side of trek.”
That's why I think DS9 is a fantastic sf show, but not always a good Star Trek show (although more than a few times, it is a great Star Trek show).

Which TNG movie do you prefer the most of the bunch? I didn’t like it at first, but I would consider Insurrection to be my favorite of the bunch because it seems the most like a (subpar) episode of the tv show.
Yeah, I'd say the same for exactly the same reason. But even with that one, I don't really consider them the same characters from the tv show.

That arc got a lot of criticism from fans who think the Federation should forever be the ironclad Mary Sue of the galaxy
It has nothing to do with wanting the Federation to be a Mary Sue (there's an overused term). It has to do with wanting to believe in a positive future where humanity has evolved past its pettiness and bigotry, which is what Star Trek used to represent. We don't need it to be a nightmarish and corrupt dystopia. Not only are there a billion other shows and movies covering that ground to death, but we're also living it right now.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Garack is the best DS9 character.
I liked Gul Dukat for a good while through it, there was an ambiguity to him from the outset. The idea that he and Kira might be able to see eye to eye on anything was full of potential. They got lazy though, fucked it off and made him a pantomime villain in the end.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The Dominion War really killed the Cardassian/Bejoran/Spiritual Exploration storyline.

Not that I was in love with the religious stuff but religion and religious belief was something not necessarily explored.

Does Sisko die at the end? I can never remember other than he like fights a demon in hell, or…something.

Fygee

20 Year Member
That's why I think DS9 is a fantastic sf show, but not always a good Star Trek show (although more than a few times, it is a great Star Trek show).

Yeah, I'd say the same for exactly the same reason. But even with that one, I don't really consider them the same characters from the tv show.

It has nothing to do with wanting the Federation to be a Mary Sue (there's an overused term). It has to do with wanting to believe in a positive future where humanity has evolved past its pettiness and bigotry, which is what Star Trek used to represent. We don't need it to be a nightmarish and corrupt dystopia. Not only are there a billion other shows and movies covering that ground to death, but we're also living it right now.
The Federation wasn't a nightmarish or corrupt dystopia in Picard. They became isolationist and reluctant to help a long time bitter enemy. The crux of their story arc was them overcoming that.

There's numerous TNG and DS9 episodes that cover that same ground, be it bigotry (The Measure of a Man, The Drumhead), fear and distrust (changeling infiltration and the Dominion war), and more corrupt/total asshole admirals than you can shake a stick at.

Episode 1 of S2 Picard and season 3 and 4 of Discovery made it clear that they're moving past that and Starfleet is back to being who they truly are. I expect Strange New Worlds will take that ball and run away with it.

Fygee

20 Year Member
The Dominion War really killed the Cardassian/Bejoran/Spiritual Exploration storyline.

Not that I was in love with the religious stuff but religion and religious belief was something not necessarily explored.

Does Sisko die at the end? I can never remember other than he like fights a demon in hell, or…something.
Sisko became one with The Prophets.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
RE: Discovery Season2 Ep 1 - Burnham enters her brothers room, on a different Starship, and listens to his Private log. How did she even gain access?

Is the formula for this show that Michael commits questionable, highly unethical acts and then the rest of the season is the redemption arc?

Wtf.

Ep 2 begins and…the technology specifically banned by Starfleet is put to use because EnDs JuStIfY tHe MeAnS.

Also…let me tell you confidential medical information about your brother lol.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
LMFAO they let the Emperor of Terra, literal SPACE HITLER, in to…Section 31?!

Fuck me.

I really, really, really want to like this show. Truly I do, but some of this is just too much.

And sorry this is my Trek hot take thread.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
They are so close to something good with Discovery. Just remove Michael, and it's interesting all of a sudden.

Fygee

20 Year Member
LMFAO they let the Emperor of Terra, literal SPACE HITLER, in to…Section 31?!

Fuck me.

I really, really, really want to like this show. Truly I do, but some of this is just too much.

And sorry this is my Trek hot take thread.
Section 31 has no bones about who they admit. They've always been about "whatever it takes to protect Starfleet's interests". Who better than Space Hitler to get things done without moral boundaries? They get deeper into this as the season goes on.

Burnham got access to Spock's private logs because plot. Age old Star Trek trope of characters getting access to systems or logs to move the plot along, regardless of security barriers. Same for the medical info. Best to throw your brain out the window for these.

Banned tech is now "ends justify the means" because of how many losses Starfleet took in the Klingon War (which they weirdly blazed through pretty darn quick at the end of Season 1).