Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
So I'm not secretly deaf then? I'm seriously about to import those Sony Handy TV Speaker to be able to hear some movie dialogue without having the full building hearing the explosions echo through their walls

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
At home I hit the cc button in case people talk to softly. Mainly when it goes from crazy loud to very low.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Without Warning- This is pretty much Predator before Predator, a seemingly invisible alien hunts humans in the woods. Except instead of a badass intergalactic killing machine it's a goofy 50's style big head alien in an Elton John costume and instead of a shoulder mounted plasma cannon it throws flying ravioli. In fact the guy that plays the alien in this also played the Predator. It stars Martin Landau, Jack Palance, Cameron Mitchell and David Carusoe which is a really strange cast. It's looks and sounds awful, has terrible effects and is just generally borderline incompetent but it's still kind of awesome.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Nolan made it sound like it was an intentional choice
He does do shit like that. He is to sound as DPs who like to shoot in natural light. I remember people complaining about not being able to hear/understand Bane after seeing Rises in the theater.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I dislike Bane's voice in Rise and it can be difficult to understand at times because it's soft.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Bane is probably my favorite crazy movie voice of the past 20 years. Anything you have to say in any context throughout your day -- at home, out, at work, whatever -- is a hundred times better when you deliver it in that voice. The Christian Bale Batman voice is stupid and instantly irritating. But Tom Hardy's Bane voice elevates anything.

The scale is something like:

Annoying: Bale Batman-------------------Borat--------Doctor Evil---(midway point)---------------------------------------------Bane :Elevating

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Only thing I'd say is get past the second episode. The first episode is a little too tryhard (over-the-top violence and nonstop cursing). Once the show eases in, dials back a little on the cursing and gore and introduces their great takes on the some of the other characters (Bane, Ron Funches as King Shark, Clayface, etc.), it really hits its stride.

Spoiler:
The will they/won't they shit with Harley and Ivy got a little old after a while and I have the feeling they'll probably fuck it up in Season 3 but it was nice to see a lezzy romance that felt like it was given the proper amount of setup and wasn't just tacked on to please Twitter dipshits.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I saw SW Death Star … I mean Top Gun Maverick. I thought it was pretty good, the faceless enemy was a little weird. Miles Teller looked more like Anthony Edwards Goose than I thought he would (I actually saw the movie right outside Miles Tellers hometown incidentally), but his character wasn’t that developed, it was definitely the Maverick show. They didn’t even really address what happened even.

The guy from Everbody Wants Some, who sounds like Matthew McConaughey was a good Iceman character this time. Some of the other characters were kind of nerdy, not as macho as the first. Tough seeing Val Kilmer looking like that.

I can’t watch Jennifer Connelly anymore without thinking of Requiem For A Dream, and that scene, a movie I’d rather forget.

The dogfight scenes were excellent, all in all I liked it, nothing too deep.

Last edited:

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Looks pretty cool; I like that Hawkman is in it too.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I'm looking forward to hawkman too. I'd like it if black Adam had his cape. Just my opinion but I think he looks boring in a body suit for a superhero costume.

Otherwise, looking forward to it, hoping it ties in with Shazam more, I know side talk by DJ has been he wants to have a black Adam/superman conflict. Shazam has been one of my more favorite hero movies in recent memory.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Intriguing. Trailer alone gets my attention more than the past 8 years of MCU releases.

Side note, who's the next Superman? Warner finally got Batman right in the last one, Mamoa is obviously gold but then Ezra Miller over here kinda going oh no. Cavill is done with the role IIRC?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I think Cavill is sticking around on a part time basis ala MCU Hulk. Will show up in someone else's movie but isn't gonna get his own or be the main character any time soon.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
They should just replace Ezra Miller with John Wesley Shipp and not acknowledge that anything is different. He just ages 40 years in between scenes and nobody notices or says shit.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I think Cavill is sticking around on a part time basis ala MCU Hulk. Will show up in someone else's movie but isn't gonna get his own or be the main character any time soon.

That’s a smarter way to do Supes when everyone seems incapable of writing a good story for him.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Allegedly the Rock is adamant that Cavill should remain Superman, and there have been rumors that the higher ups at..WB? (Whoever owns the DCEU) are saying that they want all other Superman projects 86'ed and "start anew" with Cavill in the suit again.

I'm down for that. They are already fucking up with the black Superman thing being Kal-El instead of Calvin Ellis.