BEST TV Shows to watch... CURRENTLY...

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Bosch: Legacy - watched the first 4 episodes. Typical Bosch so far, felt like it was starting to get a bit more exciting with Ep 4.

I wonder if they’ll release 4 episodes at a time as they have done so far or if they’ll string us along with 1 episode a week.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
We watched all of Undone seasons one and two over the last week or so. Really good. Everything I couldn't stand about Russian Doll in terms of character and dialogue was done so much better in this series. Both shows deal with time and feature a broken female protagonist, but they're night and day.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Bosch: Legacy - watched the first 4 episodes. Typical Bosch so far, felt like it was starting to get a bit more exciting with Ep 4.

I wonder if they’ll release 4 episodes at a time as they have done so far or if they’ll string us along with 1 episode a week.
2 episodes a week.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
We watched all of Undone seasons one and two over the last week or so. Really good. Everything I couldn't stand about Russian Doll in terms of character and dialogue was done so much better in this series. Both shows deal with time and feature a broken female protagonist, but they're night and day.

This has been on my watch list for a while. I'll have to check it out. There's some gems on Amazon Prime video, but Im always in some other app when watching stuff.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Anyone watch Ted Lasso on Apple+? I'm thinking of signing up just to watch this show. We already have Netflix, Disney+, prime video, peacock, etc...

Unless someone knows of another way to watch it...

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Anyone watch Ted Lasso on Apple+? I'm thinking of signing up just to watch this show. We already have Netflix, Disney+, prime video, peacock, etc...

Unless someone knows of another way to watch it...
It's a good show but it's pretty sappy compared to most edgier comedies now which is actually a nice change. It has a lot of heart, kind of like classic Simpson vs. modern Family Guy in that regard. It's worth a months subscriptions to binge it. It's probably the best thing on Apple+, I honestly find most of the programming on there very "Apple" i.e. somewhat pretentious, overrated and kind of dull.

Reactions: NGT

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Finally some of y'all watching Undone. I've been yelling into the void about how great that show is since season 1 premiered.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
My friend has been raving about Ted Lasso.

I might sign up for Apple TV if I can get a month real cheap.

I need to drop D+ now that Moon Knoght is over. I meant to do it after Book of Boba Fett ended lol, but just forgot.

Reactions: NGT

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Finally some of y'all watching Undone. I've been yelling into the void about how great that show is since season 1 premiered.
I watched season one back when it came out. And I did like it at the time. But by the time season two arrived, I had mostly forgotten it.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I watched season one back when it came out. And I did like it at the time. But by the time season two arrived, I had mostly forgotten it.
Yeah, it didn't seem to get a ton of attention on release and then COVID delayed season 2 significantly. Most of the season we got was directed over Zoom.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Yeah, it didn't seem to get a ton of attention on release and then COVID delayed season 2 significantly. Most of the season we got was directed over Zoom.
Which is crazy, because in some ways, I think season 2 is better.

I was kind of surprised when the series ended without her saving that kid from drowning, though.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Which is crazy, because in some ways, I think season 2 is better.
I agree.

The only thing I think was stronger about season 1 was the ambiguity. You don't really know one way or the other what's true about Alma's abilities and/or her mental health in season 1 until
Spoiler:
she accesses information about her mother she couldn't have picked up from any other source, I think in episode 6 or 7. And even then, it's a pretty subtle difference between that and all the other carefully plotted scenes that keep up the ambiguity, especially when you see Alma's behavior from Becca or Sam's perspective. Whereas in season 2, they pretty confidently stroll forward with the premise that everything is definitely real, until the very end when she merges with her past self in the cave to add the tiniest hint of doubt.

And also, maybe the COVID restrictions pushed some characters to the side. I thought it was weird that Reed wasn't involved in the happy timeline at the end at all, and Sam only makes a cameo or two in the whole season.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Just watched the first 2 episodes and yeah it's just more Bosch but I think it benefits from two big things:

1.) He's not bound by Police regulations/red tape and he also isn't constantly clashing with a superior. These both help expedite the plot quite a bit.

2.) His daughter being a rookie cop instead of an idealistic wannabe lawyer. I've always disliked her and having her become more idealistic towards the end of the previous series was insufferable. Now that she's a cop and one on the bottom of the totem pole so to speak she's getting a chance to see how the world actually works.

I still think she sucks but at least she sucks a bit less now.

She's absolutely doesn't look like a cop though they should have had her bulk up a little. No way I believe she can tackle a full grown man or even restrain someone.

