Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Dr Strange and the Multiverse of Madness.

Not what I was expecting but still standard enjoyable Marvel fair. Some surprising fan service towards the middle.

Ultimately the movie (appears) to serve only to introduce some elements to further whatever multiverse badguy story they’re developing, which is a bit disappointing though it appears Dr. Strange will continue to play a bigger role in overarching story.

Don’t skip the after credits scene though, it’s the best marvel has ever made.

If you’re tired of Marvel fair and Superhero shit this is entirely skippable and does nothing we haven’t seen before.
Does it feel like it was directed by Sam Raimi though?

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Curse of Frankenstein- Released in 1957 starring Peter Cushing as Baron Frankenstein and Christopher Lee as the monster. This seems to be about the time when Hammer started to solidify their formula which they perfected by the the early 60s. It's different enough from the original Universal Frankenstein and a little more morbid than that but it's still fairly tame compared to some of their later movies. The performances and the production values are solid, although some of the sets are a bit cheap looking. I felt Christopher Lee was somewhat wasted as the monster as there's not really much for him to do and the prosthetics don't allow for much emoting. Still though it's good stuff.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
I watched "Venom : Let there be Carnage" last night.
It was kinda dumb.
Black Widow was also dumb, but that was expected.
The new Spider-Man & Batman movies were better than expected.
I actually didn't hate the new Dune movie, that was a surprise.
Almost looking forward to the next one... Almost.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Watched The Northman this evening in an empty theater. Enjoyed it for the most part. A pretty straightforward (especially for Eggers) revenge story told with a pinch of mysticism and some great cinematography. Like a natural midpoint between Hamlet, 300 (some of the more ridiculous imagery and the general firebreathing masculinity) and an A24 movie.

100proof

10 Year Member
Black Sunday on the Last Drive-In last night. Never been big on Italian horror but can appreciate that they often innovate and were big influences for other movies and directors that I dig down the road. No different here. You can absolutely see the influence of classic gothic horror (Universal monsters, 50s drive-in theater stuff) on Bava and this movie but he puts his own interesting spin on it (a little more risque, slightly more gruesome, some interesting camera trickery, etc.) which absolutely led to the evolution of the genre. Totally worth watching as a historical piece but, for me, it's kind of boring and the way Italian movies do dialogue and dubbing is excruciating.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
My first thought reading Black Sunday was the 70s Bruce Dern film.

100proof

10 Year Member
Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Marvel Mediocrity - Went to this one solely for Sam Raimi and got about 10 minutes of fun Sam stuff (snap zooms, subtle and unsubtle Evil Dead/Darkman nods, the Classic, Bruce Campbell punching himself in the face) but the rest was just shit. The Marvel movies have been boring and repetitive for a while now (to the point that I'm not allowed to complain anymore... fool me 30 times, shame on me) but they're rarely this poorly written. I could nerd out over every dumbfuck character decision or embarrassing plot contrivance ("I can't control my power and haven't shown the faintest hint of being able to"... "I think you can because it's the end of the movie and the plot calls for it"... "Oh I totally can now!" or "I'll never tell you how to get the maguffin you need that will destroy the multiverse!"... "What if I kill these four people the audience has never met and doesn't give a shit about?"... "Okay sure, fine") and there are SOOOO many of them but frankly, I just couldn't be fucked. The Marvel movies have become Transformers movies with higher caliber actors: 2+ hours of loud noises, increasingly terrible jokes and nostalgia references to distract booger-eaters.

The only solace I take from this is that maybe it will get Sam interested in directing again and we'll get something weird and interesting out of him. Seriously though, fuck this movie. Don't watch it.

Reactions: wyo

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
I thought the new batman was pretty horrible. It took everything I had to stay awake. And the new Doctor Strange was an all over the place horror movie. I just didnt feel either of them.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
MK: Legacy
Not a true movie, just a collection of 9 live action web shorts to promote MK9 from 2011. The quality varies, but, they're generally a'ight if you're into MK. The Raiden (he's a patient in a mental hospital--wild take on the character!), Johnny Cage, and Scorpion/Sub-Zero ones are the best in my opinion, the Mileena/Kitana ones the worst (too much 2D animation and all that Outworld bullshit is fine in the games but super cheesy when done in live action--see MK: Annihilation). The Ed Boon cameo delighted me too. There are 5 bonus making-of featurettes which aren't bad either, the fight choreography being the most interesting to me. I'm surprised that they managed to rope Michael Jai White (Jax) and Geri Ryan (Sonya) into doing this. I don't really like Kabal, but, I was still disappointed when what looked like his helmet was in a pile of junk, at the Black Dragon's factory lair, and then it, and he, were never introduced.

