Game boy Ballers post here

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
So, I kinda went full retard and built what is close to an ultimate Gameboy Advance (SP)

unhinged 1.jpgunhinged 3.jpgunhinged 2.jpg

I'm not quite done with it, but right now it has an anodized aluminum front shell and raised buttons and dpad, IPS screen, headphone jack, USB C charge port, and internally a power cleaner to help clean up the audio a bit. Back part is a standard SP shell. I have an aluminum back also that allows for a huge lipo battery but I found it to be more comfortable in this configuration although I had to use a smaller (but still bigger than stock) battery. I just need to get a new back shell, this was an old cracked one I had laying around. I also might swap in a 101 backlit screen instead of the IPS, I specifically got this shell since you could use either one.

It feels really great in the hands, the dpad is just perfect. L and R surprisingly work very well.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
How do you feel about the indentions for the DPad and buttons? Feel ok? I've been tempted to go full retard on one of these as well

Which case did you go with? Or who's did you go with?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I don't really notice the indention of the dpad, and it works very well. The buttons feel fine too although the metal on metal is a bit clicky. I had to use aftermarket membranes for the buttons oddly enough, OEM didn't work quite right. If I had the option of using plastic dpad and buttons I would, but the fact that they are raised is a greater benefit to me, it makes them more comfortable to use.

It's a Boxy Pixel Unhinged shell. I got the full kit but ended up only using the front panel. With the aluminum back it added some thickness that's reminiscent of a DMG that I liked, but it had some sharp angles that aren't terrible but I wish were more rounded. I swapped to a regular plastic back shell and it felt quite a bit better to me, but I miss the thickness and the huge battery.

I mostly got it because I've been hanging out in the Gameboy Discord, and a lot of people have been getting their Slates the past few days. The Slate is a fantastic design, but I really wanted a headphone jack without having to use an adapter so I went Boxy. Installing and wiring the headphone jack was not fun by the way. If you don't care about the headphone jack or USB charging I'd absolutely go Slate.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
I don't really notice the indention of the dpad, and it works very well. The buttons feel fine too although the metal on metal is a bit clicky. I had to use aftermarket membranes for the buttons oddly enough, OEM didn't work quite right. If I had the option of using plastic dpad and buttons I would, but the fact that they are raised is a greater benefit to me, it makes them more comfortable to use.

It's a Boxy Pixel Unhinged shell. I got the full kit but ended up only using the front panel. With the aluminum back it added some thickness that's reminiscent of a DMG that I liked, but it had some sharp angles that aren't terrible but I wish were more rounded. I swapped to a regular plastic back shell and it felt quite a bit better to me, but I miss the thickness and the huge battery.

I mostly got it because I've been hanging out in the Gameboy Discord, and a lot of people have been getting their Slates the past few days. The Slate is a fantastic design, but I really wanted a headphone jack without having to use an adapter so I went Boxy. Installing and wiring the headphone jack was not fun by the way. If you don't care about the headphone jack or USB charging I'd absolutely go Slate.
Good stuff, thanks for the rundown. I also think the Boxy edges out the Slate for those features but both look like great options.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
If it doesn’t fold and has jank shaped aftermarket inputs then, IMHO, it’s far from Ultimate. The stock version is much closer to “ultimate” than one that doesn’t fold. Now it’s too big and has no built in screen protection.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Yes, it's a giant device that's still smaller than a Gameboy Color, with better comfort and execution of complex controller inputs. What a piece of shit.
I never said it was a piece of shit. I said it wasn’t the ultimate. Can you not comprehend subtlety or is your skin just so thin that you can only accept praise?

You made it worse, because down was the only way to go, but while it’s far from perfect like it was when it left the factory it’s still nice. You put 22” spinners on your Range Rover, more or less. No worries, the next guy to own it will melt them down and return it to stock…hopefully you saved the parts. :)

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
I never said it was a piece of shit. I said it wasn’t the ultimate. Can you not comprehend subtlety or is your skin just so thin that you can only accept praise?

You made it worse, because down was the only way to go, but while it’s far from perfect like it was when it left the factory it’s still nice. You put 22” spinners on your Range Rover, more or less. No worries, the next guy to own it will melt them down and return it to stock…hopefully you saved the parts. :)

I will show you my beef.

