BEST TV Shows to watch... CURRENTLY...

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Crom bless you. You don't need to watch season 2.

Though I'll pray to any deity I need to that there is no second season.

I can only imagine how bad this show is. I feel I've received secondary trauma just from your descriptions of the episodes.
So yeah I wont be watching season 2 if there is going to be one. I dont know what angle they are going for but they basically did kill the MC in the last episode. At least I think its the last ep of the season, episode 9.

He allowed Cortana to take over his body (which would erase his consciousness, natch) so they could win some shit battle on what I can only assume to be a budget, 99 cent meal version of High Charity.

Truth be told tho, after she took over his body in the last minute of the episode the character was WAY more like the MC in the comics games. I kinda almost expected/hoped to hear Steve Downes respond when one of the characters asks him "Chief... is that you in there?" when they knew something was up.

Jesus christ not since the Last Jedi has someone gotten a character/franchise so ass backwards. Good job, people who made this show - you shit on a beloved franchise just like Disney did with the sequels.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Norm MacDonald: Nothing Special- I'm a Norm fan going back to the SNL days but I'm not a super fan. This special isn't what I thought it would which threw me a bit a first It's not a standup act, it's a one man hour long bit that he filmed at home. It's great no doubt, it just wasn't what I was expecting. It has more of a stream of consciousness flow like his podcast stuff but it's clearly a written out and well crafted "set" of sorts. Regardless of the format he's on point as always and has all the cantankerous charm that he's does so well. Solid watch, he will be missed.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Norm MacDonald: Nothing Special- I'm a Norm fan going back to the SNL days but I'm not a super fan. This special isn't what I thought it would which threw me a bit a first It's not a standup act, it's a one man hour long bit that he filmed at home. It's great no doubt, it just wasn't what I was expecting. It has more of a stream of consciousness flow like his podcast stuff but it's clearly a written out and well crafted "set" of sorts. Regardless of the format he's on point as always and has all the cantankerous charm that he's does so well. Solid watch, he will be missed.
I liked it, although I'd heard most of this material before. Part of it comes from things he'd said on talk show interviews, some came from things he'd said on his podcast, and a bit came from stuff I'd seen from fan uploaded videos of his near to final stand up shows which can be found on youtube. The material is still a bit rough, and he's clearly performing to himself on the computer screen, which you can tell by the facial expressions he's making.

The more interesting part for me was watching his comedian friends talking about him after the special. Even if Molly Shannon had to fight to insert herself into the conversation, which was a little awkward.

If you're a Norm fan, I HIGHLY recomend this fan-made documentary, which pulls back the curtain a little in a way not seen before, plus covers his battle and how this was actually something he struggled with for his entire adult life:

Extremely well done.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Watched the first few episodes of Undone. It's alright, seems a little smug in how clever it thinks it is and the bickering sister stuff got old real fast. The rotoscoping still suffers from the same problem it always has; when it works it's extremely effective but when it doesn't it immediately takes snaps you out of what's happening and looks flat, awkward and sometimes very cheap. Has a very Richard Linklater vibe. Problems aside it's fairly interesting, fun and moves at a good pace.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Has anyone seen Man Vs Food? (on the Cooking Channel)

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I can't stand the way what dude eats chicken wings. Just watch him in some of those episodes.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Has the History Channel been improving lately? I watched it during down time on a hotel stay and aside from a dumb reality series about guys “mining for Aztec gold,” there seemed to be more shows that were actually about history.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Has the History Channel been improving lately? I watched it during down time on a hotel stay and aside from a dumb reality series about guys “mining for Aztec gold,” there seemed to be more shows that were actually about history.

I have enjoyed the “X who built Y” series but they’re all overly dramatic and try to make characters out of these historical figures.

The ones about food and industry were entertaining.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
The Orville:

Well, shit. There goes that show - maybe?

I honestly don't know how to feel about it. The first 2 seasons were an unabashedly unsubtle love letter to TNG, with a little bit of humor thrown in (even if some of it was McFarlane's) and it just... worked. Somehow it just worked.

The first two episodes of season 3, which has a subtitle of "New Horizons" seems like they are abandoning the comedy aspect of it for the most part. There are a couple of jokes here and there, mainly Whedon-esque dialogue/banter based jokes. But nothing as goofy as say, Dann or even MacDonald's Yaphit from the previous seasons. The first episode was a continuation of the season finale of season 2, with the aftermath of the Kaylon attack and people reacting to the Kaylon that is still on the Orville (Isaac).

This second ep, the doctor, who isn't much of a great character - took center stage and it was essentially a haunted house episode. Sort of like Alien mixed with some elements of Event Horizon. It wasn't bad per se, but it just didn't feel the same.

Like I said, I don't know how to feel about it. On one hand, Im happy that they are trying to be more serious and basically be TNG season 8. But then I think - what about the comedy part of it, that's what made it so endearing before (if you can ignore McFarlane's preachiness about different things).

I dunno. I'll watch it, but so far it's honestly not as enjoyable as the first two seasons. It honestly makes me feel the same way I did/do about Young Justice. Two *awesome* first seasons, then season 3 gets all preachy and LGBTQ+ wokestyle and just isn't nearly as entertaining, and much more eye-roll inducing. Shit, I even just gave up on season 4 of Young Justice - aka WOKE Justice.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I have enjoyed the “X who built Y” series but they’re all overly dramatic and try to make characters out of these historical figures.

