OFFICIAL N-G.com Star Trek Thread

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Lmfao “time crystals.”

I’m enjoying S2 discovery more than season 1, that said, it really feels like the Michael Burnham emotional roller coaster show. While it’s clear they intend to focus on interpersonal drama, this shit get a lil old.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
BUMP.

Star Trek appears to be on an upward swing in terms of shows - we’re currently being inundated with them.

Picard
Discovery
Lower Decks
Strange New Worlds (Airs in may and has… Rebecca Romijn???? WTF.)

And I saw there was some bullshit cgi cartoon called Prodigy that is on Nickelodeon?

I’m going to watch Discovery now (wish me luck) but frankly I’m dismayed it’s set prior to TOS and that Strange New Worlds is again set just before TOS but featuring Spock and Captain Pike and the absolutely still gorgeous Rebecca Romijn???

I’ll take any Trek as long as it’s good (doubtful) but I’m a bit annoyed we don’t have a next “Next Generation” - I suppose that’s Picard but frankly show me a new class of federation officers building on all
The good that came before them. Give me lasting peace between the Federation and the (now) Romulan Free State.

Anyway, I just wanted to bitch about Trek a bit and talk about the TOS rpg that I’ll be running with my gaming group soon.
I think they don't make them the same way as the old Trek (TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager). Rick Berman (who took over the franchise after Roddenberry) was the producer on all of those except TOS. The reboot movies, and the new TV shows, are more of a Hollywood thing now. But Picard still has some of the 'feel' to it, that Next Gen had.

Last edited:

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Lmfao “time crystals.”

I’m enjoying S2 discovery more than season 1, that said, it really feels like the Michael Burnham emotional roller coaster show. While it’s clear they intend to focus on interpersonal drama, this shit get a lil old.
Wait to you get to the current season and it’s 50 minutes of talking about your feelings and 10 percent everything else.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Season 3 hasn’t been bad so far and in part because it’s not the emotional rollercoaster show, they’re doing stuff, and…actually upholding Federation ideals.

The teenage love story is gross though. Too cringe for me.

The trill kid telling the science guy they were not a she but a they/them was a bit on the nose.

I’ll let you know when I get to Season 4.

I was happy to see the unification of the Vulcans and Romulans.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Picard Season 1 and Discovery Season 2 were the exact same plot. Shame on the writers.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
S3 felt the most “Trek” to me.

Mr. Saru is the only good character. The rest all behave like children.

The Book guy is okay.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Watched last
S3 felt the most “Trek” to me.

Mr. Saru is the only good character. The rest all behave like children.

The Book guy is okay.

100% agree about Saru. Great character, played by a great character actor (Doug Jones). I stopped mid-season 4, I just got tired of it. The trans person who is clearly female dating the clearly male gay dude is just... redundant? Y'all each have the parts/genitals the other wants so... why go through all the hullabaloo?

Season 2 of Discovery pissed me off, not because it was dumb but because of the whole retconning with a five-second sentence they do for this show.

So we're supposed to take that Mikey Burnham was Spock's adopted sister that he never ever talks about, and that there is a ship that is more advanced than any ship in the Trek universe ever, 20 some years before the original series. They have hard light holograms and use them for communication. The person calling the other person can interact with things on the other ship during the call. Now, that is a pretty rad concept for Trek. But again - its 20 some years before Kirk, where they used colored glass squares as 'computer chips.'

My whole concern though that season was - how are they going to explain this shit into main continuity? Kirk, TNG, DS9, Picard, the movies and even Enterprise never mention this shit and it's pretty important.

Oh, DD - don't you worry, Trekscovery writers room has you covered.

Spock/Advanced ship: "Since my adopted sister who I dearly love and she saved my life and shes the most important aspect of my life is now gone into the future with that highly advanced ship, let's all pinky promise to never ever ever ever ever.. ever mention it in the future. We good? Pinky promise? Cool. *wipes hands*"

Hard light holograms: "Yeah so this AI was scary and I dont trust the computrons anymore so... to hell with it. No more holograms. Lets all do video calls now. Lets all pinky promise to not use this tech ever ever again."

Oh fuck off writers-of-Trekscovery. Just write a fucking show that takes place after TNG. With season 3 they finally just moved it up to the future, so fine -but you took two damn ultra-broody seasons to do it? Dumb.

Watched the episode of Picard from last week tonite and all I have to wonder is - if there is an Emergency Combat Hologram on board... why was it hiding, or trying to not get killed? So you get your arm cut off. Reboot and keep going. Wtf lol.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Agreed on the S2 retconning, just dumb and I honestly think it was the show runners realizing they, frankly, went too far in S1 or they didn’t know Trek in the first place. They tried way too hard to link Discovery to past Trek as if to give it credibility as being “real” Trek.

I did like Captain Pike and his storyline and look forward to the new showing that comes out later this week.

I will say Star Trek V did some retcon bullshit also with Spock’s half brother.

And yes the love story with Adira is gross (she’s a child!) and boring. I don’t care about their sappy kiddy love story garbage.

RE: Picard - I had the same thought…the emergency combat hologram just doesn’t make sense lol.

Also I bet the Borg queen we saw in Ep 1 of this season of Picard (the one on the stargazer that wanted to meet Picard) is Jurati.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Discovery S2 kept doing a thing where three people would be talking and in a circle and the camera would circle around them. That was really jarring and almost made me feel motion sickness.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I think they don't make them the same way as the old Trek (TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager). Rick Berman (who took over the franchise after Roddenberry) was the producer on all of those except TOS. The reboot movies, and the new TV shows, are more of a Hollywood thing now. But Picard still has a lot of the 'feel' to it, that Next Gen had.

hmmm yes, quality guy that rick berman...

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Also I bet the Borg queen we saw in Ep 1 of this season of Picard (the one on the stargazer that wanted to meet Picard) is Jurati.
she is! most of the budget went into the padding for alison pills costume btw
ironic btw, because most of what happens in that shit show is just filler and padding.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Ah well. At least she had some nice cleavage this season.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The President of the Federation is Cardassian? LOL - I had no clue what species she was. Did they run out of money for the makeup budget? ROFL

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Any shift away from sci fi to character plots in Picard just highlights how bad they are at acting. I'm including Patrick Stewart in that too. At this stage I feel like I'm visiting my Great Grandad in a home and we're all just sitting their feeling awkward that he's clearly shit his pants but everyone's too polite to say anything.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
No it fucking doesn't. Mods should change your screen name to Hellen Fucking Keller.
Yes, it does. At least, the parts of it that actually involve Patrick Stewart are better than those that don't.
It's subjective, to some extent. Also, the reviews of Picard have generally positive.

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
positive for the shills maybe
Screenshot 2022-05-03 182322.png
all those critic reviews are from early march btw

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Yeah season 2 of Picard has been garbage. And thats coming from someone who enjoyed Season 1.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Picard Season 2 suffers from really dumb writing, and unnecessary protraction and intermingling of plots. So many times I just found myself yelling at the screen to just get to the fucking point, or "holy shit that was dumb!".

If they had taken those same plots, dedicated episodes to just them and wrapped them up earlier, and smartened up the writing, it would have been much better.

I'm really tired of serialized "mystery box" JJ Abram style writing. I'd rather they do it like DS9 (and sometimes Discovery) where you have your standard "episode in a bottle" format with a overarching story that matters, instead of this constant carrot dangling of plot. One big reason I'm looking forward to Strange New Worlds where they're going to be episodic, but not "reset button" every episode so past events will matter and affect characters.