2022 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
this is a start like the Calgary series …. Time to step up and block some shots for the goalie
Yep... or, play better in front of them if you can.

I'm actually not the biggest fan of the new style NHL 'everyone try to block every shot' mentality. Safety aside, most goalies I played with at lower levels would rather you let them see the shot if you're not damn sure you're blocking it. I think it was Tampa earlier in the playoffs, I saw 3 players try to block a shot at once on a PK, creating a huge screen and goal that would have been a routine save if the goalie could see the shot to begin with.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
Yep... or, play better in front of them if you can.

I'm actually not the biggest fan of the new style NHL 'everyone try to block every shot' mentality. Safety aside, most goalies I played with at lower levels would rather you let them see the shot if you're not damn sure you're blocking it. I think it was Tampa earlier in the playoffs, I saw 3 players try to block a shot at once on a PK, creating a huge screen and goal that would have been a routine save if the goalie could see the shot to begin with.
Oiler goaltending is probably the weakest of the final 4 teams , so if they have any chance they need to block some shots.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
I don't disagree, but the better goalies make looking through traffic easy. It's insane how these guys can track the puck in a crowd. I'm just saying be smart about it, going extra trying to block every shot can backfire when you end up screening your [not 1st string] goalie.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
I don't disagree, but the better goalies make looking through traffic easy. It's insane how these guys can track the puck in a crowd. I'm just saying be smart about it, going extra trying to block every shot can backfire when you end up screening your [not 1st string] goalie.
If they lay down and atlease take away the 5 hole .. back in the buffalo sabre days when Dominic hasek just lay flat and stack the pads , players would have a hard time roofing/lifting the puck over him .

skate323k137

10 Year Member
If they lay down and atlease take away the 5 hole .. back in the buffalo sabre days when Dominic hasek just lay flat and stack the pads , players would have a hard time roofing/lifting the puck over him .
Great way to get yourself hurt nowadays. I do miss the pad stack days though, but it's just too easy to elevate the puck now, the curves on these sticks are insane. I had to stockpile 5 Pro-Stock eastons years ago that had a milder curve, because most of the newer curves are "open" where the toe of the blade is leaned back, making the puck elevate like crazy. I prefer a closed blade as a defenseman and I also know to proper sauce a pass / shoot high without a ridiculous curve. Vasilevskiy had a killer pad-stack-ish save last night though, slid in sideways and kicked up the top leg. Brough a smile to my face lol.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
Great way to get yourself hurt nowadays. I do miss the pad stack days though, but it's just too easy to elevate the puck now, the curves on these sticks are insane. I had to stockpile 5 Pro-Stock eastons years ago that had a milder curve, because most of the newer curves are "open" where the toe of the blade is leaned back, making the puck elevate like crazy. I prefer a closed blade as a defenseman and I also know to proper sauce a pass / shoot high without a ridiculous curve. Vasilevskiy had a killer pad-stack-ish save last night though, slid in sideways and kicked up the top leg. Brough a smile to my face lol.
Pretty sure the ref still measure for illegal curve on sticks , maybe with the flex and curve make the player more skillful and harder slap shots and quicker snap shots . Maybe down the road goalies will have google glass that tracks the pucks to even out the odds … lol

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Pretty sure the ref still measure for illegal curve on sticks , maybe with the flex and curve make the player more skillful and harder slap shots and quicker snap shots . Maybe down the road goalies will have google glass that tracks the pucks to even out the odds … lol
Yea the curves are legal, just the overall trend in shape has gone that way.

When I played in USA Hockey officiated leagues my stick was the literal legal limit of length (minus the "Chara rule" extension). I made sure it would pass if someone bitched. Also I played lacrosse when I was younger which was a lot more strict/regular about stick checks.

koho-hockey-stick-curves.jpg

I like somewhere between the Jagr and Amonte in that pic, closer to the Jagr. Forwards nowadays rock cuves more like the one on the right... I'm liable to take people's heads off if I use those.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
No Kuemper tonight for the Avs. Francouz starting, and it seems like they're not going to bench Jack Johnson.

