Picard

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Season 2 is bad. I don’t even remember that Picard got turned into a droid. Must have fallen asleep.
The first two or three episodes of Season 2 had a lot of bickering and posturing between the characters. The quality of the show picked up after episode 3, but it was still uneven, from one part of an episode to the next. The scenes involving Picard himself, or set at the vineyard, were better than the rest. I liked how Seven of Nine was returned to her half-Borg self.

Last edited:

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I like how they went "guys, let's be careful not to contaminate the timeline" and then proceed to contaminate the timeline with their actions. Masterful writing, as expected from the guy who wrote "The Amazing Spider-Man 2".
And not just a bit, eventually, but completely, instantly. The watchers etc have been on earth for millennia, silently blending in. These fucking halfwits couldn't even complete the first beam in without being caught out. Absurd.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
There were some great moments in season 2, especially any involving Q and Picard being a sage advisor to others, but overall the writing was really poor when it comes to plot holes, interweaving plot threads, and character stupidity. Ramblings...

When Seven got re-borged, I howled at her getting the exact same implants in the exact same places to fix a stomach injury. That was beyond stupid, and really pointless since she was going to be re-borged once they fixed the timeline anyways.

Seven and Raffi spent the entire time in the 21st century bickering and being generally annoying.

The FBI guy was a totally pointless, wasted character considering the actor who played him was Ducane in Voyager, a literal Federation time cop.

Tallin's ability to control people remotely without them knowing gets totally ignored after Picard finds her, which would have been useful as hell in several situations.

Tallin looks exactly like Laris and is also Romulan because reasons. Kore looks exactly like Soji because reasons. Spiner is fine, that's established tradition for him to be every Soong ever.

Rios and Jurati were great, as was the Borg Queen, doc Teresa, and the new actress they got to play Young Guinan.

Special Ops borg were ridiculous. They're borg, therefore they absolutely must have green lasers to give away their location and targets at all times.

Butterflies are super important except when they're not and casually ignored. Escaped deported immigrants. Borg special ops all dying. The guy Borg Queen Jurati killed after fucking up the bar. Rios staying behind (they could have at least asked Q if that wouldn't screw everything up), etc.

Picard's story with his childhood and his mom were good plot ideas, but handled really poorly by stretching them out and over-complicating it way too much. If they had kept it to two dedicated episodes, start to finish, it would have been perfect. Also, where the hell was his asshole brother when all this stuff went down? Lost story opportunity there that would have played into his long time resentment for Jean Luc.

How the hell did doc Teresa know how to use a 24th century medical device to help Picard? That's like giving a laptop to one of the pilgrims and saying "you got this".

Q's final moments really got me in the feels.

Wesley shows up and recruits Kore to join the Travelers because reasons.

Lots of ups and downs.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
The first two or three episodes of Season 2 had a lot of bickering and posturing between the characters. The quality of the show picked up after episode 3, but it was still uneven, from one part of an episode to the next. The scenes involving Picard himself, or set at the vineyard, were better than the rest. I liked how Seven of Nine was returned to her half-Borg self.
I didn’t survive episode 2 🤷‍♂️

StevenK

10 Year Member
Why did Picard grow up in the 1890s?

Fygee

20 Year Member
Apparently British-French people read a lot of Charles Dickens in the early 24th century, while also refusing basic mental healthcare.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Nevermind that mental illness already wasn't a problem anymore back when Kirk went into space.

This absolute shit writing. They just just place these last five years of Nu Trek into its own seperate timeline, that way the proper fans don't have to acknowledge that this garbage is canon and the SJW ninnies/people who don't even like the franchise can have their cake and eat it too.

I hope none of those mercs they killed had any important children in the future. :^)

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Why did Picard grow up in the 1890s?
Are you referring to the episode where they find Data's head in a mine and they go back in time because aliens are eating souls?

It was a two parter. I want to say it was Time's Arrow? They meet Mark Twain and Guinan as well.

You know, when they met before? Before they first met in season 2? Lol damn this show is a mess.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Are you referring to the episode where they find Data's head in a mine and they go back in time because aliens are eating souls?

It was a two parter. I want to say it was Time's Arrow? They meet Mark Twain and Guinan as well.

You know, when they met before? Before they first met in season 2? Lol damn this show is a mess.

He means the Picard’s Chateau and the seeming lack of technology in the house.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Season 1 was ok, but allow me to go the fuck off on this pile of shit they call season 2.

Trumps been gone for a year now, can these blue haired homos in the writing room stop crying about how bad America is?

You got rid of the orange daughter fucker and replaced him with the demented daughter fucker so everything should be ok now!

The noble spic arc:
All border agents are universally white hillbilly peckerwoods and all the mexicans coming in are roguishly handsome hard working salt of the earth types just looking for a better life.

