OFFICIAL N-G.com Star Trek Thread

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
The President of the Federation is Cardassian? LOL - I had no clue what species she was. Did they run out of money for the makeup budget? ROFL
Supposedly part Cardassian, part Bajoran.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
S4 Discovery has been a snooze fest so far.

I tire of the threat each season being so grand that it will destroy civilization/the federation/time itself.

Part of the whole series has just been to inflict the most unimaginable trauma on people and then have them deal with it? The endless trauma gets real old.

They introduce a new character (Book) and guess what? His planet gets fucking Alderaaned. C’mon now.

Mr. Saru still the best character. Period. Might even be on my top 10 best Trek characters.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Same. There comes a point where the stakes become so high that it just becomes ridiculous to the point of self parody.

I got to episode 5 in S4 of Discovery and I just gave up. It totally lost my interest.

The storyline was blah. Everyone's a drama queen except for Saru (who is far and away the best character on that show). Burnham delivers her lines like her asshole is clenched as hard as a rock.

Every element of the show is as subtle as a sledgehammer.

The sets and SFX all look really fake, over-designed, and monotone, with way, way, way too much blue and orange-yellow color correction applied. There's a few scenes where even the whites of people's eyes are blue if you look close enough. White light/natural light no longer exist in the 32nd century.

I'll revisit it later since I heard it ends in a very "Star Trek" manner, but meh for now.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Just started last episode of S4 discovery. So boring and honestly struggled to follow the plot.

The first contact stuff was fun but god damn this first contact story line should have been 2-4 eps max.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
What did you think of the Vulcan mind-melding with the aliens through the bulkhead after the crew spent two episodes deciphering how to communicate with them the hard way?

Also, I knew it would happen, but resurrecting Book after he died sucked. Just let him die so his death has some lasting impact. This show has no balls.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
That Mind Meld made absolutely no sense.

There is no hope for meaningful character development for Michael if she continues to believe she will always get her way - that no one will die and that all objectives can be met without sacrifice. That’s a noble objective, but not plausible.

People dying and coming back is just so fucking dumb in all fiction. What’s the point.

Also the overall plot of this season is literally the plot of Ender’s Game: the “bugs” only “attacked” Earth because they viewed Humans as non-sentient. I guess we didn’t murderkill them this time lol.

GG to Mr. Saru. The President of Ni’Var is banging. Frankly I thought their little storyline was tastefully done.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
In the last episode they reference a ship called the “Nog.” LOL.

I did like Nog on DS9. Jake was meh.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Little tribute to both the character and Aaron Eisenberg who passed away a few years ago.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Man, I still can't get behind DS9 tho.

Ive tried a few times but it just.. bleh. Voyager was trash too. But DS9 just can't seem to hold my interest. I'd rather just rewatch Babylon 5 for the n'th time.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I had to make myself watch it. It’s better than Voyager.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I'd rather just rewatch Babylon 5 for the n'th time.
There's a show I can't get behind at all. I've only seen 2 random episodes of Babylon 5, but they were so dumb as not to be believed. One was like a fake episode of Law & Order in space. I felt embarrassed for everyone involved. And this might have even been before I developed my intense dislike of JMS' writing. There's no way I could watch it now.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Babylon 5 is a pain in the ass to watch these days. They lost the original masters so what we get are a bunch of stretched and cropped bullshit and they also aired like 40 of the episodes out of order.

DS9 doesn't get good until the Dominion War, and even then, it's still a big step down from TNG or TOS.

Voyager and Enterprise are horrible.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Man, I still can't get behind DS9 tho.

Ive tried a few times but it just.. bleh. Voyager was trash too. But DS9 just can't seem to hold my interest. I'd rather just rewatch Babylon 5 for the n'th time.
DS9 gets real good from season 3 onwards. 5-7 are some of the best seasons of Trek ever.

It starts like a milquetoast TNG for seasons 1-2, so you either have to plow through them or skip them altogether to get to the good stuff.

Voyager....is what it is.

Picard season 2 ended really nicely, even if it was a bumpy road to get there. The final scene between Q and Picard was a heart-string tugger.

First episode of Strange New Worlds was fantastic, and really does feel like the true modern version of Trek we expected, but didn't get. I think it's going to make a good number of the naysayers of nu-Trek happy.

Last edited:

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I like DS9, but mainly for all the Ferengi silliness. Like I said before, I'd love a Star Trek series focused on them--not space exploration or anything, just them trying to make mo' money and acting like fools.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yes, last episode of season 2 of Picard was nice at the end.

At this point I’m considering discovery’s future to be an alternate timeline.

I have a lot of questions about Juratti’s Borg but whatever. I’ll just take it at face value that Borg and federation are United.

Only thing I don’t understand is Earth’s past. They keep retconning the timeline.

They hint to the eugenic wars with the Khan program and the upcoming WW3 but in previous Trek those things should have passed by the time of 2024. I think discovery says WW3 is in 2050s?

I’m fact I think Khan launched in to space in 2024.

Whatever.

The travelers making an appearance was a huge surprise. I was just thinking the other day it’s be neat to see Wesley again.

Fygee

20 Year Member
WW3 has always taken place during the 2050s if I remember right. First Contact happened in 2063 when Earth was still a total mess after it.

Eugenics Wars took place in the 1990s originally, but 90s Trek soft retconned it by just casually ignoring it back when Voyager time traveled to the 90s. Wibbly wobbly timey wimey.

Seeing Wesley was a really nice surprise, even if it felt really shoehorned. Would have been nice if they had given a little backstory to it to explain why Kore was chosen. Maybe they'll touch on it in season 3.

Soong really should have changed his password or kept an off-site backup.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Well Strange New Worlds answered a lot of my questions lol.

It’s already better than discovery.

I hope we get to see the Gorn, though I thought in the TOS era the federation were allied with them. Whatever.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Hey nerds in Strange New Worlds ep1, what movie was captain pike watching at the beginning?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I'd like to give Strange New Worlds a try. In the unlikely event that they somehow got Star Trek right for once, I'd like to support it to show there's still interest in real Star Trek. Not sure how to watch it from here, though. Paramount+ is not a thing in Japan (thankfully).

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I'd like to give Strange New Worlds a try. In the unlikely event that they somehow got Star Trek right for once, I'd like to support it to show there's still interest in real Star Trek.
This 100%. Let's vote with our viewing figures.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
It's fucking dead, Jim.

I wish I could unsee all this garbage.