Watch the geezer score 2 goals tonight and make me look like an ass for demanding they bench him the last several games.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Fuck yes Avs!

2 eyed Francouz > 1 eyed Kuemper

Back to Edmonton with the Avs up 2-0. Avs 5-0 on the road this postseason, going for the kill with the 3-0 series lead on Saturday.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Oilers looked tired tonight. They clearly got frustrated toward the end.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
Well done… stick a fork in it . AVS in 6

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I think Calgary would've given a more interesting match-up, but let's see what the Oilers have when they play in front of the home crowd at Rogers Place.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I think Calgary would've given a more interesting match-up, but let's see what the Oilers have when they play in front of the home crowd at Rogers Place.
The Pacific was just soft as fuck this year.

St. Louis, Minnesota, or Nashville (even with their back up goalie) would beat Edmonton or Calgary.

famicommander

15 Year Member
You give up that many shots and eventually some are going to go in. Smith played as well as he could've been expected to play. Three in a row is harsh but he robbed the Avs of a few goals before that sequence. That loss definitely wasn't on Smith. The offense got him zero goals and the defense let him face 40 shots. Edmonton's best defenseman is Darnell Nurse and he's been on the ice for 10/11 Avs goals in the series. He's completely gassed and out of his depth but they have to keep playing him huge minutes because it just gets worse as they go down the line.

The Oilers are a one line team. That was enough to get them this far but Makar and MacKinnon can skate with McDavid. The Flames and the Kings simply didn't have a #1D or a #1 C that could even come close to saying that. And if the Avs' top line+pairing can cancel out or beat the McDavid line+Nurse pairing, the Oilers have absolutely no chance. The Avs 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines are far better than the Oilers. It's not even close.

Avs will close this out in four or five.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
The Pacific was just soft as fuck this year.

St. Louis, Minnesota, or Nashville (even with their back up goalie) would beat Edmonton or Calgary.
St. Louis I'd believe. But Minnesota and Nashville is going a bit too far. Nashville got swept by your Avs. I guarantee Calgary would have at least won one game even if it was one at the Saddledome against Colorado.

famicommander

15 Year Member
St. Louis I'd believe. But Minnesota and Nashville is going a bit too far. Nashville got swept by your Avs. I guarantee Calgary would have at least won one game even if it was one at the Saddledome against Colorado.
Calgary has horrible defense and a questionable playoff goalie. They were the best team in the worst division in hockey. They just got roasted in five by a one line team and there was nothing they could do about it. Avs would've swept the Flames.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
That series against Edmonton was closer than it leads on. Calgary only lost one game by three goals, the other three were either 1 or 2 goal games. Which really matters considering nearly every game was so high scoring. Calgary has more forward depth than Edmonton.

And honestly, outside of Colorado I think the West isn't nearly as strong as the East. Especially compared to NYR, Tampa, and Carolina. I thought Florida was on that level, too. But only scoring three goals in a series against the Bolts made me reconsider.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Oilers had it. Pressure and a shot off the post on a power play then 10 seconds later Avs get a short handed goal. This series is over.

famicommander

15 Year Member
1. Kane needs to be suspended for the rest of the playoffs and should have been ejected from the game for that dirty hit on Kadri. He intentionally took him out and it worked, and the early prognosis on Kadri is out for the series at minimum.

2. Compher's penalty wasn't a penalty. Clear dive on Draisaitl's part.

3. Blatant slash the refs didn't call on the second Oilers goal. Sturm had his stick slashed right out of his hands and this McLeod, his responsibility, went right down and scored.

Horribly officiated game. No excuse for that shit. Blatantly trying (and failing) to extend this series.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Yeah i agree. But thats what you get when youre playing against the last canadian team. Had kadri and kanes roles been reversed everyone would be after his head.