LMAO.

As a Canadian my first exposure to mexican migrants was riding a big rig down to Kentucky. Mexicans were all over this truck stop and here's what I saw: they were hanging around huffing gas and drinking themselves blind, one jumped up on the truck and slurred out something about money....his eyes were rolled back and drool/prevomit was dripping off his chin.

The mexicans I saw are fat, lazy, substance abusing retards, so in other words, the perfect Americans....but fuck this show for trying to convince me otherwise.

BLM guynan was fucking terrible too.
Here's a hot take: fuck George Floyd....Im glad he's dead but I hope they time travel in season 3 to save his life because he turns out to be an ancestor of Geordie LaForge.

That's pretty much it.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Season 1 was ok, but allow me to go the fuck off on this pile of shit they call season 2.

Trumps been gone for a year now, can these blue haired homos in the writing room stop crying about how bad America is?

You got rid of the orange daughter fucker and replaced him with the demented daughter fucker so everything should be ok now!

The noble spic arc:
All border agents are universally white hillbilly peckerwoods and all the mexicans coming in are roguishly handsome hard working salt of the earth types just looking for a better life.

LMAO.

As a Canadian my first exposure to mexican migrants was riding a big rig down to Kentucky. Mexicans were all over this truck stop and here's what I saw: they were hanging around huffing gas and drinking themselves blind, one jumped up on the truck and slurred out something about money....his eyes were rolled back and drool/prevomit was dripping off his chin.

The mexicans I saw are fat, lazy, substance abusing retards, so in other words, the perfect Americans....but fuck this show for trying to convince me otherwise.

BLM guynan was fucking terrible too.
Here's a hot take: fuck George Floyd....Im glad he's dead but I hope they time travel in season 3 to save his life because he turns out to be an ancestor of Geordie LaForge.

That's pretty much it.
Wow dude....

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Wow dude....
Sometimes I say things that only amuse myself at the expense of everyone else.

But am I even wrong here?
Am I the only one who is noticing this infantile campus activism getting shoehorned into all these IPs here?

Sure, the original star trek was progressive for the time, but by the time TNG came out, trek kinda left our modern social issues in the distant past where it all belonged.

But in these modern adaptations?
Bipartisan hack bullshit.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

Am I the only one who is noticing this infantile campus activism getting shoehorned into all these IPs here?

Sure, the original star trek was progressive for the time, but by the time TNG came out, trek kinda left our modern social issues in the distant past where it all belonged.

I’ve been wondering about this lately.

How was Star Trek received in the 1960s?

Was it “woke” back then?

My presumption is Star Trek’s message was a bit more subversive - presented in a fashion that you didn’t really, necessarily, recognize it was doing. It normalized diversity, for example, by just presenting it as normal. By saying “this is how things are” with no further discussion.

I’d argue Voyager and DS9 do this to, to an extent (Black Captain, Woman Captain, etc.) but with Discovery it’s uh a bit more on the nose.

I could be wrong, I don’t know how contemporary audiences felt about Trek.

Picard and Discovery suffer also from a lot of bad writing.

Specifically with Picard the Pre-Warp timeline is all fucked up. Either that or the Eugenics Wars left America mostly unscathed until WW3 (that might make sense actually.)

Edit: The only issue with the Rios and ICE thing is they only mention once he was going to a “sanctuary” zone and it was my understanding they did the same shit to the homeless as well, but idk I need to watch that DS9 Ep again.

Last edited:

Fygee

20 Year Member

Not true at all. TNG, DS9, somewhat Voyager, and Enterprise had plenty of episodes that tackled modern social issues, they just did so with metaphors and aliens standing in for us. It's a way of getting around being on the nose and turning off audiences that may not align politically.

Picard S2 just said fuck that and directly addressed today's issues, but unfortunately it was done in a way that wasn't at all effective.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I’ve been wondering about this lately.

How was Star Trek received in the 1960s?

Was it “woke” back then?

My presumption is Star Trek’s message was a bit more subversive - presented in a fashion that you didn’t really, necessarily, recognize it was doing. It normalized diversity, for example, by just presenting it as normal. By saying “this is how things are” with no further discussion.

I’d argue Voyager and DS9 do this to, to an extent (Black Captain, Woman Captain, etc.) but with Discovery it’s uh a bit more on the nose.

I could be wrong, I don’t know how contemporary audiences felt about Trek.

Picard and Discovery suffer also from a lot of bad writing.

Specifically with Picard the Pre-Warp timeline is all fucked up. Either that or the Eugenics Wars left America mostly unscathed until WW3 (that might make sense actually.)