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
The new Batman movie is trash. The only good thing about it surprisingly is the Riddler. They could have done a whole movie on just that character. It was a long drawn out piece of trash and I honestly expected nothing less.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
So I used the random play feature on Netflix for the first and last time yesterday.

It chose Senior Year which it turns out is a new Netflix original movie that is getting savage reviews. So it essentially used me to boost the viewership on some new failure that they were betting the moon on. That doesn't surprise me, what did surprise me was just how unbelievably awful the movie was.

It looked like a typical teen girl movie a la Mean Girls but it wasn't. It was one of the cheapest, stupidest and soulless pieces of shit ever made. It was essentially an Adam Sandler movie marketed to teen girls. It had all the hallmarks: general mean spiritedness, excessive blatant product placement, random celebrity cameos, low tier physical humor, out of place raunchy sex "jokes" and that sort of fake "heart" that Sandler tries to cram into all of his turds to counterbalance the fact that everyone is so unbelievably selfish and horrible.

It was so bad that even having it on in the background was too much and I had to mute it.

Also Rebel Wilson is not funny PERIOD. She's also not somehow sexy now that she's lot a ton of weight. She looks creepy like most people that aren't supposed to be skinny but loose a bunch of weight. But we're all supposed to applaud her for her bravery and boldness...

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The new Batman movie is trash. The only good thing about it surprisingly is the Riddler. They could have done a whole movie on just that character. It was a long drawn out piece of trash and I honestly expected nothing less.

interestingly, i found the riddler to be in the bottom group. Couldn't stand him.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Sleepaway Camp- Much better than I remember, I totally didn't pick up on the ridiculousness that often boarders on humor at times. The famous shock ending aside it's actually a solid summer camp slasher and it's also extremely self aware and almost mocks the genre. It's nothing brilliant but it was a nice surprise to revisit it and enjoy it on a different level.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I remember being blown away by how awesome, in general Sleepaway Camp was, even going up against my inflated expectations. Going to have to re-watch it and the sequel both soon. THAT SAID, I also watched (and in some cases re-watched):

The Rental - good lord, I do still adore this. Dave Franco is really, really good in his first time out directing, and Dan Stevens, bless his heart, is still my favorite Brit-doing-an-American-accent-in-every-role ever. JK aside, it's excellent as far as the genre goes. I started my re-watch and thought hmm, I think this gets nasty around the halfway point, and yeesh, does it ever. Excellent sense of tension and foreboding, it gets under your skin and then just goes FUCK me. Highest recommendation.

Chappie - one or my favorite bad movies. It's trashy, I know that. Patel, Jackman and Weaver especially, they're slumming and then some, but fuck me, it's a fun movie and Blomkamp and Copley both put so much heart into it that it's just insanely hard not to get back into it. Ninja and Yolandi are obviously playing themselves as themselves, but it works. Incredibly dumb but also still really fun to watch.

Choose or Die - so.... British movie with Brit actors doing uniformly American accents for some reason. Sorry, weird aside, just, like guys. Eddie Marsan, who is a national treasure, should be allowed to play a British character from time to time. Anyway, dumb-ish movie in the Would You Rather vein (which I keep meaning to re-watch if only to see Sasha Grey do sort-of drama), but just barely...? It works, oddly. Can't really put my finger on why, but I liked it and would generally recommend it, especially if you like the genre, which is obviously a sign of high culture and not mental illness.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Disaster Artist. Not bad. Like Ed Wood but without 95% of the charm.

The Interpreter. With Nicole Kidman and Sean Penn. I'd never seen it, which is something I wish I could still say.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Deadly Manor- Early 90s giallo-slasher hybrid about a bunch of young people going to a cabin for the weekend. They don't make it to the cabin and end up at said Deadly Manor where despite jars of human scalps, coffins in the basement and a bunch of other weird shit they decide to spend the night... Lots of nudity some shoddy practical effects and general "Italian logic" make for a weird one. A bit slow to start but once it picks up pace it's pretty entertaining.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
The Witches (1967)
Boring and not good. Very strange "Italian logic."

