Beavis and Butthead Do the Universe

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Fingers crossed for this one, I have quite a bit of faith in Mike Judge. The worst thing he's made is Extract and it's still pretty damn funny.

The first movie still holds up remarkably well and the new season from a few years ago was solid even though apparently no-one bothered to watch it past the first couple episodes.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Fingers crossed for this one, I have quite a bit of faith in Mike Judge. The worst thing he's made is Extract and it's still pretty damn funny.

The first movie still holds up remarkably well and the new season from a few years ago was solid even though apparently no-one bothered to watch it past the first couple episodes.
They should've put the reboot on Comedy Central and paired it with South Park. The demographics of MTV had changed drastically in between the show's runs. It became a teenage girl network.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
They should've put the reboot on Comedy Central and paired it with South Park. The demographics of MTV had changed drastically in between the show's runs. It became a teenage girl network.
Yeah it was a terrible idea to put it on MTV at that point. The only thing they showed by then was Not Another Teen Whore Mom and Ridiculousness, I still had cable then and I remember there being like 6 hours blocks of those 2 shows just back to back into infinity in the program guide. I don't even think teenage girls were watching anymore, they'd all moved onto social media and YT.

Now this is on Paramount+ which is also shit but it's at least a known service.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Paramount Plus would suck a lot less if they just merged it with Showtime like WB did by folding all their individual streaming options into HBO Max.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
who asked for this?
I hope they somehow use this to goof on influencers.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Even better news than this is that all 200+ original episodes are coming to Paramount Plus, remastered, and including every single music video. Never thought I'd see the day they'd license all that music but I'm glad.

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Even better news than this is that all 200+ original episodes are coming to Paramount Plus, remastered, and including every single music video. Never thought I'd see the day they'd license all that music but I'm glad.

whoa

that's pretty cool

I really miss the videos even though I hated it when I was younger

famicommander

15 Year Member
I have a bunch of VHS and DVR rips of the original episodes with the music videos on a hard drive somewhere. Half the episodes have a giant MTV2 logo on the screen. Will be glad to be rid of the shit quality.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
When they released the series on DVD years ago did it have the original music videos?

famicommander

15 Year Member
When they released the series on DVD years ago did it have the original music videos?
They had a very truncated collection of videos (maybe 15% of what would've originally aired with the episodes on the discs) in the special features. The episodes themselves had zero.

Also, they didn't even release all the episodes. Some of the pilots and season 1 episodes are utter garbage and Mike Judge was embarrassed by them so they released several best-of box sets called "The Mike Judge Collection".

This will be the first time every episode is available in one collection.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
They had a very truncated collection of videos (maybe 15% of what would've originally aired with the episodes on the discs) in the special features. The episodes themselves had zero.

Also, they didn't even release all the episodes. Some of the pilots and season 1 episodes are utter garbage and Mike Judge was embarrassed by them so they released several best-of box sets called "The Mike Judge Collection".

This will be the first time every episode is available in one collection.

There was some wild shit in those early episodes. I had to google this to make sure my memory wasn't fucking with me:

Some episodes featuring incredibly dangerous activities fell mostly out of circulation after complaints:
  • In the Season 2 episode Home Improvement, one of the original Tom Anderson stories, he pays the boys to paint his house (the origin of later references to 'painting his cat's butt blue'). Beavis & Butt-Head sniff paint thinner, get 'high', and destroy quite a few things in the process. Episode featured one of the three CAUTION messages ("Breathing paint thinner will damage your brain. Look what it's done to Beavis and Butt-head.").
  • The original appearance of Stuart's House and his parents involved the moronic duo being left in the kitchen alone, where they activated the gas flow on the stove and then lit a lighter, blowing the crap out of the kitchen. (Stuart's mom shows up, asking "Would you boys like some lemonade?", to which Stuart's dad rants about how "We don't even have goddamn kitchen!"). Also featured a warning about how huffing natural gas was bad, not to mention that fire was horrendously dangerous, again, if you weren't animated.
  • Episode "Incognito" fell out of syndication after only a few airings. In it, Earl brought (and used) a pistol with him to class. This was, however, some time before the Columbine incident.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I was too young for Beavis and Butthead when it was a series, but I loved the movie when it came out. I was 9 when I first watched it, maybe I was still too young, but I loved the movie. Great example of a property catering itself to a wider market.

MTV cartoons like Beavis and Butthead, Daria, The Head, etc. always filled me with a sense of uneasiness. Like something wasn't right.