Weekly Roundup

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
U.N. Squadron - arcade. This game has always been a cult favorite. It was OK. Guess I'd have to like Area 88 to really enjoy it. I don't understand why they did some halfass autofire for like 3 seconds instead of the whole time.

Guerrilla War - arcade. One of SNK's greats pre-Neo. I remember loving the NES version but this wasn't as fun. Apparently, like Contra, many people also prefer the NES game. I wonder what they were thinking with the entire premise of this game.
Re: U.N. Sqaudron-if your tap your shot hand like a metronome, you get almost full auto. If the game had full blown auto fire, it would be beaten too easily, and not rake in enough quarters.
I love Area 88, this game, and the Super Nintendo port.

Re: Guerrilla War- this, Contra, and Bionic Commando all float my boat better on NES, than arcade.

What are you using for a rawmm boxx, ‘stage?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Pirates - 1994 arcade game by a dev called Nix. It's a 90s game about pirates, must be bad, right? Nope. It's actually pretty cool. A game like Cabal, Wild Guns, Nam-1975. I like how much damage you can do to the background, it really makes a difference in how fun it is.
Spoiler:

Escape Kids - 90s Konami arcade game, never heard of it before. It's a Super Off Road clone, except you're a kid and not a truck. I can see it being fun if you and a couple of friends play. Interestingly, if you put in more credits, then you can upgrade your stats. Konami was way ahead of the curve there in terms of having gamers pay money to upgrade their character. Also interestingly the game doesn't appear to have an ending, just loops like Pac-Man era games.
Spoiler:

Atomic Runner - Genesis version. I have a deep affection for this game. I've always been a Data East fan ever since I was a kid. This game was too beautiful and strange for this world. Check out 6:54, such a small touch and unnecessary even to show this stage progression but it really shows a kind of love that went into making this game.
Spoiler:

Where's Wally? - early 90s Sega arcade game based on Where's Waldo. I guess it only came out in Japan. You know what, it's not horrible. And halfway through I realized something like this would have made a fun iPad game or something.
Spoiler:

@wataru330 I got some Chinese thing that has a couple thousand games on it. Been trying tons of games these past few months.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I almost never tell people which version to get, but I'd highly recommend exchanging that Switch version of Bloodstained for the PS4 version. Fantastic game, but mine crashed on me about 6 or 7 times during my playthrough, and the frame rate isn't anywhere near as steady as the PS4.
Finally got a switch lite.
Been playing,
Bayonetta 2
Bomberman 64
MiiTopia
And Brawlhalla

Already ordered Bloodstained, Puyo Puyo Tetris, & Doki Doki Literature Club.

Also ordered
PS4 - Nier Automata
Xbox One - DooM Slayers collection

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
I almost never tell people which version to get, but I'd highly recommend exchanging that Switch version of Bloodstained for the PS4 version. Fantastic game, but mine crashed on me about 6 or 7 times during my playthrough, and the frame rate isn't anywhere near as steady as the PS4.
I might end up with both depending on how into it I get to be honest.
The Xbox version is really cheap I've noticed.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
PS Vita
Ys Memories of Celceta - beat this early last week, fun but mindless. Story is standard anime stuff, nothing special but nothing offensive.

PS3
God of War HD - let's see how dated this is. Combat still felt satisfying, even if the enemies felt spongy and took a bit too much damage to go down. The Hydra battle is still a fantastic spectacle.

Metal Gear Solid - playing the PS1 disc on the PS3. I forget how short the game is and how little actual gameplay there is. Still tons of fun to run through again.

PS2
Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks - co-op playthrough with the wife. She's loving the combat, not so much the puzzles and platforming and i agree. Still a lot of fun to run through co-op, i just wish experience was shared instead of individually earned, as i tend to be more aggressive with enemies and therefore i get the most experience.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Switch
Witcher 3 - I played a dozen hours of it on PS4 years back and just wasn’t ready for the scale of a epic 80 to 120 hour commitment that a grand western RPG like this commands to do with all the dlc. But I watched series 2 of the Witcher on Netflix and decided what the hell lets give this another go. It’s on sale on Switch right now and I like being able to play it around the house on the small screen. I must say this is a simply amazing port, it doesn’t feel like the Switch should handle a game like this so smoothly. A few dodgy textures aside and very occasional slow down when the going gets heavy, but this is a great way to play this game.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
5/1/22
Switch
NES Gradius
Double Dragon Neon
Double Dragon 2

Famicom
Parodius Da!
Metro Cross
Road Fighter
Bio Miracle Bokutte

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
PS5
Gran Turismo 7 - I keep checking back on what the new cars are, got a Suzuki Cappuccino.
Elden Ring - Started up a few weeks ago, definitely fun just exploring. Got used to sneaking around as opposed to running around openly and proceeding to get annihilated immediately. Constantly getting runes to level up my character (samurai).

Switch
Hatsune Miku Project Diva Megamix - Tried some new to me songs, want to try to complete every song on normal. I recently bought the expansion pack.
Fortnite - Worth playing just for the Wu-Tang emote alone.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
MVS
Last blade 2 - I forgot how to do super specials but this game is always gonna be fun
Ninja Masters - This one wasnt as fun as it used to be to me.

PS4
Melty Blood : Type Lumina - If anyone has this on psn lets play.

Switch
Astral Chain - catching up on backlog

HellioN

20 Year Member
Switch
Astral Chain - catching up on backlog
I want to try that one but its stupid expensive.
I did order Andro Dunos 2 and pre order Pockey and Rocky Reshrined.

