Theme Parks / Rolluhmahcoasters?

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Any of you fuckers in to rollercoasters/thrill rides/bungie jumping/adrenaline-based buffoonery?

Just got back from Tampa to ride Iron Gwazi at Busch Gardens. We've hit just about every major theme park on the East Coast and the Midwest over the years and while I'm deathly afraid of heights, doing it under controlled conditions doesn't seem to bother me as much.

100proof

10 Year Member
True facts. We were actually going to go back to King's Island/Cedar Point in April but decided on Tampa instead because we weren't sure if Beast would be re-opened by that point (closed for re-tracking/maintenance). Glad we did.

tomwaits

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
Cedar Point is awesome!

I've been on a lot of coasters but my favorite was the original Giant at Six Flags Texas. Was the largest wooden coaster at the time... wobbly, fast, and loud. They later gave it an overhaul with steel track and structural upgrades. Lame.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Cedar Point and Kings Island were boss, but I get mad motion sickness now. Until about age 20 I was good, now I don't really do roller coasters anymore 😕

100proof

10 Year Member
Yeah I can't go nearly as hard as I used to. In my 20s, I could ride stuff all day for the most part but I have to spread that shit out now to the point that I usually have to go to a park for two days if I want to ride everything. I got 4 rides on Iron Gwazi over the weekend but that ride is violent and intense (to the point that they had to stop the ride 3 separate times while I was in line to clean up puke).

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I stopped going on coasters in my 30s as the shaking around started giving me headaches. It felt like my tiny brain was rattling in my skull...which it was.

Cedar Point is my favorite but I miss Boblo Island

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
We got the Busch Gardens Boobo prize Sesame Place, so I guess that was cool when I was little, not so much as an adult. That’s the closest one to me.

Besides that we have Dorney Park, Hershey Park, and Six Flags Great Adventure. Of the three I’ve only been to Six Flags in the past twenty plus years. Six Flags and Hershey Park are kind of equidistant to New York, so Six Flags at least has a lot of NYC/North NJ crowd over running it too.

I haven’t been in a while, but we used to go to Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens Willamsburg when I was younger. They’re not so far driving distance wise. I really liked both of those.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Any of you fuckers in to rollercoasters/thrill rides/bungie jumping/adrenaline-based buffoonery?
Bro, absolutely. Love rollercoasters, man. The thrill of it is like no other.

We were spoiled in Virginia. Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens, along with water parks. Kings Dominion I guess was Paramount Studios's answer to Universal Studios' theme park. Very fond memories from childhood there. My first time riding a rollercoaster, The Grizzly, was there. I distinctly remember calling for my mommy the first time I rode it. And I thought I was going to die, but then I didn't. Looking back I feel I had such a privileged childhood to go to theme parks every summer. Just the thought alone of those days make me smile.

There was one nearly vertical coaster at Kings Dominion called Hypersonic XLC which was only in service for a couple years. Legendary piece of work. One time I went there, there was no one in line. I rode it so many times.

The most dangerous ride I ever rode, however, was a ferris wheel. In Myanmar. It's late at night and I'm walking around this small town and wouldn't you know it, there's a small amusement park there. It's late at night though and there are almost no people there. I see the ferris wheel, pay for it, and the guy working there says, "Fast?" and I was confused for a second and I said, "Yes, fast." And dude I swear to god the dude must have cranked it up to 11 because I swear to god my car was going to do a complete 360 and I could have fell out. I could have because the bar was doing nothing for me. At the time I remember thinking, "well this is it, my life wasn't so bad at least" because I seriously thought that shit was going to fling me out of the ride. But after a minute, the guy slowed it down and I'm still here.

Anyways. The next logical step for grown ups after roller coasters is skydiving. I wanted to try that but there was a 200 pound weight limit for tandem diving.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I thoroughly entire thrill rides, but I do not seek them out. The last time I went to Six Flags - Saint Louis it was an average weekday with particularly low attendance. I was able to ride whatever I wanted with little to no wait. I quickly realized my brain cannot take that kind of beating anymore. I enjoyed myself immensely, but I felt like I just got out of boxing match when I got home.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I thoroughly entire thrill rides, but I do not seek them out. The last time I went to Six Flags - Saint Louis it was an average weekday with particularly low attendance. I was able to ride whatever I wanted with little to no wait. I quickly realized my brain cannot take that kind of beating anymore. I enjoyed myself immensely, but I felt like I just got out of boxing match when I got home.
If I'm in STL I'm going to the City Museum, I know it's not really a thrill ride, but the rickety ass ferris wheel on top of the building is quite the rush :ROFLMAO:

(For those who have not been, the "City Museum" in STL is more like a 10+ story adult jungle gym and art exhibit than a museum. It's a blast).

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
If I'm in STL I'm going to the City Museum, I know it's not really a thrill ride, but the rickety ass ferris wheel on top of the building is quite the rush :ROFLMAO:

(For those who have not been, the "City Museum" in STL is more like a 10+ story adult jungle gym and art exhibit than a museum. It's a blast).
Fuck yeah, City Museum is the coolest.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
I'm a big theme park nerd. Growing up in Cincinnati, Kings Island is my hometown park and Cedar Point (and Geauga Lake - RIP) is just a few hours away. Got my Platinum Cedar Fair pass for this year - looking forward to getting out a bit more this summer at the Cedar Fair parks and making it down to Dollywood and Holiday World for some coaster action.

Aside from coasters, though, I just love the history of these old parks. Just visiting them is enough for me these days, but thankfully I can still ride most of the rides without too much trouble.

100proof

10 Year Member
Bro, absolutely. Love rollercoasters, man. The thrill of it is like no other.

We were spoiled in Virginia. Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens, along with water parks. Kings Dominion I guess was Paramount Studios's answer to Universal Studios' theme park. Very fond memories from childhood there. My first time riding a rollercoaster, The Grizzly, was there. I distinctly remember calling for my mommy the first time I rode it. And I thought I was going to die, but then I didn't. Looking back I feel I had such a privileged childhood to go to theme parks every summer. Just the thought alone of those days make me smile.

KD was my home park (my parents live like an hour away) when I was a teenager and we used to get season passes almost every year til I moved away in the early 2000s. My buddies and I would show up opening weekend whenever a new ride opened and basically go til none of us could handle it anymore. Speaking of which...

There was one nearly vertical coaster at Kings Dominion called Hypersonic XLC which was only in service for a couple years. Legendary piece of work. One time I went there, there was no one in line. I rode it so many times.

The year Hypersonic opened ('99? 2000?), we went the weekend it opened to the public. It broke down like half a dozen times throughout the day (there's a reason that ride didn't last long) but still got to ride it a few times. Right before the park closed, the five of us who went that day got in line and a few trains before we got on, it broke down again. The park was closing and they weren't sure how long it would take. Everyone else in line gradually left and it was just the five of us in an empty, dark park. We sat there shooting the shit with the ride ops while they ran test runs and made sure everything was kosher. Eventually, they did get it back up (after almost an hour) and we rode a brand new, one-of-a-kind rollercoaster by ourselves in a closed theme park with nobody else around. I have no idea why they didn't just kick us out but it was one of those rare experiences and one of the reasons my buddies and I still meet up at theme parks.