The best fan translations around; Seven Mansions - 6/28

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member

Had to start with the GOAT. and don't worry...I'll leave em all in one thread

I've got a few free slots for extra videos in this series...anyone have any loved translations?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I played the saturn version a couple years ago, wish there was more!

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I really enjoyed the SNES translations in the early 2000's, but most have modern versions now. FF5, DQ 5, DQ6, Bahamut Lagoon, Tales of Phantasia....

I'll have to think about other great translations....
Shining Force chapters on the Saturn is pretty major. Pia Carrot on PC-FX was interesting for the time as there were no translated dating sims at all.

I still hope that Shadowrun on Sega CD gets traction again. The largest Sega CD game, but never fully translated.
There's an interesting LP of a guy that used google OCR/translate to play it. Detailed here https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/shadowrun-1996-for-sega-cd-シャドウラン.138676/

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
YsIV on PCE got a really good translation. They even re-recorded the dialogue sequences years later. When I played it only the text was translated.

fake

15 Year Member
I really enjoyed the SNES translations in the early 2000's, but most have modern versions now. FF5, DQ 5, DQ6, Bahamut Lagoon, Tales of Phantasia....

I'll have to think about other great translations....
Shining Force chapters on the Saturn is pretty major. Pia Carrot on PC-FX was interesting for the time as there were no translated dating sims at all.

I still hope that Shadowrun on Sega CD gets traction again. The largest Sega CD game, but never fully translated.
There's an interesting LP of a guy that used google OCR/translate to play it. Detailed here https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/shadowrun-1996-for-sega-cd-シャドウラン.138676/
I didn't realize the SF chapters were translated. Are they any good?

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
The coolest fan translations currently are Racing Lagoon and Mizzurna Falls IMO

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Deuce's last laugh...

Wasn't this actually released in french or something? Seems easier to learn than japanese :p
T'was.

It was also translated into Spanish, most if not all of it anyway. But then I'd have to admit I learned french.

*shudder*

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
T'was.

It was also translated into Spanish, most if not all of it anyway. But then I'd have to admit I learned french.

*shudder*

I'd be happy I studied French for 10+ years for once, but you're right. It's pretty useless. I'm much more likely to meet a random French speaker on the street than I am to play that fan translation.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
have you played Snatcher yet? if not...do it.

I wish Kojima would make a third visual novel. This always felt like a trilogy
Yeah I played that prior to it, equally awesome.

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Played this Policenauts fan translation on my PSP some time ago, but I've never finished it... I should go back to the game. Great fan translation indeed. Compared to the masterpiece known as Snatcher, it feels a little slow and drawn out (it's a Kojima game, after all), but it's still an impressive and incredibly ambitious visual novel. I just wish we could play the original PC-9821 version, 'cause the graphics have more charm compared to the "enhanced" anime visuals of the Saturn and PSX ports (in theory they're excellent, but the new cel animation suffers from the low resolution scan and looks murky, while the original PC-98 pixel art still looks crisp and beautiful). Also, the PSX version censorship nerfed the bouncy breast animations, compared to the Saturn version 😢

My favorite fan translation is probably Danganronpa on PSP: now the series has become mainstream and we've got all chapters in english, but it's also thanks to that astonishing job if Danganronpa got a western audience in the first place.

Last edited:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Played this Policenauts fan translation on my PSP some time ago, but I've never finished it... I should go back to the game. Great fan translation indeed. Compared to the masterpiece known as Snatcher, it feels a little slow and drawn out (it's a Kojima game, after all), but it's still an impressive and incredibly ambitious visual novel. I just wish we could play the original PC-9821 version, 'cause the graphics have more charm compared to the "enhanced" anime visuals of the Saturn and PSX ports (in theory they're excellent, but the new cel animation suffers from the low resolution scan and looks murky, while the original PC-98 pixel art still looks crisp and beautiful). Also, the PSX version censorship nerfed the bouncy breast animations, compared to the Saturn version 😢

My favorite fan translation is probably Danganronpa on PSP: now the series has become mainstream and we've got all chapters in english, but it's also thanks to that astonishing job if Danganronpa got a western audience in the first place.
another Danganronpa fan! a man of taste I see

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
another Danganronpa fan! a man of taste I see
🧐🥂 Indeed I am. Glad to meet another one.
If you still haven't played it, I strongly recommend AI: the Somnium Files (Spike Chunsoft game from the Zero Escape series director) ;)

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
never really thought of it as resident evil. More like an adventure style of NES Friday the 13th

Tron

Test
15 Year Member

Resident Evil before it even existnt
For a 8bit game it's definitely creepy at least beside playing it you can see how it influenced resident evil.Being trapped in a manor and looking for a way to escape.By the way which fan translation did you use gaijin production or thesiege ? Years ago,i had my original copy of sweet home rom swap for the gaijin translation and i didn't have to much trouble completing the game.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
For a 8bit game it's definitely creepy at least beside playing it you can see how it influenced resident evil.Being trapped in a manor and looking for a way to escape.By the way which fan translation did you use gaijin production or thesiege ? Years ago,i had my original copy of sweet home rom swap for the gaijin translation and i didn't have to much trouble completing the game.
Id have to look. I finished this vid in feb

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Music by Yoko Kanno (Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne)... I'm really curious to play it after all these years listening to the OST! 👍

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
The coolest fan translations currently are Racing Lagoon and Mizzurna Falls IMO

2nd'd on Racing Lagoon. It was a fun RPG/Racing game. It aged well but I'd like to see a sequel or remake. Cool aesthetic and music.