Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I watched a whole lot of bond yesterday, Thunderball is still boring, I love Donald Pleasence and From Russia with Love still holds up, best Connery bond movie imo.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
House II: The Second Story- Holy shit, I think this might've broken my brain. I've seen and enjoy the first one but this, this is something totally different. It's part 80's party animal movie, part Land of the Lost, part western and part Ray Harryhausen. I don't know if the kids stuff is out of place and it's supposed to be an absurd surreal adult comedy or vice versa. There's killing, drinking and sex jokes but there's also adorable puppets, tons of stop motion, family values stuff and the kind of logic you'd see in The Goonies or Explorers. Nothing makes any sense and it doesn't really need to, you're just kind of along for this really bizarre ride and it somehow mostly works. It's also in no way related to the first movie aside from the fact that it takes place in a house. It's so fucking weird, truly a product of the 80s.

I imagine if I had seen this as a kid it would have been one of my favorite movies growing up.

Apparently there are four House movies. The first one is a rather straight forward but goofy haunted house movie. This one that's some sort of acid trip of Weekend at Bernie's meets Land of the Lost meets Westworld. The third which looks like a rather serious and nasty revenge horror thriller starring Lance Henriksen and the fourth one which looks like a Poltergeist ripoff.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I watched a whole lot of bond yesterday, Thunderball is still boring, I love Donald Pleasence and From Russia with Love still holds up, best Connery bond movie imo.
Apparently on Thunderball, Connery had a Christian Bale-style meltdown on set, because some idiot accidentally let the shark loose early so that it was actually in the pool at the same time as Sir Sean, and it bumps into him coming out of the underwater connecting tunnel between Largo's swimming pools.

They used the shot in the actual movie, because at that point, why the fuck not. Damage was already done. But I have to imagine that shark dude got fired.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I didn't know that there were 4 House movies either, I think the only time I ever saw a DVD for sale, it was just the first two. The second one was a favorite of mine as a kid and there was a TV station that played it relatively frequently, so, I saw it several times growing up.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Windfall- A dark comedy starring Jesse Plimons and Jason Siegel. Plimons plays a tech billionaire who is visiting one of his weekend cottages with his wife. Jason Siegel is in the middle of robbing the house but the couple show up and complicate things. He takes them hostage and tries to figure out a way to get out of the situation. Things do not go well.

It's funny as this movie came up in the recent Red Letter Media video and Jay had completely forgotten that he'd seen it. I had meant to watch it awhile ago and also completely forgotten about it. That's not a coincidence, it's that kind of movie.

It's well made, well cast, quite clever and very enjoyable, one of those great little movies that while as good as it is you will completely forget you ever watched it in 2 days. I've noticed this with a lot of these types of "indie" feeling of dark comedies these last few years. They're great and the kind of thing you want to tell friends to watch but you never do. Things like I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore, Gerald's Game, The Kid Detective and Fresh.

It's weird to because these are usually Netflix, Amazon etc. originals yet they never seem to really promote them. That's half the reason they're so easily forgotten.

Back before streaming these would have been critical indie darlings but now they're just lost in the abyss, which is a shame.

Reactions: wyo

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
House II: The Second Story- Holy shit, I think this might've broken my brain. I've seen and enjoy the first one but this, this is something totally different. It's part 80's party animal movie, part Land of the Lost, part western and part Ray Harryhausen. I don't know if the kids stuff is out of place and it's supposed to be an absurd surreal adult comedy or vice versa. There's killing, drinking and sex jokes but there's also adorable puppets, tons of stop motion, family values stuff and the kind of logic you'd see in The Goonies or Explorers. Nothing makes any sense and it doesn't really need to, you're just kind of along for this really bizarre ride and it somehow mostly works. It's also in no way related to the first movie aside from the fact that it takes place in a house. It's so fucking weird, truly a product of the 80s.

I imagine if I had seen this as a kid it would have been one of my favorite movies growing up.

Apparently there are four House movies. The first one is a rather straight forward but goofy haunted house movie. This one that's some sort of acid trip of Weekend at Bernie's meets Land of the Lost meets Westworld. The third which looks like a rather serious and nasty revenge horror thriller starring Lance Henriksen and the fourth one which looks like a Poltergeist ripoff.

