Has anyone of you actually overcome motion sickness

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
I have very hard issues of motion sickness in 3d shooters, medium problems with faster shoulder cam games like Resident Evil. In addition there are some games where I get really pissed to have motion sickness problems as they aren't even 3D (I'm looking at you Path of Exile - I can play Diablo 3 all day).
Screen shake is something I have to turn off in general.

Did anyone of you suffer from motion sickness and managed to overcome it? If yes - how?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I suffer from it, but only mainly in a couple cases.... back seats of cars for long trips, going in reverse, and landing of airplanes.

I did get sick the 1st time I played radiant silvergun though, now that I think of it, but playing it a few times my brain learned what the backgrounds did and it wasn't so bad.

Worst case, get ginger pills (like 1000mg raw ginger) and take it before/with a meal. Shit works wonders, and at least it's not dramamine.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I don’t get sick playing games like that, but then I very very rarely do. I get lost and then I quit. :) I rarely play 3D games.

Screen shake, as a thing, artificially added in post to everything filmed these days, doesn’t literally make me sick but I get sick OF it as a hack device and check out. It’s possible that’s just my early warning system.

When I ride with other drivers on a race track…that’s the closest I’ve come to something like motion sickness. Very smooth drivers are not a problem, but once when I was riding along in a friend’s Alfa GTV-6, on stock suspension, in July…nauseating. I was glad the lap ended when it did because I almost hurled when I got out and it took me an hour to be well enough to go back out myself. The “6” wasn’t part of the original design of that car and the HEAT it radiates into the cabin was what pushed me nearly over the edge along with the bobbing and weaving of 35 year old suspension in the hands of a very fast driver. Driving by myself has never been an issue.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
If I do a flip into or in water, I get all fucking disoriented.
This started about a year or two ago.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
If I do a flip into or in water, I get all fucking disoriented.
This started about a year or two ago.
Sounds like an ear thing. Any chance of a perforated eardrum or similar?

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Funnily enough in my case I stopped getting severe motion sickness/eye strain when I was able to play the same games at 60fps and more. Honestly its a relief

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I suffer from it, but only mainly in a couple cases.... back seats of cars for long trips, going in reverse, and landing of airplanes.

I did get sick the 1st time I played radiant silvergun though, now that I think of it, but playing it a few times my brain learned what the backgrounds did and it wasn't so bad.

Worst case, get ginger pills (like 1000mg raw ginger) and take it before/with a meal. Shit works wonders, and at least it's not dramamine.
I get sick in the back seat of cars for long trips too, it sucks. I wasn’t like that before. I’m ok in SUVs though.

I don’t play too many FPS games to begin with, but Dark Forces on the PlayStation made me sick when I played that, to the point I’d have to stop. Other than that Hexen or Goldeneye or anything else around that time I was fine with. I haven’t had any issues since. Oddly enough another game that made me sick (and maybe I was sick from something else and it was a weird coincidence because I don’t know what would cause me to be sick) was Mickey Magical Tetris on the N64, haven’t played that or Dark Forces since then.

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
Fps games like the original halo series are ok but early fps like duke nukem 3d tend to give me motion sickness these days, but didn't when I was younger. I think it's the jerkiness of animation and fast speed of running and turning in the early games that does it.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
The only motion sickness I've ever really had anywhere, video games or otherwise, was walking physically forward while pushing the thumbstick to walk backwards in Half-Life Alyx.

Interesting how some people are less or more susceptible to it.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I feel very fortunate that I've never been susceptible to motion sickness. Doesn't matter what the activity is, be it carnival rides or being in the backseat of a car or playing some video games that have that effect (like racing games with fast repeating patterns).

hatmoose

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Not super helpful in your current situation - but the reverse is possible.

The missus had a cast iron gut for decades, after kid #3 she developed the most epic motion sickness - would feel queezy in the car by the time we had passed the letter box.

So if it's possible to go one way, logically it's possible to go the other too. Have you tried getting pregnant?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I never got motion sick until my 20s

My mom had legit vertigo and an ear surgery straightened that out.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Absolutely get motion sickness from many FPS and the occasional third-person. Fan helps (weird as hell but true) as does just some practice, got so I could play Walking Dead on VR without too much issue.

It's not much fun to get there but just staying at it will do the trick.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I've never experienced it.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I've never gotten motion sickness from a video game, but, being a passenger during a really bumpy drive does it to me. Closing my eyes and thinking of something else helps, but, that's obviously not possible whilst playing a video game unless you're strong with the Force.

The only game that I just can't take playing is Mechanized Attack on NES, the near constant screen flashing when you shoot the lightgun drives me batshit.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Absolutely get motion sickness from many FPS and the occasional third-person. Fan helps (weird as hell but true) as does just some practice, got so I could play Walking Dead on VR without too much issue.

It's not much fun to get there but just staying at it will do the trick.
This amazes me because I can’t imagine myself wanting to do anything that makes me sick, can’t imagine wanting to do more until it’s no longer nauseating. Other things that don’t make me sick will always be more appealing. I guess that’s why I’m a pussy.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I remember as a kid that the game Chex Quest, a Doom-engine based free PC CD-ROM game from a cereal box gave me the worst motion sickness, but I still insisted on playing it.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
On rare occasion, 1st person games with large field-of-views can give me motion sickness. Turning down FOV can help if/when that's an option. Also having a cursor always display can help too. If a game gives me trouble and I still want to play it, I end up playing it in smaller chunks of time.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I get motion sick pretty bad playing games. Any FPS are out of the question unless they move at a slower pace like Halo. I also really struggle with any 3D platformers especially from around the Nintendo 64 era. I have also noticed some racing games can cause it with quick camera movements. I have just had to give up playing those types of games completely

loegan43

I've served my time in the Dark Army., Have you?,
15 Year Member
Mostly only get it on spinning rides at amusement parks. Chewable Dramamine tablets work wonders.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I only had motion sickness from a video game once. It was some 3D mod for Half-Life.