The ones about food and industry were entertaining.
I'm not sure History Channel ever really rose above that level, though, did it? I saw a dramatized program about, like, Dunkin Donuts, and then bits from the prestige-docuseries on Ulysses S. Grant and Teddy Roosevelt.

For what they were, I thought they were pretty good. TV primarily works to entertain, rather than educate, and the programming felt like the kind of thing that romances up the history enough that viewers might be inspired to learn more. It's the kind of programming that I associate with any feelings of good will I have toward the channel. (The blend felt much closer to "Modern Marvels/Nazi Superweapons" than "Ancient Aliens/Oak Island: Still Diggin'")

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Since finishing We Own This City and thoroughly not enjoying it I decided to re-watch The Wire.

I'm not one of those people that's like "What do you mean you haven't seen The Wire?!!!" but I do think it's an amazingly well made show especially in a time before big budget crime dramas were the norm and streaming services changed the way TV is made. It's so well written and handled character development in a way that was far before it's time. Everything feels natural, the dialogue, the character interactions, everything. There's no time wasting side drama that goes nowhere, there's no gimmicky cliffhangers just straight story and plot development. Most of all nothing is dumbed down, they expect you to pay attention. Very few shows are really on the same level.

And of course Omar is easily one of the greatest anti heroes in TV history.

Sublimewls

New Challenger
Since finishing We Own This City and thoroughly not enjoying it I decided to re-watch The Wire.

I'm not one of those people that's like "What do you mean you haven't seen The Wire?!!!" but I do think it's an amazingly well made show especially in a time before big budget crime dramas were the norm and streaming services changed the way TV is made. It's so well written and handled character development in a way that was far before it's time. Everything feels natural, the dialogue, the character interactions, everything. There's no time wasting side drama that goes nowhere, there's no gimmicky cliffhangers just straight story and plot development. Most of all nothing is dumbed down, they expect you to pay attention. Very few shows are really on the same level.

And of course Omar is easily one of the greatest anti heroes in TV history.

I agree with what you said about the wire. It was simply amazing and something I need to rewatch since it's been years since I have seen it. That's disappointing though about we own this city. I was hoping it was gonna pickup after where the wire left off (figuratively not literally).

Yellowstone is great in case someone has not given it a chance yet.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
So yeah I wont be watching season 2 if there is going to be one. I dont know what angle they are going for but they basically did kill the MC in the last episode. At least I think its the last ep of the season, episode 9.

He allowed Cortana to take over his body (which would erase his consciousness, natch) so they could win some shit battle on what I can only assume to be a budget, 99 cent meal version of High Charity.

Truth be told tho, after she took over his body in the last minute of the episode the character was WAY more like the MC in the comics games. I kinda almost expected/hoped to hear Steve Downes respond when one of the characters asks him "Chief... is that you in there?" when they knew something was up.

Jesus christ not since the Last Jedi has someone gotten a character/franchise so ass backwards. Good job, people who made this show - you shit on a beloved franchise just like Disney did with the sequels.

They should have just made a Halo movie. While Halo does have deep lore, Masterchief really isn't a deep protagonist. He's the fucking main character from doom in spaced up armor FFS.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Wholeheartedly agree, duf.

I was super excited about it when Neill Blomkamp was attached to make a Halo movie in like, what.. 2007? The shorts he made for Halo 3 (or Reach? - I wanna say Halo 3) were awesome, and with a bigger budget he could have made something great.

Granted, because of the stupidity of the studios and the movie getting canceled, we got a consolation that was District 9. But I would much rather have gotten a full budget Halo film from Blomkamp.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The Halo 3 shorts were incredible.

This feels like the Warcraft movie in some ways, in development hell and came out well past the games prime.

Halo: Reach was the last time I would say Halo was truly “big.”

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Not that you guys were going to watch it anyway but skip Ms. Marvel.

It’s a show about high schoolers for middle schoolers.

I’m not opposed to shows featuring younger characters but so far this does not seem aimed at a general audience. Definitely for a younger demographic.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Not that you guys were going to watch it anyway but skip Ms. Marvel.

It’s a show about high schoolers for middle schoolers.

I’m not opposed to shows featuring younger characters but so far this does not seem aimed at a general audience. Definitely for a younger demographic.
It seems exactly the same as all the other Disney Marvel shows.

Meaning, they have some likable characters and a good concept.

And then nothing happens and everything looks cheap.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
However Disney films these things does make it look cheap. It’s too clear and lacks that film aesthetic. It looks like they’re always on stages or fake sets.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
The Orville:

Well, shit. There goes that show - maybe?

I've been enjoying it. The third episode was pretty great save for the way they ended it. I do miss the jokes/ snark, but i think it gets made up for with a longer creative leash than they had when it was on network tv. Plus the longer runtimes let them flesh out the stories a little more.

The new "survivor" crew member super sucks though.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I think it was mentioned a few pages back but I cant be arsed so:

Night Sky

Thought it was pretty good, a bit slow at times. But overall interesting. Can't stand the Byron character though. He just seems like a pain in the ass, even the actor.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I enjoyed the series overall, great premise and I hope we get a season 2 but I don’t foresee this as a viable show beyond 3-4 seasons. We’ll see.