House II is so goddamn weird. They used to play it semi-regularly on USA in the 90s and I remember being thoroughly confused. IIRC, the last two movies are the boring kind of bad. 3 is like a knock-off "Shocker" and 4 is a generic haunted house movie (like 1 but less interesting).

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Wind- 80s thriller/giallo-lite starring Meg Foster and Wings Hauser set in Greece. Foster is a vacationing pulp novelist who rents a villa to finish her latest book in seclusion. Hauser plays the shady caretaker who murders the landlord and proceeds to terrorize Foster after she discovers his crime. Light on plot and full of that "Italian logic" I mentioned before, it's actually quite a tame thriller both in the gore and nudity departments. Wings Hauser's unhinged performances both unhinged and predictably terrible (not to mention coked up and half in the bag) but Meg Foster's spunkiness (and her amazing eyes) as well as the great setting help what would otherwise be a pretty mediocre movie.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
House II is so goddamn weird. They used to play it semi-regularly on USA in the 90s and I remember being thoroughly confused. IIRC, the last two movies are the boring kind of bad. 3 is like a knock-off "Shocker" and 4 is a generic haunted house movie (like 1 but less interesting).
The Horror Show (aka House 3) is pretty good if you watch the uncut Euro version. It came out before Shocker but I'm not sure who came up with the basic premise first or if the similarity is coincidental. House IV is straight to video trash.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Death on the Nile.

Im not super familiar with Poirot. I tried watching the show a while back and it just didn't catch my attention. Ive never read the books, and I actually have never seen "Orient Express" either. But my wife wanted to watch Nile tonite and I have to admit it was entertaining. Is Ross Perot supposed to be kinda funny in the books? If not, I do like how Branagh inserts a bit of comedy in the character's delivery.

Gal Gadot though, man... damn.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The Fable 1 & 2. I don't know if these movies are on netflix in the US/UK, but they have English subtitles here, so maybe?

Based on a comic about a mob hitman in hiding while things cool off and trying not to kill anyone. A little crazier and more comedic than the comic, but still really enjoyable. Worth checking out if netflix in your region has them. The comic is even more worth checking out, if anyone has fan translated it.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
You just can't stop telling fibs can you? The type of alcoholic that just says, or in this case types, everything that comes to their head.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
My illusion of stage is shattered now that I know he couldn't have been a fellow Perotvian.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Apparently on Thunderball, Connery had a Christian Bale-style meltdown on set, because some idiot accidentally let the shark loose early so that it was actually in the pool at the same time as Sir Sean, and it bumps into him coming out of the underwater connecting tunnel between Largo's swimming pools.

They used the shot in the actual movie, because at that point, why the fuck not. Damage was already done. But I have to imagine that shark dude got fired.
Yeah if you blink you miss it but you can see Connery absolutely terrified of the shark going through the same little tunnel he's in, which then cuts in the movie to him looking at the shark swimming past him with an obvious glass divider between them.

100proof

10 Year Member
It would've been fine if the sound mix didn't make the dialogue inscrutable.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I was watching it in stereo (streaming doesn't have surround) and I did notice a couple times where the mix was a bit off and some voices were quiet. It was only in the beginning tho. I figured it was because it was a surround mix that was being played in stereo. Also not counting all those times the people were actually talking in reverse.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I saw Tenet and it wasn't confusing like people were saying when it came out.
It really wasn't. By midway through, it was pretty easy to see what was happening, where it was going, and how it would end. The only thing I found hard to wrap my head around was how they managed to make being able to predict the entire second half not hurt the enjoyment of the film. Because usually, that will kill a movie dead for me.

It would've been fine if the sound mix didn't make the dialogue inscrutable.
Maybe that was a theater thing, because I watched it on streaming and the voices were fine for us.

100proof

10 Year Member
Yeah, it's possible they "fixed" it when they put it out on streaming/home but it was a common talking point in the reviews and the early discussions of the movie. Nolan made it sound like it was an intentional choice but it was fucking stupid and made an already complex movie (for the average filmgoer) even more so.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
When I watched Tenet a few months ago the sound mix was as bad as I'd heard it was in the theaters. It was fucking ridiculous, if it was that bad at home I can't imagine how bad it was in a theater. I'm not talking about quiet voices, I mean music playing on top of dialogue. The scene on the boat with the wind and water was unwatchable.

It's a shit movie. I couldn't take any of it seriously once I saw the guys in the background training to fight in reverse. Total nonsense.

Reactions: Syn