I finished The Pentaverate yesterday, the last episode certainly was a doozy. At first I thought they were just reusing a gag from Austin Powers but they took it way beyond that. The series isn't all that great but there are moments that are both so elaborate and stupid in their humor that I have to give it some credit.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty- I don't give a shit about basketball but I like John C. Reily enough to check this out. It's pretty well done, very period accurate, great casting and some solid writing. It's an Adam McKay project so it has most of his trademark meanness and adult humor, which mostly work given the characters and setting work but can be a bit too much at times. Like Jerry West having one of his famous tantrums is fine but I don't need to see him fucking.

It's about the Lakers getting Magic Johnson and the insane rivalry with the Celtics. Which was a bit before my time but the politics and drama are actually pretty interesting. My main issue is the camera work. It shifts seemingly at random between modern HD, fake camcorder and Super 8. It doesn't always work and at times looks really fake and distracting. Also the constant 4th wall breaking is not as clever as they seem to think it is. I'd still recommend it despite it's flaws.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
My friend has been raving about Ted Lasso.

I might sign up for Apple TV if I can get a month real cheap.

I need to drop D+ now that Moon Knoght is over. I meant to do it after Book of Boba Fett ended lol, but just forgot.
But Obi Wan is coming out next munf, and then Ahsoka?

Ahsoka went into production/filming... yesterday? I think? Filoni posted something recently on one of the socials.

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
Season 1 of Amazon’s Outer Ranges is over.

Some really compelling story advancements in the last two episodes but leaves the viewer with even more questions.

I was actually surprised that episode 8 was the last of the season, I didn’t realize it was the last - didn’t feel like a “finale” so to speak. More like an abrupt stop.

Anyway I hope they have a plan for a resolution of the series and don’t continue to string along the mystery.
I didn’t realize it was the last episode either. Just found out from you. It did not seem like a season finally at all. I really like the show. Left me wanting a lot more but 8 episodes. Way too short.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Tokyo Vice- This shit is more convoluted than the plot to a Yakuza game. I liked Baby Driver guy in Baby Driver but this character is just awful and completely unbelievable. Yeah sure he just got a job at a Japanese newspaper on the crime beat and is going to crack the underworld open like Scoops McScooperson. Oh he speaks and reads Japanese perfectly but makes social faux pas constantly... Aside from that type of stuff he's also just astoundingly dumb. The love triangle, his bosses family situation, the missing girl are all stupid as well. Seems like they really just tried to cram too much into this and it really feels like it.

I do enjoy how it shows the very particular type of Japanese bureaucracy and willful ignorance that's built into their entire society. Oh that guy was just jogging and fell on a knife 5 times, of course that couldn't possibly be classified as murder lol. And all the requisite "saving face" shenanigans that the Japanese love so much..

It's not terrible it's just bloated, half baked and unfocused. If it was streamlined and had a better main character it could make for a great noir type serial but it's just a mediocre crime thriller set in Tokyo. Which at least makes it a bit more interesting than it would be otherwise.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Kids in the Hall 2022- Not bad, not amazing but not bad. They still have "it" for the most part, though it's not as edgey as the old stuff. I'd say more on par with Brain Candy than the original series. Lots of returning favorite characters and nods/references to old KITH stuff. They certainly acknowledge their age and there are times when they come across as old but there's also times where you almost forget that they're all pushing 60, the fall back into character so well. I think the biggest problem is that some of the sketches feel a bit meandering, especially the more avant garde ones which I think might be due to their length. Overall though it's a pretty good return to form and in no way tarnishes their legacy.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
The Kids in the Hall 2022- They still have "it" for the most part, though it's not as edgey as the old stuff.

Was this sarcasm?
First skit they rock out with their cocks out.
I was putting my kids to sleep and they're jumping up and down and I was thinking OMG I don't want my kids to see this or me watching it and have to explain it to them.
In fact I'm not sure there's a skit yet that I'd show them.

BTW death comes to town is also on Prime, it came out around ten years ago and I always wanted to see it.
Don't know if it was just on CBC or what.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Was this sarcasm?
First skit they rock out with their cocks out.
That's a different type of edgey than their older stuff. That's not the clever biting social criticism they're known for, that's just shock value.

I mean yeah it's still out there and they still have a lot to say about the absurdity of life but it's on a service where they're not constrained by network TV. They had to try harder back in the day to work around the censors and suits and I think the show benefited from that.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I can def recommend Ted Lasso. We started watching it on a whim, and there went the entire weekend.

I've really liked most of the Apple TV lineup. Mythic Quest, Severance, The Servant. Ted Lasso.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Under the Banner of Heaven is really, really good. It's slow, but much of that is due to how evenly it treats its depiction of the Mormon faith. Currently in a very close race with Better Call Saul for my personal favorite TV show of the year. Garfield was definitely a boring Spider-Man, but he's really good in this.

Candy - Umm.... HBO has their own version of the same story coming out later this year with a better lead actress. Not good, found myself falling asleep halfway through the first episode.