Edit: The only issue with the Rios and ICE thing is they only mention once he was going to a “sanctuary” zone and it was my understanding they did the same shit to the homeless as well, but idk I need to watch that DS9 Ep again.
I think Hollywood likes to suck its own cock for being ahead of the curve but they were riding a tide of social upheaval that was already going on in the 60s.

To it's credit, old trek presented diversity as a natural consequence of being set in the future....

In these new ones (and many other shows) they are just checking off boxes.

Hollywood has always been a bunch of disingenuous fucks and I'm fucking done with them.

Crying about sexism while being the last place in North America to get away with "casting couches",

crying about racism after giving us decades of magical negro films

Crying for the mexicans fleeing Mexico while packing their noses with mexican blow that ensures Mexico will never know peace or prosperity

I think they fired all the talented Jewish writers for being white men and replaced them all with fat dykes....is it too late to get them back?

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Not true at all. TNG, DS9, somewhat Voyager, and Enterprise had plenty of episodes that tackled modern social issues, they just did so with metaphors and aliens standing in for us. It's a way of getting around being on the nose and turning off audiences that may not align politically.

Picard S2 just said fuck that and directly addressed today's issues, but unfortunately it was done in a way that wasn't at all effective.
Those were usually relegated to special episodes, like Picard time travelling to visit mark twain or something. They presented the lesson, got back to the enterprise and went on with their lives hahah.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Well, the older shows tended to use metaphor or establish parallels between the conflict in the story and contemporary issues. They didn't tend to look directly at contemporary issues, say "yikes," and call it a day.

StevenK

10 Year Member
I think I dislike that they are telling us what today's issues are.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Well, the older shows tended to use metaphor or establish parallels between the conflict in the story and contemporary issues. They didn't tend to look directly at contemporary issues, say "yikes," and call it a day.
Even Voyage Home didn't do that, except for very on the nose environmentalism. Star Trek works best when it's broad and provides grand concepts and solutions, rather than very specific about an issue occurring today.
Those were usually relegated to special episodes, like Picard time travelling to visit mark twain or something. They presented the lesson, got back to the enterprise and went on with their lives hahah.
If you're up for bingeing it and rewatching most of TNG, you'll find that there's a lot more than you remember. Geopolitics with Romulans and Klingons, gender issues with Riker falling in love with a gender neutral character that was becoming female and brainwashed back to being who she was before, the deaf diplomant, etc. Small sample just off the top of my head.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member

Those were usually relegated to special episodes, like Picard time travelling to visit mark twain or something. They presented the lesson, got back to the enterprise and then got on with their lives hahah.
Even Voyage Home didn't do that, except for very on the nose environmentalism. Star Trek works best when it's broad and provides grand concepts and solutions, rather than very specific about an issue occurring today.

If you're up for bingeing it and rewatching most of TNG, you'll find that there's a lot more than you remember. Geopolitics with Romulans and Klingons, gender issues with Riker falling in love with a gender neutral character that was becoming female and brainwashed back to being who she was before, the deaf diplomant, etc. Small sample just off the top of my head.

I'll agree there. Maybe it's just the shrill tone of these modern shows, or maybe I'm idealizing the past....I would pretty much have to go through those old episodes to really know

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Often overlooked but Star Trek VI is a pivotal point in Trek for me. The idea that we could make peace with the enemy of decades and decades is powerful stuff.

That it came out during the fall of the iron curtain (though the idea for the film appears to have been pitched prior to the Soviet breakup) is very prescient. As we’ve talked about in the Ukraine thread it’s too bad we did not become Allie’s with Russia after the collapse, like the Federation did with Russians, I mean Klingons.

It’s why the Federation not helping out in the destruction of Romulus annoys me so much. Picard was right on Picard Ep1 Season 1, but the fact they even wrote that for Picard to be the moral compass for, is garbage.

If anything future Trek needs to show Federation at peace with the Romulan Free State.

What was I talking about?

Fygee

20 Year Member
The arc of the Federation not helping with the Romulan evacuation doesn't bother me, and I think it's a good story-line. They were still recovering from the Dominion War. Members were leaving. Romulus had been enemies of the Federation for three centuries. Even as enlightened as Starfleet is, it still had it's prejudices and reluctance to put themselves in a position of weakness and danger. It's a good parallel to a weakened superpower becoming isolationist and shirking it's allies rather than globalist and putting the greater good ahead of its own interests (so basically the Trump years).

It was a good redemption arc for the Federation and Starfleet to rediscover themselves after facing a major challenge on who they are and what they represent. It's not too far off from where the Federation was in ST6 after Praxis exploded.

I've never cared for Starfleet being an incorruptible, unchallenged Mary Sue, and it's something Star Trek has dealt with many times before, but tends to be forgotten. Especially when it comes to corrupt captains and admirals breaking the rules and putting their own bullshit ahead of others.