SOTM May 2022: RAIDEN FIGHTERS JET

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
I'm having a lot of fun with this one. Makes me really glad I scored the PCB a few years ago. Really surprised we haven't played it before. I improved my score marginally, but after researching, I think I have a better strategy to increase my score to one worth posting.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Been messing between Micalus and Ixion, the rank skyrockets when you get to the upgraded medal system. I usually do soidway through the second stage, and ive been hovering at the 12 mil mark for a bit

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
Sat down and played a credit finally, thoughts to come but man do I love this game, it really is its own unique special thing.

My first scores are booty buttcheeks so not posting yet, highest was like in the 6 mil with Eraser. Was avoiding the "special" planes cause I have the PCB variant all fighters unlocked automatically and I couldn't remember which were a no-go. I see yall posting Micalus so will prolly roll with him

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Ralfakick 17852744 Miclus 360 level 35

130387D6-3BE4-44AF-8BED-A33C10B48355.jpeg

Last edited:

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Decided to play one more time
Ralfakick 20826948 Level 35 Miclus 360

76C4E0BD-DB78-48C1-9868-04984A41C9D2.jpeg

Last edited:

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
A huge shout out to @Gremlin for sending me a copy of this game for 360, wouldn’t be able to post without his help.
Put a couple credits in, totally don’t understand the metal chain system. Game seems very fun and has some depth to it, along the lines of Garegga.

1652582825798.jpeg

Dogg - 10,127,183 - Level 20 - Micalus - 360

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Dogg if you can Tate at all, do it. The options in this port of the game are great, perfect scaling and scanline options

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
Dogg if you can Tate at all, do it. The options in this port of the game are great, perfect scaling and scanline options

Ditto, Aces is hands down the best shmup port (ports?) ever made. Incredible value and a must own. Need to find another copy now lol

Heads up for 360 players in case you don't know: by default your game is slightly harder than the PCB cause it has to run 10% faster to reach 60 fps instead of the original game's weird 54fps that most consumer TVs can't handle. There are options in the screen menu to run at the original speed and either double a single frame every second in a slight stutter or "interpolate/blend" a single frame to close that gap. I don't recall being bothered by the latter while using a CRT, you should def try both settings out and see if they work for you. The game's hard enough as-is :keke:

Screenshot_20220514-225315_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
A huge shout out to @Gremlin for sending me a copy of this game for 360, wouldn’t be able to post without his help.
Put a couple credits in, totally don’t understand the metal chain system. Game seems very fun and has some depth to it, along the lines of Garegga.

View attachment 57506

Dogg - 10,127,183 - Level 20 - Micalus - 360
Basically the medal system works like this.

1. Get at least 1 slave (preferably 2)
2. Let the airborne medals combine, being careful to not prematurely collect it. Combine them until it gets massive, which will have a distinctly different sound when it gets to that point.
3. Once there, collect the medal. It should be worth 2048000 points.
4. Then, expose 9 medals, and you'll see them disappear and a ding sound will happen. This activates the super medal mode, where the medals are large and worth 10000 points all the way up to 100000.

Your rank increases a lot here, so be prepared to do a lot of dodging and bombing

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
Score table updated.

I haven't tried the game yet. Rough month o_O

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
ggallegos1 - 360 - 25,081,230 pts - Micalus - Phase 1
Screenshot_20220516-202504_Photos.jpg

I find i score better with the Micalus due to it's firepower. With 2 slaves and a maxed out lasers i get tons of quick shots for added end stage bonuses. In this round i got the medals late, i need to tighten the ability to medal within the first 2 stages to really get the groove on.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
So…I can install the game to the HD and not need the disc?
On an unmodded system you need the disc present as a copy protection to launch after install, but yeah, you can install the game 1st which can help.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
Finally am getting the medal mode early consistently and got a score I'm not embarrassed of (Thanks for the guide @Atro, it helped a ton!):

1652929007161.png

GMEGBLN - PCB - 31,028,870 - IXION- Level 40

I had a much easier time getting the medal mode with Ixion, really touchy controls but I'm finding it the superior ship to the others (besides the slave lol)

--------

I always had a respect for this game before but man, I've fallen completely in love again and feel blessed that I got a PCB for peanuts awhile ago. At first getting into its guts and studying the mechanics seemed like such a colossal chore and incredibly intimidating when first trying to score, but when things click the game will suck you into an absolute trance, it's awesome. The visuals are pretty uninspired but it's marvellously detailed and top class pixel art, and while I always thought the music was meh and the weakest part of the equation before, when you get into that flow state then it literally all blends together into such a beautiful, tasty STG stew. I was first exposed to it with the Aces collection on 360 as a teen but I had the stupid idea that I should 1CC the games in order which I proceeded to never do, so Jet was never something I put real time into. And that's a huge shame, 'cause while the entire series is great this definitely stands out as the best game Seibu ever made and even one of the best shmups of all time, though it's definitely for enthusiasts and not something I'd recommend to casual players

The biggest annoyance for me is how lucrative the special medal mode is which makes a failure an instant restart, and it really is an absolute slog in an arcade setting to start fresh every time you fuck a run up. For that reason alone I think the 360 port is the definitive version if you can get over the refresh rate goofiness. The slave formation stuff needing algebra to not be random to you is also an incredibly annoying design decision and really blows