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I remember watching Demons where the main character rides around a movie theater on a motorcycle with a samurai sword decapitating demons. Both of which were being used in a lobby display instead of the usual cardboard standees. A motorcycle with a full tank of gas with the keys in it and a sharpened samurai sword. I yelled "well that's some Italian logic right there" at the screen.

Turns out the director of Deadly Manor was Spanish but it's still an apt term that applies to a majority of euro schlock from the 60s through the early 90s.

Reactions: wyo

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Disaster Artist. Not bad. Like Ed Wood but without 95% of the charm.
SOMEbody didn't read Sestero's book the flick is based on.

Strange 2: Multitude of Cameos - Not as bad as the critics are saying. It's not top tier MCU material like Civil War, Strange 1 or something like No Way Home, but it's also not Eternals level schlock.

I thought the cameos were cool, if a little too short. Coulda had a great Civil War level big fight for the last act but they opted to get it overwith in a couple of minutes. Not sure who said it didn't feel like a Raimi flick, but honestly the only thing that was missing to me (unless I missed him) was his brother. He didn't pop into frame anywhere. But you have your standard car and Campbell cameos, plenty of pseudo/goofy horror, and plenty of "evil POV" shots. Definitely a Raimi flick.

Spoiler:
I thought John Krasinski as Reed Richards was kinda cool, just not sure why they gave him the Krasinski beard. Other than that, his suit was pretty decent, and I can see him as Reed. I hope they keep him for the upcoming FF movie, and if they got Emily "My second wife" Blunt as Sue Storm that would be pretty rad.

The one I didn't expect - to the level it was delivered, anyway - was Professor X. I knew PatStew was gonna be in it 100%, but I didn't realize they were going to be featuring the 90s X-Men version of the character, complete with a little nod to the cartoon's guitar riff when introducing him.

I suppose this is the MCU take on Wanda losing her mind and starting the whole House of M thing. She didnt have a mental break, she just shit her pants that her kids didn't exist anymore. It was decent. It did move at an odd pace here and there. The beginning was kinda slow, ramped up a teeny bit and then BOOM THE ACTION and credits.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
SOMEbody didn't read Sestero's book the flick is based on.

Strange 2: Multitude of Cameos - Not as bad as the critics are saying. It's not top tier MCU material like Civil War, Strange 1 or something like No Way Home, but it's also not Eternals level schlock.

I thought the cameos were cool, if a little too short. Coulda had a great Civil War level big fight for the last act but they opted to get it overwith in a couple of minutes. Not sure who said it didn't feel like a Raimi flick, but honestly the only thing that was missing to me (unless I missed him) was his brother. He didn't pop into frame anywhere. But you have your standard car and Campbell cameos, plenty of pseudo/goofy horror, and plenty of "evil POV" shots. Definitely a Raimi flick.

Spoiler:
I thought John Krasinski as Reed Richards was kinda cool, just not sure why they gave him the Krasinski beard. Other than that, his suit was pretty decent, and I can see him as Reed. I hope they keep him for the upcoming FF movie, and if they got Emily "My second wife" Blunt as Sue Storm that would be pretty rad.

The one I didn't expect - to the level it was delivered, anyway - was Professor X. I knew PatStew was gonna be in it 100%, but I didn't realize they were going to be featuring the 90s X-Men version of the character, complete with a little nod to the cartoon's guitar riff when introducing him.

I suppose this is the MCU take on Wanda losing her mind and starting the whole House of M thing. She didnt have a mental break, she just shit her pants that her kids didn't exist anymore. It was decent. It did move at an odd pace here and there. The beginning was kinda slow, ramped up a teeny bit and then BOOM THE ACTION and credits.

My problem with the film is that ultimately it only served to introduce the America Chavez character that will most likely serve as some macguffin to help defeat the big bad at the conclusion of the current multiverse arc.

I did think having needed to see Wandavision to really understand the plot was an interesting choice. Sure you could understand from the film without but having seen Wandavision really drives home Wanda’s absolute despair.

Thinking on it, this film really felt a little different. It’s the only Marvel film without a happy ending (Infinity War excluded) and Wanda’s story is really a tragedy.

Spoiler:
The Patrick Stewart cameo, with the X-men cartoon music absolutely blew me away. Did not see that coming in the least.