PS3 controllers suck*

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
MealyClumsyIrishwaterspaniel-size_restricted.gif

*at least their batteries. I love the form factor.

I just moved and was unpacking my gaming shit. ALL...not some...but ALL my PS3 controllers are dead and won't charge, including some new ones that came out of fresh PS Vita TV boxes. I replaced the batteries in one before moving...also dead. W in T actual F?

Did I travel through some intense EMF portal that kills PS3 controller batteries or is this a known thing?

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
I don't know how well known it is, but yeah, I know they don't hold a charge worth a shit over time.

It's all Sony gaming stuff, as far as I can tell.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Can PS4 controllers connect? I don’t think so, but I know with the Magic NS adapters they can.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Of all the PS controllers, I think the PS4 is the most comfy. I like the haptic stuff on the PS5 controller but I don't think it's all that necessary to enjoy the game. Some games (like Returnal) can get annoying quickly because of the rain effect.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
yeah, PS3 batteries are known for dying easily. I bought a replacement battery from eBay and it works fine now. not the easiest to take apart and put back together because of the weirdness with the shoulder buttons but once you figure it out it's fine.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Hmm. Never had an issue. I advise you use them more often, don’t charge them fully or discharge them fully before storage. Try to store them between 40-60%.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
What the actual fuck, I probably live in a parallel universe, those fuckers can hold a charge for days and put the battery hungry PS4 and 5 controllers to shame. Never had any issues with them on that regard.

It's undeniably cheap feeling though, and a fucking foam piece being the sole responsible for connecting the plastic button PCB to the main PCB via pressure is an unashamed programmed obsolescence move by Sony. Much more common to see controllers with phantom button presses or buttons that not work in my personal experience.

This combined with fakes flooding the market and Sony not giving a shit makes my 2 DS3s and my one Sixaxis items very prized possessions.