As far as playing its been Doki Doki Literature Club on switch...
Its really fukked up.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
NDS
- Luxor: Pharaoh's Challenge. I scored a complete copy of this at my thrift store for a buck! I could've sworn I already owned it, because I know I've played it, or something very similar before, but, looking through my database of games on my phone at the shop, I did not, so, I bought it. The only thing I can figure is that I must have a copycat version in one of my many other DS mini game collection carts. Anyway, simple but very addictive game; I much prefer using the pad/buttons to the stylus and I'm glad it supports both methods. The previous owner's profile, Sarah, didn't even have 1% progress! 🤣

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
PS3
God of War - fun game, mindless brutality was fun but the bullshit platforming of the Path of Hades almost made me quit.

Raiden Fighters Jet - having fun with this one

DS
Pokemon SoulSilver - quick playthrough, beat the first gym

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Wonderlands

I've got a few guys with various powers and I'm still checking things out. One of them has done 95% of the missions. I will say the first add-on is disappointing, not much to it.

Dreamcast

I'm putting a MODE in it, fan, etc. Just waiting on everything to get here. I'm going the sd route and will slowly download games.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Switch

I finally started Mario 3D World and it’s way more fun than I expected. I’m in World 7 already with 100% stars and stamps.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
I've been playing the original Shining Force on Genesis this week. I'm in chapter 4 right now. It's one of those games that I really like, and have played a lot of over the years off and on, but I've never stuck it out to completion. RPGs always wear me out at some point. I'm really more of a shmup enthusiast who dabbles in other genres here and there. But I feel motivated this time, and I've really been enjoying it so far, so I plan on finishing it up this time.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Arcade:
Three Wonders - first time playing this. The Capcom 3-in-1 arcade game. Surprisingly it isn't bad, but it's also not very good. Definitely right in the middle. The boss designs are the highlight. Too bad the characters themselves are butt ugly.

E-SWAT - doesn't compare at all to the vastly superior Genesis game, but still worth a shot. I wondered why the stages went by so quick until I realized, unlike Shinobi, it isn't a 1-hit kill game. Apparently no continues allowed in the last level SO FUCK IT.

Wonderboy III Monster Lair - this was my first time playing the game. I think @Takumaji liked this game? Someone here did. Anyway it was surprisingly good, music helped out a lot with the repetition because this game goes on a long time. Apparently no continues allowed in the last level SO FUCK IT.

Toki - I want to like this more than I should, but man, the sound effects and music on this one are horrible. Literally the same song in every level, which was really low quality even back in 1989. If I remember correctly, I liked the home ports more. And, again, for the third time in a row...well, this time 5 continues were allowed in the last level but that wasn't enough for me SO FUCK IT.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Yeah, I love Monster Lair, it's the only later WB game that comes close to the original fast platformer style.

Just like the first game, Monster Lair is all about memorization, speed and getting as much fruit and other stuff (including weapons) as possible to keep your energy bar in the green and get extra men for score, so keep moving.

It's also important to know when to speed up by running on the rightmost side and to slow down to kill the baddies. If you know the level layout, you can take quick detours upwards or downwards to avoid enemies and obstacles like boulders.

The hori shmup part can be a bit tedious because not all weapons have a decent fire rate so you have to hammer on the buttons a lot (or cheat by using an auto-fire pad/stick). Here, you gotta figure out how to efficiently get rid of the bosses, there also is a small bit of luck involved what weapon powerups you'll get, some are more effective than others.

Anyway, yeah, it's a very challenging game, that's for sure, but a good one.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
If I ever make a game I am going to limit the number of continues you get in the first level, but give unlimited continues in the last level.

But you know what guys?

I’m never going to make a game.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
PC
Finishing up the "campaign" material for Rainbow Six Extraction and World War Z Aftermath with friends.
Disgaea 2 (Every couple of years, I do a couple of run-throughs of a Disgaea game... they're simple, low-key SRPGs and full of dumb meta humor)
Vampire Survivors (they keep adding new shit)

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Are they the original PCE CD versions, Genesis/SNES ports, or both? Hopefully, they stuck Syd of Valis (MD SD Valis 2) on there too?

HellioN

20 Year Member
So far I'm really liking the Switch.
Bloodstained -what's up with these load times?
I also picked it up for the Xbox but haven't tried it yet.
Liking it so far.

I also kinda started DC Universe Online just to check it out.
We'll see how that goes.
I basically created Dr. Doom.

Pinball FX3
Its free and its ok if I'm just wanting to waste a few minutes.

I picked up KoF XV but haven't even cut the cellophane off yet.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Are they the original PCE CD versions, Genesis/SNES ports, or both? Hopefully, they stuck Syd of Valis (MD SD Valis 2) on there too?
The first (currently available on eShop, and physical) Valis Collection is Fantasm Soldier (remake of Valis I), Valis II, and Valis III-all PC•E versions.

I read somewhere that the next Collection, will be Valis IV, Syd of Valis, and ‘others’…
(Hopefully not Valis X; that jawn was an embarrassment).

Tl;dr

Currently available = PC•E classics
In the future=the other revs

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
I want to try that one but its stupid expensive.
I did order Andro Dunos 2 and pre order Pockey and Rocky Reshrined.

As far as playing its been Doki Doki Literature Club on switch...
Its really fukked up.
I recommend the game its pretty fun. I also ordered Pocky and Rocky Reshrined not sure when its gonna be shipped.

PS5
Returnal : It's a cool concept but the game got boring to me after a few hours
Resident Evil 8: Beat it third time this weekend. Trying to platinum this game.