PS: @GohanX please keep going full retard. That's beautiful mod work.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Hmm, how many people do you currently have on ignore :unsure:

I don't know. I block all the users who tell me to kill myself or insult my children or are Kid Chameleon so...probably like a half dozen. I blocked nobody for saying my Gameboy wasn't ultimate.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I don't know. I block all the users who tell me to kill myself or insult my children or are Kid Chameleon so...probably like a half dozen. I blocked nobody for saying my Gameboy wasn't ultimate.
There's good reason to be more insulted by someone shitting on a project I posted up pictures of than my children that they have never seen and know nothing about.

None of the above are blocking level misdemeanours far as I can see either.

Spoiler:
Except kidcuck, obviously

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
If it doesn’t fold and has jank shaped aftermarket inputs then, IMHO, it’s far from Ultimate. The stock version is much closer to “ultimate” than one that doesn’t fold. Now it’s too big and has no built in screen protection.

@Tarma this is also the shit i'm talking about. goes sperg, for no reason, on some subjective shit where he thinks he is the authoritative expert or has the final say.

also, see his retarded 'psx' nomenclature shit.

p.s: @SignOfZeta your vinyl records are shit, fagit.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
@Tarma this is also the shit i'm talking about. goes sperg, for no reason, on some subjective shit where he thinks he is the authoritative expert or has the final say.

also, see his retarded 'psx' nomenclature shit.

p.s: @SignOfZeta your vinyl records are shit, fagit.
I'll give you a dollar to start a Laserdisc thread and see how long it takes him to proclaim himself king of the LD scene. In fact, fuck it, I'll give you 50 cents to bump the old LD thread which is on here somewhere.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Putting this thread back on subject...I dropped a Cleanpower DC regulator and a Cleanjuice XL into one of my DMGs - totally gratuitous, but I was bored. But now I can just charge it directly.

1657813577349.png
1657813587311.png
1657813735651.png

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

What a fucking faggot.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Picked up this rom cart last week called the EZ Flash Omega. I've got an old Micro and SP, but I almost never play them nowadays. My kids love them though, and they're great for long car rides. But I recently came into a good deal for the Gameboy Player attachment for the Gamecube, and I looked into getting an everdrive for it, so that I could just load up all the games and keep it in there, no fuss. But those were out of stock, and are very difficult to get right now for obvious reasons.

So I did some research, and this EZ Flash cart was cited as the next best thing. It was pretty cheap, and it certainly feels like it with shitty packaging and a super light, cheap plastic cart, but I've actually been pleasantly surprised with it. Loaded it up with tons of GB, GBC and GBA games, and haven't come into any compatibility issues yet. The saves work well, and I like the UI. They even have a downloadable file on their website with the artwork for the GBA library which is a nice touch in the presentation. So, maybe it'll crap out in a year or so, who knows, but for the price, it's worth it in my opinion.

Resized_20220707_142537.jpeg20220714_220546.jpg

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Picked up this rom cart last week called the EZ Flash Omega. I've got an old Micro and SP, but I almost never play them nowadays. My kids love them though, and they're great for long car rides. But I recently came into a good deal for the Gameboy Player attachment for the Gamecube, and I looked into getting an everdrive for it, so that I could just load up all the games and keep it in there, no fuss. But those were out of stock, and are very difficult to get right now for obvious reasons.

So I did some research, and this EZ Flash cart was cited as the next best thing. It was pretty cheap, and it certainly feels like it with shitty packaging and a super light, cheap plastic cart, but I've actually been pleasantly surprised with it. Loaded it up with tons of GB, GBC and GBA games, and haven't come into any compatibility issues yet. The saves work well, and I like the UI. They even have a downloadable file on their website with the artwork for the GBA library which is a nice touch in the presentation. So, maybe it'll crap out in a year or so, who knows, but for the price, it's worth it in my opinion.

View attachment 58638View attachment 58639
I grabbed one for my GBA awhile back and was also impressed. I've had pretty much every iteration of GBA flashcarts over the years and this one just works. 👌

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
So, I kinda went full retard and built what is close to an ultimate Gameboy Advance (SP)

View attachment 58585View attachment 58586View attachment 58587

I'm not quite done with it, but right now it has an anodized aluminum front shell and raised buttons and dpad, IPS screen, headphone jack, USB C charge port, and internally a power cleaner to help clean up the audio a bit. Back part is a standard SP shell. I have an aluminum back also that allows for a huge lipo battery but I found it to be more comfortable in this configuration although I had to use a smaller (but still bigger than stock) battery. I just need to get a new back shell, this was an old cracked one I had laying around. I also might swap in a 101 backlit screen instead of the IPS, I specifically got this shell since you could use either one.

It feels really great in the hands, the dpad is just perfect. L and R surprisingly work very well.
So you turn an SP in a DMG.. noice